Uncontrolled huge burps in the office

One girl in the office not too far away burps about 3-4 times a day.

The burps are so loud and profound that about all 100 employees hear them and pack out laughing from time to time. She also has no remorse releasing the Kraken.

Now I’ve seen my fair share of TW’se and Chinese belching publicly and sometimes in my face without thinking twice but this case seems like a medical puzzle.

Anyone know what causes this or anything in the local food that promotes it?

They are the descendants of the Dragon! And you, mere mortal, have witnessed their majestic roars. The lady you describe probably just has more qi than average.

2 Likes

The friggin Chinese sausage seems like a huge culprit. Plus general ingestion of soy bean products and beverages that must be consumed with a straw.

[quote=“cyberguppy”]One girl in the office not too far away burps about 3-4 times a day.
[/quote]

I have met a least 3 Taiwanese girls who also burps loudly, but they do so because they have trouble burping and they have to try to force the burp out to release the pressure. The process seems painful, as it often bring them to tears, and some times followed by a series of coughs.

I’ve asked if they tried to find out the cause, they say both TCM and western medicine doctors offers no explanation or solutions. Some of them avoids soda, in fear of having to burp, some drinks it deliberately so they can force the burp out.

I have no idea what’s causing it, and I’ve only met Taiwanese girls who experience this.

Better it comes out that end.

1 Like

I’m going with garlic. The garlic added to the soggy A-cai or spinach they eat at lunch. Their delicate little tum-tums can’t digest that much garlic without repercussions, but the pigs that they are they still eat it.

Here’s the athlete formerly known as Lance on the issue:
livestrong.com/article/50881 … to-garlic/

In the bay area, garlic is added to just about anything. Garlic fries being the most famous. I’ve even seen people toasting a entire bulb of garlic, then spread them on to toasts to make real “garlic bread” (tastes amazing btw), never met a person with this problem…

I did 5 mins research on the interwebs so I’m an authority.

since there seems to be no other viable answer, I bow to your authority, or something that Sherlock Holmes said to that effect.

It’s just that burp doesn’t offend taiwanese.

They just don’t mind it.

maybe try letting off a massive fart in retaliation.

… and act completely unphased.

“Who, Me?”

Oddly enough, in my big open space office it’s mostly (elder) women who are systematically burping. Dudes have the monopoly of clearing their throats with a huge gross sound before spitting in the sink and/or blowing their noses with their fingers.

Visions of pure beauty all around.

[quote=“urodacus”]maybe try letting off a massive fart in retaliation.

“Who, Me?”[/quote]

An excellent suggestion in any context.

[quote=“Tomas”][quote=“urodacus”]maybe try letting off a massive fart in retaliation.

“Who, Me?”[/quote]

An excellent suggestion in any context.[/quote]

Fart-boy’s back. :laughing:

That’s what I wanted to say but different … they burp because they don’t want to fart … farting stinks … mostly! :smiley:

[quote=“Kawa”]Oddly enough, in my big open space office it’s mostly (elder) women who are systematically burping. Dudes have the monopoly of clearing their throats with a huge gross sound before spitting in the sink and/or blowing their noses with their fingers.

Visions of pure beauty all around.[/quote]
You still don’t get it … It’s a cultural thing and you don’t get Taiwanese culture … it’s not rude or digusting doing that in public. But remember who is doing the snot thing, don’t shake his hands or touch anything he’s touched! :ohreally:

People don’t like sneezing though, which is something I do quite regularly due to allergies :slight_smile:.
So a bout of sneezing will even the score.

1 Like

A few years ago my daughter was diagnosed with GERD. The nausea and gagging and accompanying migraines went away after two months but since then she’s been able to burp on demand. Maybe your colleague has a similar problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had a student who did this. The problem was solved by making fun of her.

WHen she does it, say “wow, sooo loud/disgusting” etc. She’ll lose face and stop.