Universities in Taiwan: MBA and English Language Programs

Am toying with the idea of going back to school with this mba offered by National Taiwan University.
Have about 4 yrs working experience under my belt, relatively alright grades for my B.Eng, so I think admission as a Foreign student shouldn’t pose much issue.

Question is how good is this course? How valuable in the workplace (overseas as well - is it even recognized?)
Anyone done it or know of one who has?
Any advice/info would be most welcome, thanks in advance.

This thread has some of the answers you seek:

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=75997

I am concerned though with the frequent questions about whether degrees even from state universities in Taiwan are recognized abroad. Why is this so? If it is because of not having diplomatic relations?

I am worried that someone is being told otherwise.

I’m curious as to what sense “recognized” has in the OP. I read it fairly loosely initially (i.e. not as a matter of official recognition but just whether or not a Taiwanese diploma has value in the marketplace) but I’m starting to doubt my initial reading.

lemur, both actually :slight_smile:
Firstly, if a Taiwanese MBA has value abroad and secondly, if it was officially recognized (checked up but I don’t see NTU in the AACSB list - should I be concerned?)

[quote=“cinq”]lemur, both actually :slight_smile:
Firstly, if a Taiwanese MBA has value abroad and secondly, if it was officially recognized (checked up but I don’t see NTU in the AACSB list - should I be concerned?)[/quote]

1. Yes, because NTU, NCCU, ChiaoTung and others have achieved partnerships and recognition from several international bodies for many years. :s

Otherwise, how can Taiwan be a major exporter of foreign students for masters degrees in the States and UK, only recently surpassed by the Chinese? :smiley:

You can also cheack the ranking for universities in Asia and worldwide, by several publications like BusinessWeekly, or FEER, and you will see where NTU and others stand there.

As we have already discussed, the value of a degree from Taiwan depends on what you want to do with it, connections made, etc. Check previous threads.

1. As to AACSB, that is one of the accreditations they use here:

In the AACSB webpage I see Chiao Tung, Fu Jen, Tamkang, etc… even NTU.

[code]National Central University (Chinese Taipei)
National Chengchi University (Chinese Taipei)
National Cheng Kung University (Chinese Taipei)
National Chiao-Tung University (Chinese Taipei)
National Chung Cheng University (Chinese Taipei

National Sun Yat-sen University (Chinese Taipei)
National Taipei University (Chinese Taipei)
National Taiwan University (Chinese Taipei)
National Taiwan University of Science and Technology (Chinese Taipei)

National Yunlin University of Science & Technology (Chinese Taipei)

[/code]
http://www.aacsb.edu/General/Instlists.asp?lid=1

all under CHINESE TAIPEI! :fume: :fume: :fume:

Oh well… Sigh “A rose by any other name…” it’s still accredited, so there should not be a reason to be concerned here.

Hi, did you apply for the Global MBA at national taiwan university in taipei city??

I already applied!

Accordng to my sources, NTU is the best universisty in taiwan and one of the best in Portugal.
Webmetrics says that NTU is the number 2 in asia. However, a chinese friend that i have said the government paid to have that high score. So, i am not able to know if it is true or not.

If you want to start a career in taiwan or even in an asian country, NTU is a good choice. :slight_smile:

Now, i just hope to be in. I do not know my chances. Do you know if there alre a lot of foreign students applying to Global MBA at NTU? The results will come out may 9th…too late! grrr!

IF someone knows about that…just tell me!

Best Regards
Pedro

Shoul i apply for another MBA in taiwan or…is almost sure that NTU global MBA will accept me??

they have like 30 vacancies for international students!

at the moment NTU’s MBA is not accredited, but NCCU’s is…for whatever it is worth.

timmy, according to the link Icon gave above, it is.

I researched them all about a month ago, and that is what I found out. If you really want to know I suggest contacting NTU directly. They will be more than happy to supply you with whatever information you seek.

Pedro,

You better get some backup. Yes, 30 vacancies, but then each allied country gets between 10 to 20 scholarships -plus all extra students going in through exchanges or paying their own. Meaning it usually does get a bit crowded. (though in this economy, who knows?)

And everyone wants to get to NTU not because it is good in that particular field -it is famous for being good in law and medicine- but because it is the most renowed university, and being the “national” -meaning carrying “Taiwan” in it’s name- you do not have to explain so much where you graduated… (unless the people confuse it with Thailand, but that’s another story).

Please be advised that NTU’s MBA as far as I knew from sources inside is not 100% English. How’s your Chinese?

Timmy, NTU’s MBA was last -and through some hardships- accredited. NCCU was one of the first. :smiley:

Could you post some of the links you consulted? It would help others to have aditional sources of data regarding colleges here. Thank you in advance.

Could you post some of the links you consulted? It would help others to have aditional sources of data regarding colleges here. Thank you in advance.[/quote]

I’m not trying to be difficult here, but if you seriously are considering trying to get into NTU for an MBA, you really should just contact the school for the information you want. It is an advanced degree, so you should be able to gather research by yourself. I am a lazy bum, and one of the reasons I have yet to apply to a grad school is because of all the application nonsense. (and the $). Many of the MBA programs had information sessions before Chinese New Year, and that is where most of my info comes from. But seriously, contact the school.

By the way, whether the school is accredited or not, in regards to an MBA, should only really matter if you want to continue your education past an MBA. A major part of what an MBA program gives you is contacts/networking. I don’t think many companies will cry about which school is accredited by what educational body (at least not the private sector).

If you really want to go, or are interested, just contact the school. They will give you more than enough info. Also, prepare for a decent amount of competition. The people I met at the open house/info sessions had some serious business history.

The one who wants to go is Pedro, and he’s especifically asking for the Global MBA at NTU. I already have a degree from NCCU. That is why I am answering from my experience and also because some other people have come to me, as alumni, to answer their inquiries. The problem with “contacting the university” is that they will say, of course, they are all rightie, all the i’s are dotted and t’s crossed… I believe in Murphy’s law. Plus, I only have friends and fellow students at NTU, I chose not to go there even though I was accepted. I cannot talk with the same kind of knowledge about the programs there as someone who has already gone through the hoops especifically there.

I tell everybody, yes, go there, but also try to LISTEN IN one of the classes. The whole class. Talk to CURRENT students. Get a feel of the environment and how things work.

International students may not be able to do this, so links to chats or webpages, blogs or newspaper and magazines articles also give them a feel of the land before the plunge.

I really apreciate your comments!
My girlfriend who is a taiwanese girl told me that NTU was the best unviersity there. i also talked to other people and they tell me the same. However, i did not talk to someone who already attended Global MBA at NTU.

The classes are all in english( GMBA) although the other master’s have a mix between english and chinese.

Well…i am really afraid of not to be in the Global MBA.
i HAVE A GPA OF 2,41 out of 4 (MANAGEMENT)which is normal ( the number of credits i did in Portugal is considered a master’s degree in the USA, HOWEver in portugal is just a 5 years bachelor’s degree., but i had a very high score in TOEFL ibt, 101 out of 120.
I have more than 2 years of working experience in a bank and also i studied in the USA for 1 year where i got a lot of A’s and B’s in the one year english course at a very famous university top 50 in the USA. In addition, during the time i was in the USA, i got a teaching certificate TESOL, in the top 25% of class.

So…what you guys thing about my acceptance at global MBA in NTU??

If you do not speak Mandarin, it is important for you to understand that the classes will NOT in fact be all in English. According to the brochure, 61% of the students are Taiwanese. As a result, many of the classes will be conducted partially to fully in Mandarin. The administration of these programs promise English-only programs but they cannot deliver them because Taiwanese students have limited English and the faculty cannot and will not be compelled to teach in English. In practice, the working language of the program will almost certainly be Mandarin.

If you do not speak Mandarin, it is important for you to understand that the classes will NOT in fact be all in English. According to the brochure, 61% of the students are Taiwanese. As a result, many of the classes will be conducted partially to fully in Mandarin. The administration of these programs promise English-only programs but they cannot deliver them because Taiwanese students have limited English and the faculty cannot and will not be compelled to teach in English. In practice, the working language of the program will almost certainly be Mandarin.[/quote]

Did you get this info directly from someone in the program? This would be an extremely important point for anyone considering attending, so some first hand knowledge would be key to make sure.

That is what I have heard from people in other MBA programs (Chengkung, Jiaoda). Here’s what someone who did another MBA program at Taida said:

[quote]
He said the main thing he had heard is that having to pick the teaching staff from among those who speak English sufficiently well rather limits the teaching talent and thus the quality of teaching. He said that the quality of teaching makes a huge difference on an MBA. But he also said he hadn’t heard any complaints about the quality of the English on the course.[/quote]

So it may be that the classes are actually taught for the most part in English. I still have serious doubts about this.

that’s fine to hear different opinios about the GMBA at NTU. However, i still think ti is a good asset to have if i want to have a work experience in taipei!

Actually, at this moment i do not discuss wheter the GMba is good or not because i cannot say for sure that i am in. The supply is 3 times higher than the demand. So, i guess it mean the GMBA has quality. Also, i figuered out the correct algorithm to count how many students submited their application form online. Just because of this i guess i should be addmited! eheh

Keep giving your opinions about GMBA, tHEy will be very welcome for those who intend to go for it!

Zai jian!