Upcoming Music Events in Taiwan

OK, kids. Here’s something to kick off the Forumosa Gig Ticker. Feel free to pile on.

*** These are the most “notable” shows coming to Taipei (or somewhere else in Taiwan) in the foreseeable future, though by no means a comprehensive study – and notable is in quotations because this list is only notable as far as I am concerned. For instance, Korean pop stars Super Junior are coming - to Xinzhuang, to be exact - for two days in December. Not notable, as far as I’m concerned. Thusly, I mention few local artists and exactly zero DJs, since the local kids can promote themselves and DJs aren’t notable for anything. Unless you’re Kasey Kasem, and then…

[super]"Is Don on the phone? Okay. I want a goddamn concerted effort to come out of a record that isn’t a fucking up-tempo record every time I do a goddamn death dedication! Now make it—and I also wanna know what happened to the pictures I was supposed to see this week! This is the god—last goddamn time. I want somebody to use his fucking brain to not come out of a goddamn record that is—that’s up-tempo and I gotta talk about a fucking dog dying!”[/super]

Sat. October 31, 2015 - 4:00 PM
Clandestined
Jack Studio
No. 76, Kunming St., Taipei City, Taiwan
TAIPEI DEATH METAL FEST 2015
With SEED (韓國), Revilement (臺灣), Hydrophobia (Japan)(日本), Vapahtaja (芬蘭), Stench of Lust(加拿大), Brain Corrosion (臺灣)

Just a hunch, but I’ll bet Hydrophobia is probably worth the [strike]hemorrhoids[/strike] heartache of attending this gig. Otherwise, Stench of Lust sounds like a bunch of regular Boy Scouts. At least we know that Taipei has a death metal scene.

Sat. October 31, 2015 - 7:00 PM
Naja
Korner
No. 200, Sec 4, Roosevelt Rd., Taipei City, Taiwan
With what appears to be a couple of DJs and I dunno

Naja is both a line of “premium lingerie with a social impact” and a German thrash metal band. Pretty sure the latter will be performing.

I dunno about you, but I’m in no hurry to see these cats.

Sun. November 1, 2015 - 7:00 PM
Pat Bianchi Music
TAICHUNG JAZZ FESTIVAL
Taichung City, Taiwan
With The Pat Martino Trio

Took a quick glance at Pat Bianchi’s promo photo and mistook the synthesizer for an accordion, which was a complete disappointment, since, fucking hell, when was the last time we had a famous accordion player in Taiwan? Don’t answer that. Or at least don’t reply to this thread with a ham-fisted comment. Yes, that means you, Rocket.

Wed. November 4, 2015 - 7:30 PM
Michael Learns to Rock
Taipei World Trade Center Nangang Exhibition Hall
Jing Mao 2nd Rd., Taipei City, Taiwan

Holy fucking shit! Mid-90s Danish soft rock! Jesus, Mary, and Joseph. I want to go just to heckle them.

Thu November 5, 2015 - 7:00 PM
Elton John Experience
Elton Experience with Orchestra - Celebrity Millennium Cruise Ship
Taipei, Taiwan
Performing Elton Show on board ship, Taipei to Hanoi

According to the website, “The ELTON JOHN EXPERIENCE is the INTERNATIONALLY acclaimed Elton John Tribute Show starring Greg Andrew as Sir Elton John". Thanks, Australia.

Sun. November 29, 2015 - 7:00 PM
Earth, Wind and Fire
ATT Show Box, No. 5 Xinyi Road, Section 5
Taipei, Taiwan
With Experience

Hey, if Earff, Winn’n Firah is your thing, by all means, run, don’t walk to this gig, which features the majority of the classic line-up (incl. Maurice White and Phillip Bailey)

Sat. December 5, 2015 - 7:00 PM
Bob Log III
TIGER MOUNTAIN FESTIVAL
Taipei, Taiwan

At least one Forumosan will be at this gig, for sure.

Thu. & Sat. February 4 & 6, 2016 - 8:00 PM
Madonna
Taipei Arena
Taipei City, Taiwan

It’s true. Lady Gaga’s mother is coming to town.

[quote=“super_lucky”]
Or at least don’t reply to this thread with a ham-fisted comment. Yes, that means you, Rocket.[/quote]

“Ham-fisted”? EXCUSE me??? I’m calling the frigging Mod, man.
Jeez, guy fucks Christie Brinkley and suddenly he’s frigging Lester Bang & Olufsen. :unamused:

So is that the real Bob Log or is he an impersonator too?

[quote]Sun. November 29, 2015 - 7:00 PM
Earth, Wind and Fire
Taipei, Taiwan
With Experience
[/quote]

That sounds nice. Starting at 3200 ntds though, a bit ouch ouch.

Now, if I had 30K… Madonna first row that would be for me. :roflmao: Couldn’t even get the 800 nose bleed ticket.

Alas, we do not get Juan Luis Guerra or any Latinos, they only go to Japan. :cry: Or Rick Astley.

Ok, sincerely, I am pissed we do not get CCR or at least John Foggerty here.

[quote=“Rocket”][quote=“super_lucky”]
Or at least don’t reply to this thread with a ham-fisted comment. Yes, that means you, Rocket.[/quote]

Jeez, guy fucks Christie Brinkley and suddenly he’s frigging Lester Bang & Olufsen. :unamused:

So is that the real Bob Log or is he an impersonator too?[/quote]

I’m fairly certain the mods have granted us carte blanche to take swings at each other, as long as no innocent bystanders are hurt. :smiley:

[quote=“Icon”][quote]Sun. November 29, 2015 - 7:00 PM
Earth, Wind and Fire
Taipei, Taiwan
With Experience
[/quote]

Now, if I had 30K… Madonna first row that would be for me. :roflmao: Couldn’t even get the 800 nose bleed ticket.

Alas, we do not get Juan Luis Guerra or any Latinos, they only go to Japan. :cry: Or Rick Astley.

Ok, sincerely, I am pissed we do not get CCR or at least John Foggerty here.[/quote]

Haven’t come across any Latin shows after several searches, but when I do, I’ll post 'em here.

Indeed, John Fogerty would be miraculous, but he is doing eight shows at the Venetian in Las Vegas as part of a “Peace, Love, and Creedence” campaign in January 2016; he’s got a memoir to promote, Fortunate Son: My Life, My Music. Here’s the Amazon link. http://www.amazon.com/Fortunate-Son-My-Life-Music/dp/0316244570 Seats in the back are going for $59.50 - there’s one front row seat left for the Jan. 8 show at $350. I would imagine the hypothetical seats at Taipei Arena would be 2X that, right out of the box? At least. $350 for front row in Vegas seems almost reasonable to me, though I’m not paying for it, you know?

I’m really digging his shirt on the cover.

[quote=“super_lucky”][quote=“Rocket”][quote=“super_lucky”]

I’m fairly certain the mods have granted us carte blanche to take swings at each other, as long as no innocent bystanders are hurt. :smiley:[/quote]

Yeah, it was a patently empty threat.
It’s a pretty safe bet that any communications from me are not only ON their PNM list, I’m doubtless a serious contender for first place.

Wait a minute…did you say “fisted”??? :noway:

Uhm…

Taiwanese Death metal? er… I’m already too old for Morbid Angel, Obituary, and others of the kind, but this could be fun. Perhaps a good laugh too.

There’s an artist that I was expecting to see here, and so far no luck. Doesn’t Hiromi Uehara ever drop by Taiwan, bring from Japan?

[quote=“Rocket”][quote=“super_lucky”][quote=“Rocket”][quote=“super_lucky”]

I’m fairly certain the mods have granted us carte blanche to take swings at each other, as long as no innocent bystanders are hurt. :smiley:[/quote]

Yeah, it was a patently empty threat.
It’s a pretty safe bet that any communications from me are not only ON their PNM list, I’m doubtless a serious contender for first place.

Wait a minute…did you say “fisted”??? :noway:[/quote]

No, you read that wrong. I said “mixed race douchebag.”

Pat Bianchi plays the organ, that’s an organ not a synth. That’s all I got for now.

[quote=“jesus80”]Uhm…

Taiwanese Death metal? er… I’m already too old for Morbid Angel, Obituary, and others of the kind, but this could be fun. Perhaps a good laugh too.

There’s an artist that I was expecting to see here, and so far no luck. Doesn’t Hiromi Uehara ever drop by Taiwan, bring from Japan?[/quote]

Yes, she performed with her band Sonic Boom at the National Concert Hall quite a few years back. Fantastic show and good audience turnout. Don’t know if she’s been back since then.

[quote=“Rotalsnart”][quote=“jesus80”]Uhm…

There’s an artist that I was expecting to see here, and so far no luck. Doesn’t Hiromi Uehara ever drop by Taiwan, bring from Japan?[/quote]

Yes, she performed with her band Sonic Boom at the National Concert Hall quite a few years back. Fantastic show and good audience turnout. Don’t know if she’s been back since then.[/quote]

She’s in Europe (Serbia tomorrow night - is that Europe?) until December, then she’ll stop in KL for a gig, and then back to Japan for a dozen shows in Tokyo and Osaka. Her 2016 touring schedule has her in Switzerland and the U.S. through March. That could change, I reckon.

[quote=“super_lucky”][quote=“Rotalsnart”][quote=“jesus80”]Uhm…

Yes, she performed with her band Sonic Boom at the National Concert Hall quite a few years back. Fantastic show and good audience turnout. Don’t know if she’s been back since then.[/quote]

She’s in Europe (Serbia tomorrow night - is that Europe?) until December, then she’ll stop in KL for a gig, and then back to Japan for a dozen shows in Tokyo and Osaka. Her 2016 touring schedule has her in Switzerland and the U.S. through March. That could change, I reckon.[/quote]

Guy fucks Christie Brinkley and all of a sudden he’s frigging Colonel Tom Sanders. :unamused:

Colonel Sanders did Billy Joel’s bird? That’s like yeah but whatif.

[quote=“super_lucky”][quote=“Icon”][quote]Sun. November 29, 2015 - 7:00 PM
Earth, Wind and Fire
Taipei, Taiwan
With Experience
[/quote]

Ok, sincerely, I am pissed we do not get CCR or at least John Foggerty here.[/quote]

Haven’t come across any Latin shows after several searches, but when I do, I’ll post 'em here.

Indeed, John Fogerty would be miraculous, but he is doing eight shows at the Venetian in Las Vegas as part of a “Peace, Love, and Creedence” campaign in January 2016; he’s got a memoir to promote, Fortunate Son: My Life, My Music. Here’s the Amazon link. http://www.amazon.com/Fortunate-Son-My-Life-Music/dp/0316244570 Seats in the back are going for $59.50 - there’s one front row seat left for the Jan. 8 show at $350. I would imagine the hypothetical seats at Taipei Arena would be 2X that, right out of the box? At least. $350 for front row in Vegas seems almost reasonable to me, though I’m not paying for it, you know?

I’m really digging his shirt on the cover.

[/quote]

Juan Luis Guerra did a great one in Japan in 2009. And they do have occasionally Latin stars showing up, at least once a year, in Japan.

There was an 80’s music concert in Singapore a couple of years ago. Rick Astley was there, as well as other classics from that era, like Debbie Gibson. I was so tempted… LOL.

Foggerty was touring the US before settling in Las Vegas. Couldn’t convince one of my uncles to accompany me. If I go to Vegas, I hope I can put that jig together with a sci fi convention or something.

Interestingly enough, I am wearing a flannel shirt similar to that one today.

Don’t get me started on heavy metal or even plain ol rock music. Central America gets Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden and Megadeth. We here in Taiwan get Air Supply and an Elton John impersonator… :cry:

10:47 am and you’re already pissed?

Do you work with Sandman??

[quote=“Icon”]Juan Luis Guerra did a great one in Japan in 2009. And they do have occasionally Latin stars showing up, at least once a year, in Japan.

There was an 80’s music concert in Singapore a couple of years ago. Rick Astley was there, as well as other classics from that era, like Debbie Gibson. I was so tempted… LOL.

Foggerty was touring the US before settling in Las Vegas. Couldn’t convince one of my uncles to accompany me. If I go to Vegas, I hope I can put that jig together with a sci fi convention or something.

Interestingly enough, I am wearing a flannel shirt similar to that one today.

Don’t get me started on heavy metal or even plain ol rock music. Central America gets Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden and Megadeth. We here in Taiwan get Air Supply and an Elton John impersonator… :cry:[/quote]

I love that you are almost unapologetic of your appreciation for Rick Astley. I spent years in the Hall & Oates closet until I met someone with the same fetish. Anyway, my appreciation for Mr. Astley is strictly professional.

Back when I was a working musician, my band shared a practice space with this cat who had a collection of Casio keyboards, and at some point, i bought a couple off him, including a CA-100, which has “Together Forever” (Rick Astley) as the built-in demo song. So we had an original song that needed a cheesy keyboard riff, and the CA-100 became a regular part of my set-up. One day we were having some kind of drug-addled argument about nothing, and I couldn’t take it anymore, so I cranked up the CA-100 and hit the DEMO button. Bam! Everybody stops dead. “Turn that shit off!!!” “You fucker!!!” “Stop it!!!” The bass player tripped on his guitar cable trying to get at me. Three Stooges scramble ensued. From that point forward, whenever somebody got out of line in practice or at a show - Pow! - you’re gonna get 5 minutes of “Together Forever”, unless you had the chops to come over and knock me out. Nobody did. And I would sing it note-for-note, spitefully. Over and over. The boys hated that fucking keyboard more than I hate styrofoam. They begged me to use a different keyboard - Christ, I had a Juno 106 and a Moog Prodigy - but nope, no dice. Last year, I finally donated it to Goodwill. I hope someone has as much fun with it as I did.

I am faithful to my men. I stick to my favorites: Chayanne and Rick Astley and CCR. There is a reason it is 2015 and we are still getting RickRolled.

[quote=“Rotalsnart”]
Damnit, I really want to see her again (I’m sure she also wants to see me too :smiley:)

Absolutely nothing wrong with Hall & Oats. And the more recent Live from Daryl’s House songs on YouTube are great (he sings with everyone from Smokey Robinson to Company of Thieves). Daryl’s “I Miss You” also in that series (with John Oats as backup) is one of the best examples of “you’ve got to have the blues to play the blues” you’ll see on YouTube.

Can we get back to listing some upcoming music events like this topic subject.

Like this weekend is an outdoor indie music festival starting at 1 p.m. on Saturday and Sunday at Huashan Park Taipei.