Upcoming Music Events in Taiwan

Madonna. February 2016. Get your tickets now!

[quote=“tango42”]Can we get back to listing some upcoming music events like this topic subject.

Like this weekend is an outdoor indie music festival starting at 1 p.m. on Saturday and Sunday at Huashan Park Taipei.[/quote]
I’ll make sure I don’t pass near there :smiley:

Bon Iver Feb. 12

Bob Log III Dec 5th in Taipei. facebook.com/events/1660425264236532/

BUMP…Bon Iver this Wednesday…good tickets available. Highly recommend this gig.

BUMP…Bon Iver this Wednesday…good tickets available. Highly recommend this gig.[/quote]

Slim pickins, but here we are.

***Tix prices in New Taiwan Dollars

Feb. 24
Bon Iver @ Taipei Int’l Convention Center (TICC)
Cheapest seat in the house is $1,650. Capital-P plenty of tix still available. $4,200 will put you so close to the stage you’ll scare the band. Have fun with that. http://www.viagogo.com/tw/Concert-Tickets/Country-and-Folk/Bon-Iver-Tickets/E-1367672

Feb. 29
5 Seconds of Summer @ NTU Sports Center
Approx. $2,000 will put you in the nosebleed section for One Direction Lite. [Above link will take you there, but I dunno about getting you home.]

Mar. 2
Diana Krall @ Chiang Kai-shek Monument of Hubris and Shame aka the National Theater
I guess it’s a little too late for Mel Torme to storm through town, so scooby-doobie-doo. I hope she does that one. You can’t even get in the door for less than $3,250.

Mar. 14
Richard Marx @ TICC
Who needs Air Supply when you can mainline this jackass? He’s from my hometown. I can and will call him a jackass to his fucking face if I want. But I’m not paying $2,300 for the pleasure.

May 21
Damien Rice @ TICC
Who is this guy? Some kind of Irish John Prine? Or a cut-out bin James Blunt? I don’t get it. He had one hit (“The Blower’s Daughter”) in 2001. 2001.

Oh boy, are we in for a treat on May 7 at Taipei World Trade Center Nangang Exhibition Hall.

Olivia Newton-John

Tickets start at NT$2,950 and I see second row seats are going for NT$20,000. :bravo:

Show “starts” at 7:30 p.m.

Only other artist of negligible note is Redfoo from LMFAO, coming to play some summer festival. Will post more info once I find the website.

xD

OK, this one is big. Might deserve a thread of its own:

[quote]Taipei, July 26 (CNA) British rock band Queen is set to hold its first ever concert in Taiwan in September.

Queen, fronted by “American Idol” star Adam Lambert rather than the original and legendary late Freddie Mercury, will perform at the Taipei World Trade Center Nangang Exhibition Hall Sept. 19.

The Taipei concert is part of the “Queen + Adam Lambert Asian Tour,” which will also bring the band and Lambert to Israel, Singapore, Japan, China, Hong Kong and Thailand.

Tickets to the concert range from NT$2,500 (US$77.8) to NT$6,800 and are being sold by tixCraft.
[/quote]

Quite reasonable prices. Hope to get one ticket. :thumbsup:

Indeed. I’m saddling up the high horse just in case. :fume:

[quote=“Icon”]Taipei, July 26 (CNA) British rock band Queen is set to hold its first ever concert in Taiwan in September.

Queen, fronted by “American Idol” star Adam Lambert rather than the original and legendary late Freddie Mercury, will perform at the Taipei World Trade Center Nangang Exhibition Hall Sept. 19.

The Taipei concert is part of the “Queen + Adam Lambert Asian Tour,” which will also bring the band and Lambert to Israel, Singapore, Japan, China, Hong Kong and Thailand.

Tickets to the concert range from NT$2,500 (US$77.8) to NT$6,800 and are being sold by tixCraft.
[/quote]

Freddie supposedly told his people that he didn’t care what they did with his image after he was gone; his only request was: “Don’t make me boring.”

Have they failed him?

EDIT: formatting

Elvis is coming…Elvis!

Fri. July 28 – Sun., July 30 @ TWTC Nangang Exhibition Hall, Taipei, Taiwan

Super Slippa 2016 Taipei Super Summer Music Festival

[color=#4040BF]Mayday (五月天), Jolin Tsai, Stereophonics, Kula Shaker, Carly Rae Jepsen, Redfoo, LMFAO, Slot Machine, Tegan and Sara, Birdy, and Man With a Mission, Rita Ora, etc.[/color]

Event Facebook page
https://www.facebook.com/ssuperslipper

Tix available here; (mostly) in Chinese

http://tixcraft.com/activity/detail/16_SLIPPA1

Straight Offa Google Translate

[quote=“super_lucky”]Ticket price: seat (NT $3500 / NT $2500), stations (NT $1500)
Set ticket: three-day package [World] rock zone NT $9500 (NT $3500 the same seat ticket X3日)
The 3rd Package [rock station area / station roaming area] NT $3500 (NT $1500 standing tickets X3日)[/quote]

So, it looks like NT$9,500 will get you in for the whole festival.

Here’s what I know about the bands listed.

[ul][color=#808000]Mayday = Taiwanese arena rock (?)
Jolin = Taiwanese pop
Stereophonics = I’m guessing some outfit involving a turntable and a guy wearing headphones; could be wrong but can’t be arsed to find out
Kula Shaker = Former one-kinda-hit wonder from – gasp – the 90s? The lead guy Crispian Mills is the son of '60s actress Hayley Mills, which means he might be older than me
Carly Rae Jepsen = Sings that one song my kid likes
Redfoo/LMFAO = Berry Gordy’s supremely untalented offspring
Slot Machine = Nothing
Tegan and Sara = Twin sisters doing Bright Eyes covers
Birdy = The female Bon Iver; wake me when her set is over and we’ll go grab a sno-cone, whaddya say?
Man With a Mission = Nothing, but I hate their name
Rita Ora = Is she the one who used to be a dude?[/color][/ul]

August 14 @ Taipei Arena

[color=#4040BF]Kenny Rogers[/color]

I ain’t frontin’ on Kenny. He’s got 120+ worldwide hit singles, has sold over 120 million records, and used to have his name on a chicken franchise that still exists, believe it or not, and makes a really tasty bird (Kenny Rogers’ Roasters – Metro Manila area).

Tix on Viagogo.com are going for $NT 2,500 - $15,000

August 17 @ The Wall Live House Gongguan, Taipei

[color=#4040BF]Of Montreal[/color]

If you’re familiar with the Elephant 6 collective (c.g. Apples in Stereo, Olivia Tremor Control, Neutral Milk Hotel, Beulah, Elf Power, The Minders, etc.) then you should have working knowledge of Kevin Barnes and his band, which has changed musical directions with just about every album. They have a new record coming out in August on Polyvinyl, and their previous effort (Aureate Glooms) was heavily influenced by late 70s New York rock and punk (Television, Talking Heads) - I give it 3/5 stars. This new record is supposed to be drawn from current sources, I dunno. That’s what they’re saying over at Rolling Stone. The point is, at least they’re on the RS radar. I guess that makes 'em notable.

All that said, I have owned and loved a copy of their 2004 effort, Satanic Panic in the Attic, which contains one of the greatest song titles of all-time, “Vegan in Furs”.

October 3 @ TWTC Nangang Exhibition Hall, Taipei

[color=#4040BF]Scorpions[/color]

I think shows like Scorpions at TWTC Nangang genuinely give me reason to live. Having seen them a few times in their true heyday (esp. the Blackout Tour, 1982) and at least once during the long sad decline into a punchline from Spinal Tap (Unbreakable, 2004) playing a state fair, my relationship with the Scorps has been up and down. Here’s the thing about these cats: You could put Klaus Meine in front of a string quartet and it would still be the Scorps. He is the band, and he’s fucking 68 years old. Anyway, there’s no way in hell I’d shell out whatever they’re asking for tickets, but here’s why the show is so important to me. If things ever get so bad that I’m in the pits of blackness and depression, sometime around, let’s say, early October, I can always say to myself, “Well, the Scorps are playing Wednesday night. I could always go see that.”

If you were referring to Elvis Costello, he’s…kind of coming…to Japan and Singapore for a handful of dates in early September. Osaka, two shows in Tokyo, then on to Chinese Malaysia for the last gig. It’s a good year to be an EC fan in the U.S. as he’s doing shitloads of shows this fall (ostensibly in tandem with promo for his book, Unfaithful Music & Disappearing Ink).

[quote=“super_lucky”]
I ain’t frontin’ on Kenny. He’s got 120+ worldwide hit singles, has sold over 120 million records, and used to have his name on a chicken franchise that still exists, believe it or not, and makes a really tasty bird (Kenny Rogers’ Roasters – Metro Manila area). [/quote]

I think this website is older than you

And yet… I Think Maybe I like Jolin very much more…

If you were referring to Elvis Costello, he’s…kind of coming…to Japan and Singapore for a handful of dates in early September. Osaka, two shows in Tokyo, then on to Chinese Malaysia for the last gig. It’s a good year to be an EC fan in the U.S. as he’s doing shitloads of shows this fall (ostensibly in tandem with promo for his book, Unfaithful Music & Disappearing Ink).[/quote]

September 14, CKS Hall, its announced and shit. Also Stereophonics are nothing to with turntables, think Welsh anthemic rock, great live band.

…and Viagogo says it’s sold out already? Odd, the date is not yet listed on EC’s website. Are there seriously that many on-the-ball EC fans in Taiwan? If so, congrats. Noticed somewhere that prices were starting at NT$3,000+? It’s one of the few shows I would want to see just because I saw him live once, on the Spike Tour (1989), and thought, “Balls to this.” It was an outdoor show (Poplar Creek Music Theater), and I didn’t dig it; that’s all I remember. His first three records (two with the Attractions) are timeless; some say the first five; I dunno.

CKS Hall would be a sweet place to see him, whatever he plays; be it new stuff, old stuff, covers, whatever.

Fair enough. Do they sound anything like Big Country? I like Big Country’s second LP, Steeltown (1984). Fuckin’ awesome record. Of course, I realize the geography in:re Wales vs. Scotland. Close enough for rock n’ roll, eh? Anyway, good call on the Elvis show. Curious how you knew about it before everyone else (who wasn’t paying attention)? I saw the Japan dates and was thinking maybe Manila? It’s a musical coup for Taiwan if this show happens.

You damn skippy.
Saw him avec Attractions touring This Year’s Model.
With The Battered Wives opening, no less.

Every skinny tie and safety pin in town turned out.
It was friggin LOUD.

…and Viagogo says it’s sold out already? Odd, the date is not yet listed on EC’s website. Are there seriously that many on-the-ball EC fans in Taiwan? If so, congrats. Noticed somewhere that prices were starting at NT$3,000+? It’s one of the few shows I would want to see just because I saw him live once, on the Spike Tour (1989), and thought, “Balls to this.” It was an outdoor show (Poplar Creek Music Theater), and I didn’t dig it; that’s all I remember. His first three records (two with the Attractions) are timeless; some say the first five; I dunno.

CKS Hall would be a sweet place to see him, whatever he plays; be it new stuff, old stuff, covers, whatever.

Fair enough. Do they sound anything like Big Country? I like Big Country’s second LP, Steeltown (1984). Fuckin’ awesome record. Of course, I realize the geography in:re Wales vs. Scotland. Close enough for rock n’ roll, eh? Anyway, good call on the Elvis show. Curious how you knew about it before everyone else (who wasn’t paying attention)? I saw the Japan dates and was thinking maybe Manila? It’s a musical coup for Taiwan if this show happens.[/quote]

I was alerted by peeps in the Fuji Rock FB group. Saw Elvis at Fuji a few years ago, helluva show, absolutely gangbusting from start to finish. I have a feeling the gig may not be written in stone as it only appears on a coupla sites.

You damn skippy.

It was friggin LOUD.[/quote]

I’m not sure if I’m getting your story confused with another friend who saw him/them in Madison, WI, just about the same time. It was February, minus 30-something. Like maybe 12 people in attendance. I reckon anybody who saw them in the late 70s has a similar story… Didn’t you tell me that Steve Nieve was a hardcore speed freak? Somebody did.

I tried listening to all of Get Happy! last night. I failed. For my money, you can take This Year’s Model and basically call it a career for the guy. He never makes another record and he’s still a hotshot. But you ain’t getting me anywhere near that Imperial Bedroom bullshit, just sayin’.

By the way, the date still isn’t listed on his official website.

You damn skippy.

It was friggin LOUD.[/quote]

I’m not sure if I’m getting your story confused with another friend who saw him/them in Madison, WI, just about the same time. It was February, minus 30-something. Like maybe 12 people in attendance. I reckon anybody who saw them in the late 70s has a similar story… Didn’t you tell me that Steve Nieve was a hardcore speed freak? Somebody did.

I tried listening to all of Get Happy! last night. I failed. For my money, you can take This Year’s Model and basically call it a career for the guy. He never makes another record and he’s still a hotshot. But you ain’t getting me anywhere near that Imperial Bedroom bullshit, just sayin’.
[/quote]

Woulda been the same tour, it was deffo the dead of winter.
Contrary to your friend Billy (Oscar?) Madison’s experience, though, it was a pretty significant event, he sold out this place, which was the big soft seater.
It was the first major “punk” concert ever, also My Aim Is True had been a pretty big seller in those parts.

You could take a kick at Armed Forces, I seem to remember listening to that a lot at some point or other.

I watched some TV show not long ago where he (EC/DMc) played himself, what was it??
Oh yeah, Treme.

Can’t speak to Steve Nieve, but bassist Bruce Thomas wrote a very respectable biography of Bruce Lee back in the 90s. :idunno: