Updating ARC/ UIN of long expired ARC

Hello all,

6 years ago I was learning mandarin in school and get my own ARC card. Then now I come back again to Taiwan for internship purpose and supposed to get a stipend from the government. However to collect the stipend i need to provide them Unified id number.

My old long expired ARC have the UIN, but need to be updated into new UIN. Other option would be to create new UIN disregarding my old ARC. My question would be… should i try to renew my long expired ARC or just register as new person and get new UIN?

If you register in person with your old ARC, then your new ARC will reflect that on the back.

Actually i dont really need to renew my ARC card, i just keep it for sentimental value, tbh. But if it can be used for other purpose then i guess its always useful to have some sort of documentation other than passport while im here.

If all they need is a UID number then your old ARC number is all they need. The ‘ARC number’ IS a UID number and this is a number “for life” regardless of whether or not your ARC expires. If you want to update to the new one you can, but if you don’t need an ARC (or anything else that requires ID) then there probably isn’t much point.

Disclaimer: The Taiwanese government only pretends the ID number is for life and I will have my 3rd “for life” ID number by the end of the year, and will have 4 “for life” Taiwan ID numbers by the time I die.

2 Likes

yeah-about-that-ofj8tk

Don’t forget he can’t get an ARC with his old ID number as it is in the old format, those are not handed out anymore. He will get new ID number anyway.

If you have a purpose for residency, tell them you already had an ARC previously and give them the number. They will issue an ARC with a new ID number, but the old will be printed on the back of the card.

3 Likes

can i renew the ARC even if i come to Taiwan this time on visitor visa?

People arriving for residency usually have a Resident Visa for foreigners who wish to live in Taiwan for longer than 90 days for a specific purpose, such as working or studying. Edited not to confuse some people.

eg. Taiwan Work Visa, Taiwan Student Visa, Taiwan Family Reunification Visa

In some cases it is possible to convert a visitor visa to resident visa.

Shouldn’t you have a Taiwan Student Visa?

The funny thing is, Taiwan visa office in my country only can give a visitor visa for internship purpose, and then I can continue to stay in Taiwan by extending/ asking for permit to stay for another 60 day. I don’t know whether i can convert this visitor visa into a resident visa.

Nope, i just got plain ol visitor visa to my name. Again for staying in Taiwan i need to ask the permit every 2 month. Oh yeah i forget to mention that my stay in Taiwan is only for 6 months.

10 posts were split to a new topic: From updating

this is very silly indeed. NIA really needs to get a grip on the management of A(P)RCs, so moronic. That’s their job too…

1 Like

you cannot renew your expired ARC, but why not ask to NIA if you can still use your old UIN, or should change it to a new UIN?

Tried to fill the form for stipend using old number, got rejected. I will go to the immigration office tomorrow to get new UIN.

when you apply for your new UIN, you should write your old UIN on the application form, and if you get a UIN basic information form, both of new and old UINs are on it.

Yep, went to the immigration office today and here’s a little update:
Filled the form, gave my new passport FC and old ARC.
Revised my Chinese name and passport number, got new unified number… all without any hitch… the clerk was very professional and warm! 5/5 would do business with them again

1 Like

And the old unified number is with it, right?
How about filling out the form for the stipend?

yep i got a piece of paper that has all information such as old UIN, new UIN, and all updated information.
however i might need to update my information at the post office cus i need to make new card and the clerk ask me for new UIN number and such

1 Like

for most of people who come for study or internship, the duration of visa exempt stay is 0 to 30 days, as you maybe reminded it later. so, the for longer than 90 days part may confuse many people.

also, the op says coming for internship and no need of arc. it is natural to guess the duration of internship is not long enough to get a resident visa. don’t know why getting arc was brought up.

It was his question if he can renew his expired ARC. After his situation was clear, the answer is no.

1 Like