US Army admits killing TV cameraman

DB, point taken.

And from now on, the only friendly fire I am going to think about is the feeling I get in my stomach from knocking back a shot of scotch.

Congratulations to the Blueface clan on the new addition to their family.

11-Bravo. Also known as 11-Bush. Look it up.

I have never understood the term, “humping a rucksack.” Maybe our new papa can explain it for me.

11-Bravo. Also known as 11-Bush. Look it up.[/quote]

Yes, wipt, look it up, and if you find anything interesting, get back to us. Don’t forget to include footnotes.

Light weapons Infantryman (11 Bravo)

Thanks richard (and nice uniform).

It’s better done than explained. :wink: I’d suggest getting a copy of The Things They Carried: A Work of Fiction by Tim O’brien. He says it all. In my not so humble opinion, he’s the best living American author bar none.

since it was bag on the brits for a few posts there, i thought this might be some light humor (at expense of the brits of course)

story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=s … in_head_dc

All this questioning of blueface on his service record is (a) beside the point, and (b) was covered in another thread not too long ago.

Here

And here

[quote=“blueface666”][quote=“Mucha Man”]So you were in the army, and carried an M16 when I was a wee thing. Fantastic. Were you a general? Did you get to participate in high level meetings? Did you meet the players who shaped policy? Did you get to travel the length of communist China or Europe to see what was really happening there? Did you witness firsthand the USSR as a dipomat, spy or reporter? Have you ever been to Cuba or North Korea?
[/quote]
I served on the border between East and West Germany and I saw the barbedwire and minefields. You didn’t. I was served on the DMZ between North and South Korea. You didn’t. China? I was there 1983. I prefer Taiwan.

And you’re like a 90 year old virgin nun who’s never been out of the convent and seen the real world. My daughter is in the “younger generation”. She’s also in the 82d Airborne Division. She just came home a couple of weeks ago from Iraq. My daughter protecting you guys safety and freedom…God.

That’s the problem, isn’t it? I’ve got the experience and all you’ve got is theory and second-hand opinion…and deep down inside, more than a little jealousy.[/quote]

Americal
americal.org/
asa.npoint.net/23rdinfd.htm

how old is your daughter (the Airborne one, not the newborn)?

1. And she’s talking about getting married. :unamused: Great. All I need now is to be a Grandfather.

Blueface:

Makes you want to puke. Think of your daughter protecting snotty nosed brats who go running screaming to Forumosa whenever their rights are impinged by the evil Taiwan government (protesters), who may or may not deport them for their “peace” activities, but fail to understand that in countries like Iraq, they would be given the opportunity to undergo weeks and weeks of torture first before being shot or buried alive or eaten by starved Dobermans.

I must be in an observant mood today. I noticed that you joined June 6. Did you choose to sign up on that day for a special reason or was it just a fateful occurrence?

freddy

As Mr. Zimmerman says, “Blame it on a simple twist of fate.”

bobdylan.com/songs/twist.html

1. And she’s talking about getting married. :unamused: Great. All I need now is to be a Grandfather.[/quote]

Just take it all in stride, Pops… :stuck_out_tongue:

I haven’t read the book yet but I plan to. I just came across an article in the Chicago Tribune about this book.

[quote=“Chicago Tribune”]Vietnam War title is ‘One Book’ selection

August 21, 2003

A collection of stories about an infantry platoon in the Vietnam War is this year’s selection for the “One Book, One Chicago” reading initiative.

“The Things They Carried” by Tim O’Brien will be highlighted in book discussions, readings, films and performances during the Chicago Book Festival in October. Its selection was announced this morning by Mayor Richard Daley and Mary Dempsey, commissioner of the Chicago Public Library.

The book’s title refers to the things soldiers carried into war, from weapons and gear to mementos and private thoughts.

“One of the most fascinating aspects of Tim O’Brien’s work is how he mingles and sometimes blurs fact with fiction,” Daley said. “The stories unfold through the eyes of a diverse group of characters. At different points, it’s impossible to discern what is truth, and what is fiction.”

O’Brien, an author and veteran, will visit the city in October to discuss his writings and sign copies of his book.

Steppenwolf Theatre Co. ensemble members will read selections, the Old Town School of Folk Music will host a community song circle, and DePaul University will offer a graduate-level course on the book and host a staged reading and panel discussion.

Also, a film on the Vietnam War will be given a free screening every Saturday in October at the Harold Washington Library Center, 400 S. State St. Featured films will include “Apocalypse Now Redux” (2001), “Platoon” (1986), “Deer Hunter” (1978) and “Regret to Inform” (1998).

The book also was winner of the 1990 Heartland Prize for fiction by the Chicago Tribune. The Heartland Award is given annually by the Tribune for books that feature distinguished writing about the places and people of Middle America. This year’s fiction winner was “Reversible Errors” by Scott Turow.

“The Things They Carried” is the fifth title named for the One Book, One Chicago program. Previous selections were “To Kill a Mockingbird” by Harper Lee, “Night” by Elie Wiesel, “My Antonia” by Willa Cather and “A Raisin in the Sun” by Lorraine Hansberry.[/quote]

I didn’t know that “humping” was a slang term for carrying something. I don’t agree that it would be better experienced. I joined the Air Force to avoid that kind of thing.

In the rear with the gear and the beer. :laughing: