US Citizen - Buy Crypto directly with TWD without transferring money to US Bank First?

I’d like to buy crypto directly from my Taiwan Bank account without converting and wiring the money to my US account. This isn’t to avoid taxes or do anything illegal, just for convenience and to avoid fees. Does anyone know a way to do this? Thanks!

Do you have another non-American ID to use? If not, it will be difficult.

Well I have an ARC, but no, the only citizenship I have is US.

Sign up on bitoex and link your bank account. You can now buy directly from that account or in cash at family mart kiosk.
Verification with ARC works without a problem.

Thanks for the tip. I was looking at MaiCoin also, any experience with that one?

I have seen others using maicoin, afaik they work together with hilife?
should work the same way.

Which bank do you use?

I think you can use any Taiwan bank. Then Bitoex will setup different Fareast bank accounts (their bank) for ETH and BTC and USDT purchased by bank transfer by the ATM system . You need to verify with them by supplying ID etc. They have three levels of verification .
Call them on the phone they , unusually, have good English service.

any advantage of using bitoex vs say coinbase?

Credit cards cards get blocked and have limits . Foreign exchange fees.

I had a MaiCoin account, but they closed it after new laws prevented Americans from using the service. Not sure who’s laws, probably America as I’ve found other services won’t take me. I’m not a lawyer or familiar with the laws, but you might try localbitcoins.

Bitoex is one of the two local CEXs here. Maicoin and Bitoex. The advantage is the fiat on-/offramp.
They also have their own exchange, i think its called Bitopro.

Binance.com has a free P2P service. I have never used it but there are quite a few traders there that trade TWD/BTC, TWD/USDT etc… Also, as someone has mentioned LocalBitcoins. You should avoid MaiCoin as thier markup/spread is quite high, the last time I looked anyway.

1 Like

Bitoex is the last option I guess. Their margin varies, sometimes good sometimes not (check in advance ) but the fiat on/off ramp can’t be beaten for NTD. Pretty reliable service .

Awesome information, thanks all!

Could you explain what this means?

Buying with cash to crypto and selling out from crypto to cash.
This part is often the most difficult in small countries. In Taiwan you just have very few options if you want to buy large amounts.
Personally I would never deal with localbitcoins, direct sales, far too dangerous.
You can buy from overseas sites with your credit card but the amounts are very limited and sooner or later your credit card will get blocked from buying crypto.
I like the ability to sell back to TWD and just be able to move money in and out of my bank accounts easily. I like that the exchanges are in Taiwan and are registered here and licensed and customer service. If you are in Europe or the US and have accounts there its easy to fiat on/off but it’s just not so easy in small countries like Taiwan.

2 Likes

Fiat to crypto and crypto to fiat is becoming highly regulated. Being able to provide such a service is a problem for firms not just in small countries but most Western countries too (Europe/US). Actually might be easier in Taiwan where it is less regulated.

You will have a problem selling or buying large amount in any country not just Taiwan.

There is nothing wrong with LocalBitcions, they work like an escrow service and in some cases it may work out cheaper and quicker. But as always DYOR.

but what are you accomplishing here? Are you doing anything with the bitcoins, or only playing the market game? If so, we could do that with any other volatile stock too, correct?

What is the appeal of bitcoin today other than volatile investing?

I don’t really own Bitcoins , I own shares in Ethereum the World Computer. Good enough for ya? :slight_smile:
What am I accomplishing…making money of course as well as understanding how decentralised networks ‘work’ in practice.