US Citizen - Buy Crypto directly with TWD without transferring money to US Bank First?

thanks. still trying to understand the system. So is it not possible to buy shares of Ethereum through brokers like TDAM or IBKR? Why do I need bitcoin exchanges?

Hopefully, you can retire comfortably soon with your ETH investment, it’s just going to the moon now :grinning:

That’s a good q.
You can buy an ethereum index fund but they are poor value designed for institutional investors.
It’s best to buy Ethereum directly (ether = ETH) on any exchange.
Now is kind of frothy just buy in weekly don’t throw a massive cash wedge in all at one.

1 Like

It’s a good time. Not retirement level but giving me more options for sure. I try not to count the crypto chickens too much.

Ok. Let’s say one puts in $10000 today. Based on your experience, how much would you gain in say 3 years?

Oh God finger in the sky time.
But honestly if you are going to hold three years you should be good to go (to hold through potential major dips). Not financial advice.

So which exchange do you recommend? I’d prefer one not based in Taiwan.

I see 5 listed here:

Best Cryptocurrency Apps and Exchanges for May 2021 | The Ascent by Motley Foolylcqny_ga*YW1wLXBZUUlPRV9hYWdyZ3VlOURYYVU1V2wyY3cyTVdiRkRtYUJUSmVwdHlKSEJTTWV2Snc5OFh4UVhxbHliWVdiWkQ.

Do you recommend any more ?

Binance is the best in my opinion, you have lots of other options of course. Just setup an account on binance. That list is a shitlist for crypto exchanges.

You buy in Taiwan or on coinbase…Setup an account on Binance…And send your crypto to that account to trade on binance.(if you want to trade ).
If you don’t want to trade leave it sitting on coinbase or bitoex wallet if you like.

Binance can deliver a Visa card now but I am not sure if they sent to Taiwan, worth asking.

Ethereum has been very volatile historically, right now the price is 40 times higher than in March 2020 (Covid crash).

In the last 2 bubbles, Ethereum value got multiplied by 55 and 50. In 2018 after reaching $1400 it crashed down to $80, the volatility is huge.

If you invest, think long term like 5-10 years, you can buy at $4000 and it could crash to $500, no one knows. It’s been even more volatile than Bitcoin.

1 Like

Sage advice. It’s very likely to have further dips and those dips can be 50,60%,70%. plus. So that is why this is a long term game and not an overnight get rich quick scheme for the vast majority. Ethereum has huge milestones coming up and the ecosystem is exploding so I’m personally hopeful that next dip won’t be anything as severe as the last. I actually bought ethereum again recently but it’s just small amounts. This is probably not the time to LOAD UP on crypto. You load up when it is in the shitter (pardon my French).

2 Likes

1st rule for investing: history does not have to repeat itself (or more strictly it doesn’t repeat)

Right now ETH is surging for very different reasons than that of in 2017, and the drop in 2020 is caused by the 'VID pandemic. But from that drop onwards many things have changed, your comment seems very generic and I’m not certain of your expertise on the topic. However, I agree that now it is expensive to be bought.

If you put 10,000 in ETH today, you’ll have close to half a million in ten years I think.

That’s 200k an ETH?
Bold move Cotton.
Ten years is the kind of timeline where seriously big gains can be realised so…Maybe…Maybe.

How much did you put in eth?

Haha. Assuming Covid hasn’t wiped out everything, or ether still exists or China hasn’t taken over the west.

Before the pandemic ETH crashed from 1400 to 100… since you seem to be an expert, what caused that dump? :kissing_heart:

I bought most of my ETH when it was cheap, under $10. I stopped buying at $1750.

Return has been great obviously.

2 Likes

And I said it before, it’s the same with Bitcoin, 19k to 3k and there was no pandemic, then 3k to 13k in 2019, then down to 6.5k… all this before the pandemic. Market psychology causes these big moves IMO.

1 Like

Ok, to clarify myself, your post sounds like what is happening now must happen again. Sure there are going to be ups and downs. 2017/2018 was a hype. Defi and ETH is scaling and improving. Now institutions and banks are buying crypto and it is more and more available to public.
Sure due to pandemic everything sank. People were selling everything to cash out, out of fear. I didn’t mean that before pandemic price was 1400.
There was a drop from 200 to 100 something. Almost 50%