US Election - non-inflammatory discussion only, no Twitter links, no back and forth arguments

Thank you madam president of Thailand. I really enjoy your country’s pad thai.

6 Likes

Oh god. I miss thighland so much.

1 Like

I don’t think either side is pro-China. In any case, liking China less does not necessarily translate to supporting Taiwan more. We remain a puny little geopolitical pawn either way.

It was put best in a PTT thread I read in 2016. Someone asked, “Who do you think will win the US election?” and a person responded: “Who cares? Either way we’re gonna bend over and take it.”

2 Likes

I wouldn’t go as far as pro China, but is he willing to push back hard on China or do what all the previous admins did hoping China will be reasonable and negotiate in the interest of trade and collaboration?

I hope he takes that call. I believe every president dem or rep has rejected it beside Trump. I wonder if Tsai was surprised when Donald pick up on the other line :laughing:

To give Don his due he don’t give a fuck for protocol.

How do you pronounce Nevada? Is the accent on the first or second syllable?

1 Like

Of course he will, what a weird question. Too much mush in this bowl (not you specifically, the bowl in which people are always questioning this stuff).

How is this a weird question? It’s a legitimate question to wonder. You don’t know if he will.

1 Like

Someone will win once all the votes are counted.

Count the votes!

(Don’t make me have to start a second neutral thread :sleepy:)

Pennsylvania narrowing to 50,000.

Georgia narrowing to 2,600.

Just reminds me of all the pontification about China invading if Biden is prez etc etc. Continuous implications that only one winner will support TW.

Taiwan and this region are of strategic interest to the US to defend, no matter the president. That’s about where the buck stops, but people who tend to outsmart themselves talk in circles about it anyway.

2 Likes

Numbers guys. Focus on the numbers.

Arizona, Biden’s lead down to 46,000.

Apologies!

1 Like

Are you cross posting in both threads?

Yeah, what’s supposed to be going on? Why is this one in temp?

I’ve muted US politics. I refuse to argue over this stuff.

5 Likes

It’s a car wreck, I’d agree not worth arguing in. But also not worth ignoring. Some of the disinformation pushed needs pushback, if nobody checks it, it accomplishes its goal. But again, just my take.

1 Like

To your knowledge, has Biden done anything to support Taiwan in 47 years of office? He was in the senate when they switched. What makes you think he will take the call?

1 Like

The source, who spoke on the condition of anonymity, told Taiwan News that Biden has formulated very detailed policy strategies for East Asia, including Xinjiang, Hong Kong, China, Taiwan, and South Korea, among other countries and regions.

In the case of Taiwan, Biden pledges to continue to uphold American obligations under the Taiwan Relations Act, which he voted for as a senator in 1979. As promulgated in new legislation such as the TAIPEI Act, Biden will also continue to seek to aid Taiwan in resisting the Chinese Communist Party’s (CCP) pressure tactics.

Dispelling rumors that Biden would balk at selling weapons to Taiwan, the source told Taiwan News that a key point of Biden’s Taiwan doctrine would be the continuation of arms sales to help it defend itself from the People’s Liberation Army (PLA). Beyond military cooperation, Biden also plans to enhance non-military ties between the U.S. and Taiwan.

Wenchi Yu, a fellow at Harvard Kennedy School’s Ash Center and former Department of State official, provided some additional insights into Biden’s vision for the U.S.-Taiwan relationship under his administration. Yu said that if elected, Biden’s team will focus on developing policies that support democracy and reclaim American leadership in the world.

As part of this, Yu said Taiwan will be integral as a “great democratic story as the first democracy in Asia to stand up to China.” She said that Taiwanese societal advances such as in LGBT rights and economic prosperity are important areas where the U.S.-Taiwan relationship can find synergy.

I’ve posted the recent interview of it and praised him for saying it myself. But you didn’t answer my question. In his 47 years in office, and while he was a senator when the US switched, did he do anything in support of Taiwan?

I’m happy he said he will continue support, but his actual history doesn’t back it up. And it’s a lot of history to look at that I’ve came up blank.

2 Likes

Haha. A Kman article isn’t going to win anyone over on these boards. :joy:

1 Like