US States With Taiwan License Reciprocity

Iowa inks license deal

Iowa on Monday signed a reciprocal driver’s license agreement with Taiwan in the US state, removing the requirement of a road test for those eligible from either side. With the signing of the deal, Iowa became the 23rd US state to enter into such an agreement. Under the agreement, which took effect immediately, Taiwanese living in Iowa and holding a valid Taiwanese driver’s license will be exempt from the road test when they apply for a license there, the Taipei Economic and Cultural Office in Chicago said. They will be able to get a standard, Class C driver’s license in Iowa after passing a written test and a vision test, the office said. Similarly, Iowans with permission to reside in Taiwan for at least a year will be entitled to reciprocal treatment, it said.

A post was merged into an existing topic: How to get an international drivers license here?

Yes, another state being overpopulated by Taiwanese immigrants being added to the list!

1 Like

And another one!

Kansas inks license MOU

Taiwan and the US state of Kansas on Friday signed a memorandum of understanding (MOU) on driver’s license reciprocity that allows license-holders from either side to obtain a local license without having to take local tests, the Taipei Economic and Cultural Office in Denver said. The MOU, which went into effect immediately, makes Kansas the 24th state with which Taiwan has signed a driver’s license reciprocity agreement, the office said in a statement. The Ministry of Foreign Affairs said that it would continue to work with other US states to provide the same convenience to their residents.

still waiting for CA, might be the very last one

Wyoming ink license deal

Taiwan and Wyoming have signed a reciprocal agreement that allows licensed drivers to get a license in each other’s territory without taking written and road tests, a media release issued by the Ministry of Transportation and Communications said on Thursday. The agreement takes effect immediately. Wyoming is the 25th US state to have entered into such an agreement with Taiwan.

These USA State licensing comments have nothing to do with getting an international driver licence here (Taiwan). Talking about it here just confuses this topic for everyone especially people not from USA.

Really need a separate topic titled “US States With Taiwan License Reciprocity” so people can talk about it and find it later when they need it.

2 Likes

So if my state has this then what are the steps I have to take to get the taiwanese license?

II found this. Fuck man I hate trying to go to AIT. It’s so far away and takes forever to get through it. Plus $50 bucks just for a notory stamp!

You could take the tests, might make you miss AIT!

1 Like

Are there any alternative notory services that you can use to authenticate us documents? The worst part of ait is that there is extremely limited availability. Can’t even make an appointment until February and in all of February there are only 4 days available

So from the above, I need to make and sign a statement swearing that my license is legitimate and have that statement notarized at the AIT.

Is this correct? Should I make the statement on a sheet of paper on which there is a photocopy of my license?

My US license is such that I need to take only the written test.

Never mind. Scratch that. It can all be done by mail now:

U.S. Driver’s License Exchange Service – Service by Mail

AIT offers notarial services for exchanging a U.S. driver’s license for a Taiwan driver’s license by mail.

https://www.ait.org.tw/services/notarials/

Just follow the link. No preview for the web page shows up.

1 Like

I just saw that recently!!

1 Like

I have been putting this off for years, and decided to finally get around to it. I was dreading the trip to AIT more than the actual written test. I’ll take this as a sign to stop the procrastination. Let’s do this!

Well, my US driver’s license has been sent off for AIT notarization. I needed a bank draft of $51 for the AIT fee. I was at the bank for 40 minutes getting that. They needed my account book so I had to go next door back to my office to retrieve that. Then they checked my APRC card, and they had only the old one in their system so I had to call my wife to send me a picture of my APRC card. And then all the paperwork related to anything done at a bank here. After 40 minutes I said I would come back after lunch, which I did not long ago.

Anyway, it’s mailed, and my disdain for banks here only grows with time.