US to decouple from China, switch recognition back to Taiwan?

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/15/tech/tsmc-arizona-chip-factory-intl-hnk/index.html

It’s a tiny plant (20,000 wafers per month) and by the time it is operational in 2024, the technology node would be outdated. I think it is planned to manufacture ICs for the US military or the US government specifically.

1 Like

Yep. the dollar is quite sound- one-year interest rates are 1.3%. Which will not stop the usual suspects from shrieking about hyperinflation will eat us all if we don’t stop giving money to the poor and middle-classes instead of using it for tax breaks for the wealthy.
And speaking of China

Electric car maker Tesla Inc (TSLA.O) plans to introduce a new low-cost, long-life battery in its Model 3 sedan in China later this year or early next that it expects will bring the cost of electric vehicles in line with gasoline models, and allow EV batteries to have second and third lives in the electric power grid.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-autos-tesla-batteries-exclusive/exclusive-teslas-secret-batteries-aim-to-rework-the-math-for-electric-cars-and-the-grid-idUSKBN22Q1WC

2 Likes

All true, but I was pointing at the symbolic importance. TSMC has been trying very, very hard to stay neutral. This is a sign that it won’t be able to do so forever.

I’m at a Wistron subsidiary. OOC is an official policy.

It’s significantly better in Asia at least.

4 Likes

Fuck China’s definition.

7 Likes

Ooh the :lips: on you

We already send 100 thousand masks every week to US government and then plenty of additional 100 thousand or so as donations to individual states, presumable for medical workers.

Here’s more data.

When it comes to the US versus China, it appears America numba 1. And I suspect post-Wuhan flu, these numbers are even less favorable to China.

Interestingly, both Trump and Xi are unpopular but the thing is that us Americans have the right to replace Trump. At worst, he’ll only be around for another term. In China, there’s nothing legally stopping Xi from remaining in power for life.

2 Likes

What’s Palestine, Precious?

1 Like

Oh I think you’re 3 kinds of wrong.
I do not mean that plans for an embassy are in the works now, but that the US gov’t is headed that way. I say they’ll stop referring to Taiwan as anything but it’s own entity soon enough. 10 usd - giddyup.

Prior to the ratification of the amendment, the president had not been subject to term limits, but George Washington had established a two-term tradition that many other presidents had followed. In the 1940 presidential election and the 1944 presidential election, Franklin D. Roosevelt became the first president to win a third term and then later a fourth term, giving rise to concerns about the potential issues involved with a president serving an unlimited number of terms.

4 Likes

Obsolete No. Mature, stable, high yield, highly profitable, yes.

Most ASICs do not require or even should not use the bleeding edge process. Besides, what do you expect TSMC to say? 1nm, 2nm, pick a number?

1. He could do it Putin style, if his ego could take the beating, which it couldn’t, but it doesn’t matter because he won’t stay that popular that long.

2. He could do it Lee Kuan Yew style, but Ivanka is way smarter, so he would end up a mere figurehead, like a deposed-but-not-banished monarch.

3. He’ll probably be senile by the end of the decade anyway. :grandpa:

1. Oh come on. We don’t waste time splitting hairs about the appropriateness of saying “Taiwan” instead of “Separate Customs Area of Taiwan and Random Islands”. You know the point I was making.

2. I ain’t yo precious.

Like King Lear, run through the Simpsons. Or something like that.

Guy

1 Like

Do I? Taiwan is a country. Palestine is a word.

Give it time.

:wall:

The point is, angering “Palestine” – define it however you like – by a diplomatic act is one thing, but angering China is another. Palestine according to many people doesn’t even exist, and cultural/ideological considerations aside, it has no pull to speak of (economically, militarily). China very much exists and has a lot of pull. So I don’t think the Jerusalem embassy thing makes a great case study for this hypothetical decoupling.

Clear enough?

You like China?