US to decouple from China, switch recognition back to Taiwan?

What does acknowledging a country’s relevance have to do with “liking” it?

2 Likes

Israel is a tiny country surrounded by many large countries that deny its existence and want it to be called Palestine and folded back into one of theirs. Separate countries indeed, but galvanized in their Muslim faith and insistence that there is no Israel.

That’s how I connect the Palestine comparison.

Cultural/ideological considerations do matter.

Economic/military considerations tend to matter more. The US has allies in that region, economically and militarily.

On the other side of the comparison, individual provinces of (mainland) China are not going to support the hypothetical decoupling.

Vietnam, India and Taiwan will replace the PRC.

3 Likes

It’s a new era and reality now. Deglobalisation and desinicisation are happening as I type this message.

For CCP will it be evolution or extinction???

Putin style relies on the wording of the constitution. Russian one said you can’t have more than two terms in a row. American one is pretty clear that it’s two overall.

Now he’s going in with a different tactic since he can’t afford to have someone else keep the seat warm for him. He’s getting old and might die before he gets the throne again. New tactic is “we changed the constitution, so all term limits can be reset, it’s like a new country” and of course this passed the duma. Good luck trying that in the US of A.

Taiwan was it’s own country long before this latest series of colonization attempts. Isn’t the hypothetical coupling based on yet another country that tried to colonize Taiwan?

1 Like

Those three countries have a combined GDP of $3.5 Trillion. China: $13.6 Trillion.

1 Like

Well… as the manufacturing moves, that number is subject to change.

4 Likes

Israel is stronger by itself than all Arab powers together.
Saudi Arabia and Egypt, the two major Arab powers, have come to a tacit agreement with the U.S. to switch opposition to Iran and acquiesce to Israel, though they both rhetorically speak out against Israel to quiet their own critics. The only two other Arab countries that could possibly threaten (in the sense of annoying) Israel are Syria and Iraq, both of which kind of have their own problems these days.

4 Likes

I remember when Obama gave the green light to close down the manufacturing of a certain component for US power stations in the US and moved production to China. Insane.
Until such things are moved back to the US or somewhere nothing like China, I doubt there would be much change happening.

2 Likes

Nah they’ll just keep arresting people.

1 Like

Interesting. I doubt there’s really a stronger, or it becomes academic, when both sides can destroy each other. Many times over.

Israelis man fighter jets 24/7 because they are in a ‘rough’ neighborhood. I bet they won’t be repealing that protocol anytime soon, regardless of who says what.

…but I posted because I read that someone did not get the comparison between the Taiwan - China situation and the Israel - Arab situation, which seems not a stretch in the regard I pointed out.

Factories and companies will move from the PRC to those three countries. Then their GDPs will skyrocket.

2 Likes

Whether we like it or not, the demise of the CCP is greatly exaggerated. Vietnam and India are still quite corrupt as well and in places don’t have suitable infrastructure. Taiwan doesn’t have the scale to replace China’s output as well as to work for the wages that make cheap shit for export so profitable.

I don’t expect China to go anywhere in my lifetime. The worldwide economies are too entwined to tell them to screw off. It’s also this connection that keeps China out of Taiwan. They don’t want to lose the business and trade.

1 Like

And this is what we need to, and can fix. We screwed up by being too reliant on a totalitarian government(with expectations they would open up) and finally we have all payed for it. Now it’s time to correct the mistake, there’s no other way.

4 Likes

Call me in 30 years.
Seriously, factories from Taiwan moved to China because it was cheap. Before Covid-19 factories were moving out of China to Vietnam and India because they had cheaper labor. China, especially southern China, had become too expensive. If prices do drop because of companies fleeing, China will drop its wages. They will say to Apple “do you want to sign a deal with 20% off? Oh, hang on- I’ve got Samsung on the line.”

3 Likes

Or what dan2006 said.

With all due respect, this is pure naivety and totally ignores the economic agenda of the CCP.

The CCP is desperately trying to deliver on its promise to build a moderately prosperous society. You cannot do that and escape the deadly middle income trap without increasing wages.

If the CCP gives up on increasing wages and settles for being the world’s low-cost, low-skill factory, the billion-plus people it has promised to deliver increasing wealth to aren’t going to be so happy. And history demonstrates what happens then.

3 Likes

In terms of supply chains, inside of five years, things are going to be very different.

3 Likes