USA and gun control

And the wacko with the AR-15 entered the “gun-free zone” and started mowing down children with nobody there to stop him. It’s one of those nightmares where you “wake up” and find that you’re still in the nightmare.

Because there are so few people carrying guns in the US and they always stop the shootings now right? Dream on! This one seems like a doozy.

Not as much of a doozy as thinking that declaring a zone “gun-free” will actually make it so. It’s kind of like those “nuclear-free” zones, but more dangerous.

The former National Rifle Association instructor who lives next door to the First Baptist Church of Sutherland Spring, Texas, grabbed his AR-15-style rifle after hearing the gunfire and went over to investigate. Confronting the shooter, Devin Kelley, Willeford shot him in the leg and torso before Kelley dropped his weapon and fled the scene in his SUV.

– In 1997, the assistant principal of Mississippi’s Pearl High School, Joel Myrick, used the .45 caliber semi-automatic pistol he kept in his truck to detain 16-year-old Luke Woodham after the teenager stabbed and bludgeoned to death his mother at home and killed two students and injured seven at the high school.

– A decade later, in 2007, Matthew Murray killed four people at Colorado Spring church before being shot by church member and volunteer security guard Jeanne Assam.

– Last April, an Uber driver with a concealed-carry permit shot and wounded a gunman who opened fire on a crowd of people in Chicago’s Logan Square.

– This September, an usher at a Tennessee church used his personal firearm to subdue a masked gunman who had already killed one woman in the church’s parking lot and injured six others inside.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/volokh-conspiracy/wp/2015/10/03/do-civilians-with-guns-ever-stop-mass-shootings/?utm_term=.9dbb5a351116

Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

I’m sure a highly trained NRA Bronson clone will spawn whenever needed though. :sleeping: :zzz:

And an improperly adjusted clock is never right. Obviously, not every teacher has what it takes (and most of the Broward County police force, for that matter). Hell, a lot of them shouldn’t even be in a classroom teaching kids. But for the ones that do have what it takes, why deny them a fighting chance? It’s not like letting teachers (and students) serve as human shields has been producing excellent results.

Teachers should be teachers not security guards or cops.

I see the point that in such an environment where loonies are everywhere and packing, throwing a few so called good guys in the midst might take them down.

But as the logic of comparing women birth control to bullet proof vests and men’s to taking out the bullets, wouldn’t at least not adding more AR15s et al to the market help a bit? We all know that the horse is miles away from the barn already and the NRA types claim freedom is taken away if they can’t blow up stuff but can we at least not add to the problem? Make it a bit harder to get? Eventually, bullets will run out.

I mean, do you understand what it says about a society that needs to go back to the Wild West? You can say all you want about not trusting the government ad nauseam but in the end, fear is rampant, you can’t trust anyone and your society falls apart. No wonder the tribalism is the only weak link prevailing.

Ok, arm yourselves for the next Civil War. They have been training for it, them ready to go…

1 Like

The plot thickens…

http://www.tampabay.com/report-deputies-told-to-form-perimeter-at-school-shooting-ap_national9c2289b342b5493c8ede8e0bbb816f50

Teachers in schools won’t necessarily fix this. But will the usual suspects allow private citizens to do the job they won’t do themselves?

I like this talk about teachers in schools, regardless of whether it’s a good idea or a terrible one. Just suggesting it is bringing peoples’ motives into the light, forcing them to try - and fail - to have it both ways.

What are you blathering about now exactly?

Is the usual suspect a 20 year old white loner… or you mean darker skin in the wrong hood?

Is preemptive shooting an 18 year old by his own teacher OK? Who do we shoot, the bullies or the bullying victim?

It’s not that hard to know who to shoot. The real debate is over who should do the shooting.

If you don’t know what the debate is about, you will lose the debate before you know it.

Yep. I do not know. I am usually in the shoes of the shotee, not the shoter.

So certain people will get shot anyways?

Literally the same day as the Florida massacre.

Honestly, if conservatives fail to realise that the easy access and fetishization of guns is a problem, there really is no sensible discourse to be had on this topic. There’s room for improvement in the police departments throughout the US, and many other countries. That’s not the problem. Actually, it’s come to a point where it could be argued guns aren’t even really the problem; it’s the ineptitude and stupidity of gun lovers that’s causing kids to needlessly die.

1 Like

There is no such thing as a “good guy”!!!
Where the hell do you think bad guys come from? Are we born with that stamp on our foreheads? No!
A bad guy is a good guy turned.
“Oh, he is an active member of the NRA, he must be good.”
What complete nonsense!

1 Like

Ok, I think I got it. Guns are a problem and in particular easy access and fetishization of guns. Anyone failing to recognize this immutable truth is not capable of sensible discussion.

Wait, what? How can you argue gun’s aren’t even really the problem while simultaneously holding the belief that people who don’t recognize guns are a problem are incapable of sensible discussion. :thinking:

Read the second part of that sentence to answer that question.

Oh, that’s a lovely link. You should read it.

Whether the police are the problem or not, they’re certainly not the solution.

Thou shalt not fetishize thy neighbor’s gun.

Actually, it’s been more or less proven that ineptitude and stupidity among police and officials caused and worsened this latest tragedy. The shooter had a long history of giving off blatant signals that something was wrong, even going so far as to post his intentions on social media under his real name. Nothing happened in response. Blaming this on one factor is ideologically motivated myopia.

There are 80 million plus firearms owners in the US. Blaming them collectively for the actions of a very troubled individual and saying they cause children to die is disingenuous, to put it lightly.

Honestly, I see a lot of emotive responses, irrational ignorance and fallacies of false causes in this thread. The MSM has really done its job on many posters here.

No good, no bad. That really is postmodernism summed up. Sure, we are all capable of evil, but most of us never will commit anything like a school shooting, or even contemplate such a thing. So, no, collective punishment is not appropriate, nor called for.

And, yes, there are good people, people who stick their necks out and put themselves at risk for the sake of others. The guy who confronted the church shooter and stopped him is definitely one.

"But what about mental illness?’ Ah, but then you’d have to admit the problem isn’t the guns…

Be rational in your treatment of these issues. Knives are responsible for more murders, FAR more murders than ALL rifles COMBINED, not just the AR.

Find a mass shooter who was an NRA member (hint: there aren’t any). The NRA advocates responsible firearms ownership. The guy who stopped the church shooter was an NRA instructor.

3 Likes

I read that, I also read earlier where you say.

You know not all conservatives are gun owners, about 50%, and not all Democrats (15% have guns) and Independents(35% have guns) are non gun owners.

But ok, for you gun owners = conservatives and you further state gun owners = stupid. Can I infer what you really want to say is “Donald Drumpf supporters are stooopid”