Using US Credit Cards in Taipei

Hi all,

Long time lurker, first time poster. My wife and I are planning to do a rather long stay in Taipei (she is going to study Chinese). We were wondering if US Credit cards are accepted most places in Taipei.

I’ve seen posts about having to get Line Pay and I am unsure if that’s similar to Apple Pay or if we don’t actually need to get Line Pay.

Thanks kindly!

Most places accept them like supermarkets. Just notify credit card company, usually can do online, that you’ll be abroad, so it doesn’t lock or not allow a transaction to go through.

*Except PX Mart (全聯) and Costco

You have to download an app called PX Pay and you can use any credit cards on those, and you have to use the PX pay app to pay.

Costco only accepts their own branded card.

Problem is in Taiwan there’s a hodge podge of various payment apps… and it can be a bit confusing.

Have cash on you because they always take those.

You can bind your card to line pay and use that. Line is a messaging app kinda like WeChat, and line pay is their version of payment processor. Some stores will take line pay.

Hence, for visitors like the OP it’s not so convenient. Even for a resident like me who regularly shops at PX Mart, I couldn’t be arsed. I’m probably just lazy.

Exactly

2 Likes

Does RT-Mart accept foreign cards? I know Carrefour does, but given that there’s only like four major supermarkets in Taiwan…

Yeah, I couldn’t be bothered using PX Pay either. I got as far as downloading it and registering, then realized I just couldn’t be arsed.

1 Like

As other posters mentioned, you can use your US credit card at most places. Make sure that if you need to receive a confirmation code from your card company, that they are able to send it to your email address or keep your US phone number as some US card companies will not send confirmation codes to an overseas phone number. This may come up if you are booking hotels or flights or purchasing items online.

Yes

1 Like

You might be interested in this guide. Relevant content on page 12-13:

3 Likes

No he can’t. The US version of Line doesn’t have Line Pay. Even if he switched to the Taiwan App Store and downloaded the Taiwan version, it still doesn’t accept US cards.

Anywhere where VISA and Mastercard is accepted will accept your US VISA or Master credit card.

Except:

Pizza Hut
KFC
FamilyMart (VISA/Master not even accepted)
PXMart
Costco

Unfortunately, the above chains are some of the places you will probably frequent.

BTW please disregard what another poster said about Line Pay. You won’t be able to link your US credit card to it.

Pro tip:
If you guys are going to be here for a while, you’ll want a US debit card that offers zero ATM fees, unlimited reimbursement of ATM fees charged by other banks, zero foreign transaction fees, and good foreign exchange rate.

There is only one debit card in the US that offers all of the above: Charles Schwab Personal Investor Checking debit card. It’s free, and you may apply online but it will only be mailed to a US address. Be sure to do that before coming to Taiwan.

1 Like

I know family mart will take Apple/Google/Samsung pay. It doesn’t care which card it is.

But I don’t know if US cards can be linked to that.

No. It only takes Apple/Google/Samsung Pay if a supported VISA or Mastercard is linked to it. If you look at their card reader you won’t find the VISA or Mastercard logos.

Yes US cards can be linked to it, but it’s no different from swiping the card directly. So that doesn’t help.

They take it. I’ve tried. But I don’t know if their billing system will reject a US card.

Not sure which of you is right and which of you is wrong, but I was able to add UK cards to Line Pay. Posts online report mixed experiences with foreign cards, and the Line Pay help pages also suggest it varies by bank and country.

No idea about whether PX Pay accepts foreign cards.

Like usual, maybe it’s better then not to suggest things are possible when you don’t know. The false info is unlikely to be helpful to OP.

Wow there’s so much nuance to be aware of. Also surprising about Costco.

I assume 7-11 is good?

That’s because you used a compatible card. It has nothing to do with whether it’s on Apple Pay.

I am right. I am American and tried with all of my US cards but failed. TL is Taiwanese and likely hasn’t ever tried linking Line Pay with US cards.

1 Like

Yes, as are all other convenience stores.

I’m still not sure. I don’t know or mind either way whether U.S. cards work, and I think both of you have the habit of writing your opinions/experiences as solid facts when they’re not. :man_shrugging:

Maybe more Americans can confirm or refute what you wrote. Again:

I will definitely report back in 2-3 days :rofl:. Will be in town for 75 days give or take so plenty of time to see

1 Like