Vaccines for Teachers (Category 7)

And we appreciate it, especially right now. Thank you!

Daycare for babies will open in Taipei from July 20 with reduced capacity if all staff are vaccinated or or provide negative PRC PCR certificate within 3 days.

I guess unvaccinated teachers may be requested to take PCR regularly.

1 Like

Interesting spoonerism there…

2 Likes

A malapropism is the verbal mistake in which a word is substituted with another word that sounds similar but means something entirely different, often to comedic effect.

1 Like

It was a transposition, so I used ‘spoonerism’. But could also be a malapropism I guess. Is there a word that means ‘messing up an abbreviation’?

Have any teachers been able to get the vaccine? My school asked if I wanted to be put on their list last week. I said yes, but they haven’t provided any further details.

Also it seems like almost anyone can register for the vaccine on the 1922 site, or at least put their preference. Should teachers sign up for it or just wait?

2 Likes

I’ve provided details to my uni and also signed up via the 1922 site.

If my school comes through, awesome! But I’ve seen enough here over the years to not count on these guys to come through. :neutral_face:

Guy

2 Likes

I think it’s good to have a backup, but I wouldn’t give up on the school priority list either.

I was part of a priority group that had similar issues, we were ask to sign up through or organizations, we did that and then didn’t hear anything for a month. Meanwhile, the CECC kept opening up to groups with less priority than us and wouldn’t even mention our group in the daily press conferences.

Finally, a big shipment came in (Japan 1st donation) and the next day our Organizations got an email with the time and place for each person that was included on the list to be vaccinated.

I think your group will be similar.

3 Likes

We could make one: how about ‘malabbrevism’ or ‘malabberism’?

The first one doesn’t read so well and a variation of the 2nd means ‘juggle’ in Spanish.

1 Like

Probably because they couldn’t guarantee enough supply for the whole group: supply management issues. But with too many refusing from the older groups, and uncertain demand in the larger public, they found it easier to keep opening up to those who were receptive to getting the vaccine. It’s no surprise. But AZ is getting a lot of bad (false) news ATM. It’s no wonder they did it this way.

It is called due diligence . . . before you put something out in the public, you check it. You write an email, you check it before you “hit” the send button.

In this particular case, you put out a translation without checking it . . . then when errors were spotted . . . you didn’t apologize for your carelessness, you blamed Google.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

I expect no such thing on an anonymous forum.

3 Likes

Then translate it yourself. Don’t be so entitled.

3 Likes

That’s not what happen our group was the smallest priority groups and they opened up to much larger groups that were below us on the priority list before inviting us to be vaccinated.

The only reasonable explanation, I have come up with is they were having trouble working out the logistics for organizing our group, which is why I shared my experience here because I think the same thing is happening with the teachers.

2 Likes

The cram school I work at just signed everyone up for the vaccine. They didn’t ask whether you want it or not, and when someone asked about which vaccine, they just said everyone will go and take what is given. So that escalated fast.

4 Likes

My boss sent all of us a message yesterday asking if we wanted to sign up for vaccination. Of course, I want to be vaccinated. However, she mentioned that we first need to apply for a Police Criminal Record Certificate before we sign up for the vaccine. This seemed odd. Has anyone else been asked to do this? I, obviously, don’t have any kind of record and I could easily get the certificate without issue but this seems like a strange request. I think one of my coworkers is a bit sketchy and I suspect my boss is using this as a means to check on his actions here in Taiwan.

4 Likes

Trying to clear the deck.

Interesting strategy . . .

Guy

1 Like

Where I work, you need the local and your home country police checks as a condition of employment.

If your boss wants to get your co-worker checked, surely they can just ask, as that would be their right, I guess.

Tying police checks to work somewhere sounds ok to me, tying it to vaccinations sounds like it would be illegal.

2 Likes

Yep. Sounds like that is what will happen at my school as well. My school owner also actually owns the local hospital and I’ve heard that one day the hospital staff will just come with buckets of vaccines and jab us with whatever they have on hand at the time.

Yes, I thought it seemed strange and illegal. We were all required to get a background check before we were intially hired which should be required for anyone working with children but I think my boss might be worried that my coworker has done something illegal since then… Honestly, I don’t think I am going to fight her on this because it isn’t worth it. I have no problem getting a Police Clearance but I just thought it seemed like an unnecessary step so I wanted to see if anyone else has been asked to do this…I guess no one has :wink:

1 Like