Vaccines for Teachers (Category 7)

Where did you hear that?

they said the AZ and domestic aren’t as good as mRNA counterparts? well most countries don’t even give the AZ vaccines to people under 60 and some under 40. What’s the problem?

Ha! I work in a uni. I’m not part of Taipei’s entertainer / elite class.

Guy

1 Like

Generally speaking AZ has clot issues, especially to younger women. But we still don’t have enough information on that. Form statistics gathered in Asian countries, it seems like it might have a different effect on Asian people.

The mRNA, on the other hand, is a new invention. It’s very common for a vaccine to take decades to develop. Even so, the sequelae might be found or develop DECADES AFTER a medication or a vaccine is used in practice.

In the case of COVID, we’ve managed to develop the vaccines in 1 or 2 years. Hence the EUA. Cuz nobody knows anything. The vaccines might be safe, they might not. We wouldn’t know in 2 decades. We might not even know in 3 decades. Science is about inference, not the truth. No body knows everything is the only rule in science. Or in this case, nobody knows nothing.

This has been talked about endlessly in other threads, but I will repeat it briefly here:

AZ and J&J have known blood clot issues but stated it is ”rare”.

Moderna and Phizer have known heart inflammation issues tied to heart attacks but states it too is “rare”.

The China Virus so far kills more than the vaccines do. The China Virus also has long lasting debilitating affects for many.

So, pick your poison and roll the roulette wheel of fate.

Damn you China for putting this on all of us.

3 Likes

Actually mRNA technology had been worked on for about 15 years before the COVID pandemic hit. People act like it’s a brand new technology that was miraculously developed in one year when it’s not. The building blocks for what would become the vaccines was already there when COVID came on to the scene; the pandemic just accelerated the development of how it could be applied practically as a vaccine. But even without COVID, mRNA was destined to be the next stage in vaccines, and now they’re developing influenza shots with it.

5 Likes

China virus lol. Hasn’t seen this name in while. The nostalgia.

Yeah of course the bad reaction is rare, that’s how they get EUA. The worse ones and the less effective ones aren’t authorized at all. The only question is how much and what kind of risk are you willing to take?

You’re right about picking our own poison. There’s no universally correct choice in this world. No need to criticize about people’s choices. Pick what you could bare and live with it. That’s all.

1 Like

15 years is a short period when it comes to biotech. And when I said one year I was referring to all vaccines targeting COVID. We don’t know much about the disease, the virus, nor the vaccines. I’ve seen news about the S protein going through BBB. (Didn’t have time to read the papers lately so I only mention the news) We can’t even decide if it’s from a lab or the nature. We don’t know much about this pandemic, that’s the bottom line.

1 Like

how about sputnik? I heard that is is actually quite good. I’d be willing to give sputnik a roll.

1 Like

The Russian vaccine? I’m not familiar with them.

But it’s really hard to draw conclusions now given that everything is too new and every country is in a different condition.

Sputnik is not available in Taiwan, not for teachers in Category 7 or for anyone else.

Guy

It is not available in Taiwan.
Your options in Taiwan are:

1. AZ: higher chance of getting it sooner than later.

2. Moderna: Waiting list.

Pfizer coming soon.

1 Like

There is no indication that the BNT arrivals—some coming in September—will be used for Category 7, which needs to get teachers vaccinated now to get ready for the fall.

Guy

Yeah but there’s also no clear indication of any use of Pfizer vaccines. There are rumors that they’ll be used on minors but it’s also heavily criticized. They could take it back at any second.

Plus we’ve got good news! The domestic vaccine 高端 got EUA!! Guess who’s gonna get jabbed? :smiley:

Staff from my school were mass vaccinated today, including myself.

A few hours have passed and I feel fine. Glad I got it done. Halfway to being fully vaccinated.

Also happy to see so many colleagues there as well.

5 Likes

I’m curious - have any buxiban teachers received texts about appointments yet? Or is it just teachers in public schools?

I registered on the app stating I’d be okay with either Moderna or AZ. My school said they’d put me on the category 7 list but they’re useless so I’m not holding out much hope!

1 Like

Nope. Still in the process of list making.

2 Likes

It’s currently K through 6 both public and private schools.

1 Like

Good to know, thank you!

Does anyone have any idea what the deadline is for submitting the local police check to get on the MOE list? I was told today, but friends in different buxibans have told me different things…