Vintage clothes and thrift stores

hi there i was wondering if anyone knew where to find second hand clothes or vintage clothing in taipei…i have seen some “vintage” stores but many of them are too upscale for my tastes… also where can i buy black and white film…any type would do…ilford…

I buy Agfapan 100 B&W film for NT50 a roll at the large Fujifilm lab near Subway in central Taipei. For vintage clothing check out the stores around the Vicious Circle punk shop in Hsimen.

I am looking for stores which sell vintage clothes and stores which sell second-hand stuff like the charity shops one finds in London or the thrift stores of the States. Any stores which sell quality clothes at discount prices or second hand? I am interested in vintage, designer, and good materials like silk, linen, cashmere items. Please email me at gbongiovi@hotmail.com. Thanks!

I’m looking for second clothes market in Taipei. Does anyone know of any? I want to dig for hours and finally find that awesome tshirt I can pick up for 50 TWD…where does this exist?

Mmm… good question. Don’t remember seeing real vintage stores here, but some stores in Yongkan street sell some -Lishui Street, close to Alleycats, I remember seeing one that even had fur coats.

Actually, I buy new clothes for 50-100 nts at the Zheng Zhong Market. Lots of piles for digging -new clothes leftover from the department stores. Ah, the thrill of the hunt…

How about the garage sale at Grandma Nitti’s every Sunday? You would be giving a hand to stray pets, and clothes go for 10nts up.

Where is this place?

Gosh, I really need to bring that book on markets to the office. All the info is there, easy to use.

A bit hard to explain. You know the Friday’s at Chongqing Street, the bookstore street? It is right where the famous shoe street begins. The market’s entrance is in the middle. Between Boai and Chongqing. It goes all the way there to a temple -Guanjin if I’m not mistaken -on Wuchang Street, close to the Astoria.

From Google:

Still on the cheap side, the bin at stores at the Taipei Underground Mall and Taipei City Mall at Main Station are also quite entertaining.

Also, if anybody lives close to Xindian, there is this guy who sells factory samples at the BaoAn Market on Saturdays. Levis jeans for 150 nts, clothes from US brands -made by Taiwanese factories- for 100 nts up. He usually carries big sizes -especially for guys. No defectives, just “samples”.

Hi j0rd, i know what you’re looking for but unfortunately there’s not much on offer here in Taiwan. Those one-off gems (usually found at Goodwill and The Salvation Army, Oxfam, etc) aren’t available because it doesn’t really match the Taiwanese style. Not to say they don’t like the look or style of it, but IMHO it’s just that they’re kind of put off by wearing second-hand clothing.

But those places mentioned by Icon sound pretty promising for cheap new clothes.

Hi j0rd, I know what you’re looking for but unfortunately there’s not much on offer here in Taiwan. Those one-off gems (usually found at Goodwill and The Salvation Army, Oxfam, etc) aren’t available because it doesn’t really match the Taiwanese style. Not to say they don’t like the look or style of it, but IMHO it’s just that they’re kind of put off by wearing second-hand clothing.

But those places mentioned by Icon sound pretty promising for cheap new clothes.[/quote]

GoodWill, Salvation Army and OxFam…do these exist and can I shop at them? I need addresses or Google Links. I actually have a bag of clothes left in my room that I shoud drop off.

There’s loads of second hand “boutiques” at Ximen, but I found them over priced. Some of the jackets were nice and fair priced though.

Grandma Nitti’s garage sale sounds awesome. I’ll have to check that out.

Keep the advice coming people. Alright, here’s one. Where can I find old chinese hi-tops from the early 90s.

[quote=“j0rd”]
GoodWill, Salvation Army and OxFam…do these exist and can I shop at them?[/quote]

Sorry, no stores like this in Taiwan that I know of. But maybe others can help. Those boutique shops that you’re talking about, I agree are too overpriced.

I think since Taiwan is still a “new money country” there is a stigma attached to second-hand clothing. Or maybe it’s the superstitious Chinese way of not wanting to wear ghost-infected goods?

I would imagine that those hi-tops from the early 90s have all disappeared.

Lies! I’ll find a hobo by the train tracks and buy his and pay him extra for the free ghosts.

This isn’t exactly what I’m into, but hypebeast city guides are usually 1/2 decent place to start:
HypeBeast: Official Taipei Shopping Guide

Second Hand shop in Taichung city- 150 Min Sheng rd. It’s huge and has all sorts of quality merchandise. Proceeds go to Taichung PAWS and other charitable animal groups in the area.

Cool i like this and i think i might try these out for myself.

Tuxedos for Sale

There’s one on Roosevelt north of guting station, leave from the mandarin daily news exit, walk straight past the first lane it’s the second or third store, really huge place, like 3 buildings connected

Thanks a bunch. I’ll check it out.

Does anyone know if this place still exists? Is it worth checking out?

It’s still there but the last time I was there they didn’t have much in the way of clothes. Lots of other vintage stuff though.

Anyone know of any thrift stores that sell military jackets? I’m looking for something light and thick (denim or canvas material)

There’s nothing better than looking great in other people’s castaways!

On weekend afternoons/ early evenings there is a small market Southeast of Xinyi Rd, at a historic military residence on zhuangjing Rd (near 101).
There are often students selling handicrafts or their clothes that are three months out of fashion for very cheap. Warning: mostly (but not all) very small sizes.

Also, in Shida area if you walk down the lane beside burgerking at the end there is a small second-hand store that has old clothes, furniture and doodads.

Happy digging!