Visa runs and FBI checks during coronavirus period

Easy answer, nobody is going to be able to do a Taiwan visa (exempt stamp) run at the moment because the border is shut to anyone without an ARC. You don’t need to exit and reenter the country to extend an ARC so, no visa runs until further notice.

3 Likes

It is abuse. Just because they aren’t zero tolerance doesn’t mean it’s not abuse of the system.

The Taiwan government wants people to come here for tourism. They have been very relaxed with people because they know that the majority of people allowed in are not going to cause an issue so they tolerate the risk that some people might abuse or cause issues. The only reason why it is this relaxed is because the amount of people caught are rather low compared to the amount of legal travellers.
You wanna know where it’s written? Here is where it’s written.

These are the purposes of which Visa Exempt is allowed. It’s not impossible that you are engaging in tourism for 10 years…but it’s highly unlikely. If you work, it’s illegal. Digital nomading is not on this list, it’s illegal. It’s highly suspect that anyone can do these activities for years and remain self-sustaining without breaking the law.

It abuses the trust of our Taiwanese friends.

This is evident in the reduction of time for Thai nationals from 30 to 14 days.

Not only were times slashed, but the amount of entries were slashed. If you want the eyes turned towards us westerners, keep doing what you’re doing.

Get an ARC, we don’t have the right to be here and I have no sympathy towards people who are actively and selfishly making it harder for us to build trust with the government in immigration/citizenship laws. There is no digital nomading here. Thailand offers digital nomading, feel free to use their services.

5 Likes

are you sure that it requires a permit, so is illegal?

Requiring a permit can still be a thing even if there are no permits for it. If you’re not following the terms of your visa(or visa-exempt) stay, you do not have permission for other things.

There are no permits for retiring here, but retiring here requires a permit.

The APRC specifically allows for permit-free living on the other hand.

Your ARC is a permit. If there is a digital nomad ARC, then it’s a permit to do so.

The digital nomad thing is probably technically illegal most everywhere. So I guess they should all stay home. Fukcing criminals.

No. Some countries allow digital nomading.

I’m not saying I am against digital nomads. I think the laws should be updated if the country wants that type of worker.

Background checks and taxes, etc. You might as well have the Fed oversee Bitcoin.

the visa-exempt allows you to do things that do not require a permit. The instruction lists some examples of such things and it is true that nomading is not in the list. Though, are you sure nomading needs a permit? I’m still waiting that @yyy or someone would confirm it with MOL or NIA.

Well I think about it like this. You don’t need a permit to protest as a froreigner, but protesting violates your terms of the visa, making the act illegal as a consequence.

People have been kicked out for participating in protests.

Like this:

Jury nullification is not a law, it’s a consequence of the law.

2 Likes

I think some kind of political activities are forbidden for foreigners (without a special permit).

Some are. Of course. But most are unwritten and are simply illegal by consequence and never have been challenged.

Basically, on Visa-Exempt status, assume everything not listed is disallowed.

i think the taiwanese authority have a great discretion to determine which is ok and which is not ok. As far as they don’t say it is not allowed, things are ok.

To be safe, it is a good assumption, but you can always ask to authority on things that are not clear.
Studying is not listed, but it seems ok for the duration within visa-exempt stay. Or is it international exchange?

That’s definitely not clear. They offer a student ARC of which I have possessed before. Anyone present the card to immigration and write study and visa-exempt on it?

do you really need to ask yourself why that is? do you really think thai digital nomads are flooding taiwan? south east asians are coming here for prostitution, other illegal work and overstaying on purpose. you are lumping digital nomads in with that crowd and thats a bit of a laugh.

1 Like

I think they don’t need a permit to study, though studying can be a reason to be granted a residency.

Illegal means illegal.

It’s an example of if you abuse the system, they are likely going to tighten it up.

If it was like one or two people engaging in prostitution, then no, they probably wouldn’t tighten it up.

Same thing with constant visa-runs. Fortunately most westerners are doing the legal route. If it was quite a few of us spending years without getting visas, you don’t think they wouldn’t get suspicious?

Come on… It’s common sense.

If you guys don’t agree then I challenge you to run to the immigration centre and tell them truthfully what you’ve been doing for the last several years visa running and tell them exactly how you’ve supported yourself.

2 Likes

If they stay home I don’t know what to call them!?

Do you report yourself to the police if you park outside the white line or go above the speed limit or anything else?
I get it, you don’t like people that do visa runs. It’s getting boring now.

6 Likes

unless the authority makes it illegal, frequent continuous visa run itself is not illegal.

If they do illegal activities during their visa-exempt stay, doing illegal activities is illegal.

4 Likes

You missed my point. If you go above the maximum speed, it’s illegal. It’s clearly illegal. No dispute there

He is convinced it is perfectly fine. If it’s so fine, then go report himself and if they say it’s OK, it’s OK. That argument would only work if there was a dispute on whether speeding was or was not illegal.

2 Likes