Visiting Taiwan soon. Information on Permits for Taiwan National Parks please.

Hi everyone. Taiwan looks very beautiful.

I am visiting Taiwan from 1/6/2017 to 29/5/2017.

I just intend to do hiking and scenery viewing throughout Taiwan with the help of Train, Bus and Bicycle. I intend to visit most of the following parks and scenic areas.

http://www.natma.org/images/556_MapofTaiwan1.jpg

But my chinese is extremely poor.
May I know which of the following parks I need permit for? Which areas am I not allowed to enter? Any tips and things to research and plan in advance?

I just want to stay to touristy trails, with a little bit of added safe adventure :slight_smile: Thank you. Your help will be so useful for a non-chinese speaker for me.

I would like to go to

Hehuanshan
Taroko Gorge and ZhuuliuOld Trail, and camp there for 1-2 days.
Taipingshan
Kenting Park
Mud Volcano
Natural Fire
and more

I would also like to rent an electric bicycle to travel around in various cities/intra city/inter city travel.

On that list, you only need a permit for the Zhuilu Historic Trail.

I have been reading up on Fu-Ba trail. Very interested to try that. Any advice? Is it open to public? Where do I get my trail permit. I would like to summit lala-mountain.

Also I would like to ask if most of yangmingshan is hikable?

Safe for a protected area close to Qingtiangang, I think most of the trails in Yangmingshan are open to hikers.

Haven’t done the Fu-Ba Trail. Have a look here: Hiking the Fu-Ba Trail

Yeah, just read the thread that I made, but that was over 4 years ago. Also, you gotta take into consideration that trails like these in Taiwan are constantly shut down or at times completely annaihilated. Check to make sure that the trail is still even passable first, but I’m not sure how to do that. Does anyone know a way of checking on trails like this? I imagine you’d have to know a number to call and be able to speak Chinese.

Also, basically all of Yangmingshan is hikable for sure.

Quite frankly, I would not suggest you go on a trail like Fu-Ba alone without local hikers or expats with hiking experience in Taiwan. It’s 17k and, depending on the weather, the conditions can be rough (not sure how the trail has been fixed up after the big typhoon; there might be some land slide sections?), though it’s not in the high mountains. Also you need transportation to get to/from Baling and Fushan. To inquire about the trail conditions I would call the Baling or Fushan police stations, where you can get the permit.

Here is a Chinese blog with images of the trail:

Here is a very fresh Chinese blog of hiking to Mt. Taman and Lalashan on the Baling side.

http://www.wayfarer.idv.tw/Taiwan/2017/0520/0520.htm

Buy yourself a copy of ‘The Lonely Planet, Taiwan’. It’s a mine of information and worth every penny…