Wack things in China

They do seem to have gone the extra mile to become the most irritating hegemon on the planet—an impressive goal given the stiff competition out there.

Guy

4 Likes

"‘You Need Karaoke’
Diess laid out VW’s plans in a company-sponsored video where he spoke with Chang Qing, CEO of Cariad, Volkswagen’s software subsidiary.

“We will do some major investments still in China,” Diess said in the video. “In a few years we will have several thousand software people in China.”

Diess said the user experience in China is “really different and sophisticated.”

“You need karaoke, you need sophisticated loud speaker systems, inside camera to take pictures, streaming,” he said. “And the other thing is driver assistance systems towards autonomous driving.”"

The Exposure of China’s ‘Bought Wives’

A video of a chained woman kept in a shed went viral. Now a national campaign is under way to track down and rescue women unwillingly sold into marriage.

The Wall Street Journal - July 9, 2022

3 Likes

Hmm, so the state-owned railway company has a trillion dollars in debt, which is owed to the state-owned banks, but it’s not considered state debt :thinking:

I saw a show or something once about how they keep building HSR that no one uses, just because a local govt wants to spend money on projects

1 Like

Bank protests

3 Likes

Wack people from China

1 Like

I doubt the charges are real, but I suspect that guy is regretting crossing paths with African law enforcement. Hope he’s got deep pockets.

2 Likes

Spotted in Chengdu…

3 Likes

typically shoddy spell-checking

1 Like

Doesn’t detract from the message much though.

There’s Nazi lovers or lovers of their symbols everywhere. Was konnen Sie tun?

A forgone conclusion. Women in China have no rights and will be silenced.

2 Likes

fify

3 Likes

Pretty much, 4 years passed between Zhu Jun allegedly “groping and kissing” her in a dressing room and Zhou reporting it. Given the apparent complete lack of any evidence it just became her word against his, what outcome other than not guilty could be reasonably expected? In my opinion the chances that he did it are pretty high however (thankfully) that is not how the legal system works. Do you feel there was enough evidence to convict?

2 Likes

Everyone has been censored and social media accounts have been suspended and/or cancelled and the Chinese Internet scrubs any discussion of this case and any others.

The police didn’t actively investigate or attempt to get any evidence of proof either way.

There is no legal system in China.

2 Likes

Wow very sad situation for this guy. Probably did a long quarantine before in another part of China, finally got out to go on vacation, ends up locked down again in Sanya, Hainan.

First day he shows up at the Marriott and the staff were super racist and xenophobic, “no foreigners allowed” etc etc. After lots of back and forth they are finally able to get in. A couple days in the lockdown starts.

Now it’s been 10 days, after daily Covid testing, the guests decided to protest. People screaming, crying.

Next day the staff is evacuated and the hotel is taken over by the government.

Pretty incredible to see the situation escalate from bad to worse. He seems to be posting daily updates. I wonder if he will keep it up now that the CCP have assumed full control of the hotel.

2 Likes

1 Like

More ridiculous movie changes!

4 Likes

For forumosans who are not in the mood to click on the story linked by Malcolm, I add this, without comment:

According to posts and screenshots from the movie shared on Weibo, a platform similar to Twitter, censors tacked on an addendum in which Wild Knuckles, a main character in the heist film, was caught by police and served 20 years in jail.

Gru, a co-conspirator of Wild Knuckles, “returned to his family” and “his biggest accomplishment is being the father to his three girls,” screenshots of the film showed.

In the international version, the film ends with Gru and Wild Knuckles, the story’s two thief anti-heroes, riding off together after Wild Knuckles faked his own death to evade capture by authorities.

Guy

4 Likes

Drought all around the world. Factory shutdowns in China.

1 Like