Wack Things in Taiwan 2019

Prime time news apology to family will sort that out. He’s probably gone now though, they were all here for the KOM.

When you make an inviting throne thing on some kind of quaint ethnic patio garden you have to expect foreigners will sit in it

Anyway, who knew the Taiwanese had this “don’t lounge around on tombs with your bikes” taboo

4 Likes

Maybe buy one of these for someone ironically for a laugh?

2 Likes

“To make the tapioca pearls, Domino’s R&D team selected the highest grade cassava starch and natural brown sugar …” :rofl:

5 Likes

That’s very frustrating well done on being aboe to speak Taiwanese. You have to head down to Donggang and Xiao Liu Qiu it seems nobody there wants to speak mandarin :sunglasses:

Those colored, clear plastic water bottles bring marketed as “ion water” bottles. They have stores everywhere, every other person has one and as far as I can tell it’s just a plastic bottle. Also they’re stupidly overpriced.

image https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1499/8094/products/Combo_500-2_1024x1024.jpg?v=1537823053

2 Likes

:rofl::thinking: First time you noticed that something popular is ‘overpriced’?

No, why do you say that?

McDonald’s is cheap. This stuff is just a cheap plastic bottle that sells for $1,000+ NTD. It doesn’t even look good.

1 Like

It will make you ‘ionized’ water!
Anyways, how long have you been in Taiwan?

Long enough to have escaped Banqiao but not long enough to live in Tianmu. :wink:

2 Likes

Escape from Banqiao. Need to talk Kurt Russell into starring in this sequel.

1 Like

I heard about you. I heard you was dead.

1 Like

He’s a doctor! They don’t just die!

1 Like

Environment is everything :slight_smile: I think it would be pretty impossible in Taipei except that it was my sole option for communicating with certain family members, smiling and nodding like an idiot gets pretty old after a while. It’s not great but def enough to get by, I’ll put those places on my map

1 Like

Sad and pissed off. An old friend recently had major heart surgery. I think a major reason is the pressure from work and ongoing support for his two kids. He runs a small company which in last ten years has had trouble adjusting to changing marketplace…and he has invested time and money trying to adjust…even borrowing money to invest in new areas. Meanwhile, he had two boys living at home, ages 23 and 25. Two years ago the boys started working at more stable jobs. The elder brother at age 17 brought his girlfriend home and informed his mother that she needed a place to stay so the girlfriend moved into his room and has been there 8 years. Mom has always cooked all their meals (asking them everyday what they want to eat), cleans their rooms, washes their clothes, multiple wake-up visits each morning, etc. Now her work includes the girlfriend. For years the boys and girlfriend annually go to Japan at least twice for snow skiing. I asked my friend if his wife would financially support the boys her entire life…answer was yes. Last year the elder boy and girlfriend put down a deposit on an apartment, claiming they would move out. But actually buying stuff and preparing to move turned out to be too difficult so they lost the deposit and stayed at home. The boys even skipped military service as wife found doctor to give them exemptions due to suddenly developing “weakness ailment” right before reporting for duty…but somehow they still had enough energy to go snow skiing right after the exemption.
My point is my friend seems tied to supporting these three people his whole life while trying to keep his business alive. The wife has totally spoiled these kids but refuses to change.
Sorry for the long rant…just upset to see my friend having major heart surgery only to return home to these unappreciative kids and an unapologetic wife.
This friend is not the only friend who should be enjoying retirement instead of supporting kids even in their 30s.

6 Likes

Foreigners who apparently think it is appropriate to head to their destination directly through your group without using their words, and who get snippy when you maintain formation integrity

beg packers days are hopefully numbered!

I wish you people would get out of my way.

3 Likes

In your friend’s case, they already have college degrees and should be able to stand on their own. Basically, parents are feeding an addiction, and it is worse with male heirs to the family name. The mother as you can see is the one who bandits this situation because she has no other reason to be rather than serving. She would be very alone and feel useless otherwise, most importantly, the situation gives her power over children who never grow up.

It is different from other young folk who basically cannot make it without parental support, given current salaries and lack of opportunities. My next door neighbors are a middle age couple and have the son and his family living with them, it is also a rental home, same size as mine, yet 6 people live there. Both him and his wife work and they have two girls that their parents take care of. To live elsewhere would be expensive and inconvenient. I can see they work long hours and try to spend time with the girls but it really gives peace of mind knowing they are in good hands.

The other neighbors have two of their 3 adult offspring living with them. The elder got married and has a kid, both work, kid goes to school and visits on weekends when parents do overtime. The other two are unmarried. The young woman is in her late 30s and was rece let off of a job she did 14 plus hours a day for 15 years. She was very devoted but at the end was treated badly and cheated out of big chunks of pay. It has been very hard for her to find another job because she is not a wallflower, she is not very pretty or soft spoken and with her experience and skills she is just too expensive for most. She is suitable for management but it is hard to get such positions. Her brother barely got alive out of his military service as he was under one of those corrupt officials who do business off base stuff. Hence he is very defensive of going to work outside. As so, he currently runs the family hardware store and lives at home and haves not much hope for the future, in spite of also having a college degree.