Wack Things in Taiwan 2019

If you walk with the flow of traffic you triple to quadruple your chance of dying in a traffic accident .
Apple daily full front page today

2 Likes

I try to explain this to my Taiwan friends constantly.

Walk facing the traffic.

Almost like they won’t learn it as an adult. It was standard teaching and practice for me as a child.

5 Likes

I read the article, it’s quite superficial like many of these things.

For instance, how many of the deaths were actually caused by lanes being too narrow , no pavement or marked pavement area or speeding or because it was bi directional. Hello, joined up thinking.

However…The stats are clear it does seem to be safer to walk against traffic.

1 Like

I learned it as a kid also, but back then we also learned not to walk behind a horse, unless you have a shovel. :wink:

" Rule 2

If there is no pavement, keep to the right-hand side of the road so that you can see oncoming traffic. You should take extra care and

• be prepared to walk in single file, especially on narrow roads or in poor light
  • keep close to the side of the road.

It may be safer to cross the road well before a sharp right-hand bend so that oncoming traffic has a better chance of seeing you. Cross back after the bend."

Note: In the uk we drive on the Left.

And if you’re not married to a local?

Then you pull a Me circa 2013. Track down head of credit cards greater China and work some magic. If i have time I might do this for fun and report back if lucky or not .

2 Likes

Are you spending piles of cash at Costco to justify the hassle in getting a credit card?

I understand your concerns, request DENIED!

1 Like

Careful brother you don’t want to go down this road. I’ve been there it was not pretty

Wack, for me as a happy non-curious hetero, is gay men all over Ximen trying to make eye contact and even smiling at me.

I don’t think there’s anywhere I can go in the whole area where it doesn’t happen.

This is how Taiwan is a gay or lesbian person’s paradise but not a hetero person’s paradise.

You could just not hang around in Ximending.

1 Like

I was told this in London because of the iPhone snatchers lmao

Even the toilets stalls.

2 Likes

See, it’s the places you choose to hang out at. Maybe you’re more curious than you’d like to admit. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Based on his posts, it seems Tango is everywhere. : )

Guy

1 Like

In November Alishan and Fengqihu a couple of times, Xiao Liuqiu, Kenting, Chiayi, Tainan, Hengchen, Wanlitong, Huaqiao, Danshui, other small towns, can’t recall all.

All over Taipei area.

Yes we know. : D

Guy

:ghost:

Sometime seems like all the really pretty Taiwan girls are either married or partnered with their lesbian girlfriend.

1 Like

Or just out of your league. :grin:

5 Likes