Wack Things in Taiwan 2020

This is wack. I was browsing through the Wellcome flyer and see this. Where in the hell do they eat shrimp tacos in Taiwan. I wanna know.

2 Likes

Actually, Twinkeyz near Zhongxiao Dunhua makes good shrimp tacos. I can’t vouch for their popularity, but I like them.

1 Like

I tried this place recently. Damn good tacos!

2 Likes

Funnily enough, they resemble the Dinghao picture.

I wonder how many Taiwanese see the shrimp tacos picture while perusing the Wellcome ad and say “Yeah! I’ll cook that tonight. Let me find the aisle with the masa harina.”

1 Like

I’m just waiting for the next @Aikaili recipe. Next up, fish tacos?

1 Like

Good idea!

1 Like

Falafel is tomorrow then Asiago bagels on Sunday. At some point, I’m working in a fasting day.

2 Likes

Can’t wait! You are one of the Recipe Thread’s most prolific posters.

1 Like

I learned how to cook in Taiwan out of necessity.

1 Like

Well. Once we get ourselves our own TV show. You’ll be on Master Chef Forumosa.

I like the sound of it. It starts off with a scavenger hunt in the morning market.

2 Likes

I can not decipher that pic.

Have only seen sucky shrimp taco.

Saw these at family. Wtf do they taste like?

1 Like

Like heaven with BBQ flavor.

4 Likes

Went to a restaurant for lunch yesterday, in an alley off Nanjing E Rd. Toilet had an internal, permanently open window to the kitchen. It was high enough to give you visual privacy…

3 Likes

Good you didn’t see a chicken soaking in a bucket in said toilet

2 Likes

Some ‘restaurants’ have the toilet behind the kitchen and the leafy greens in a tub next to said WC, rinsing in water from the WC’s sink. And the dishes are also done there.

3 Likes

Taipei is comparatively good hygiene.

I see bad hygiene outside of Taipei and kind of expect it because it’s the norm.

But there are places in the middle of Taipei that bring their food in and set it on the street in the early evening and then wash all their dishes late at night on the same street. Hot water and soap? Ha

Still occasionally see shops chopping up their chickens literally on the asphalt.

And these places are popular because it’s cheap.

5 Likes

Grosses me out. My daughter calls a local street with vendors in squalid conditions “vomit street”.

2 Likes