Wack Things in Taiwan 2020

It’s old school crazy.

Sorry to also share this link. I really find this court case to be the most ridiculous situation I have heard of in Taiwan…and that say a lot for the 20 years I have been here. Why should parents be financially responsible for an illegal building in which their 30 year old daughter died? Unbelievable.

Parents must pay landlord NT$2.86 million for daughter’s suicide in S. Taiwan

1 Like

@icon posted that 2 days ago, do keep up

2 Likes

“as Yang’s parents did not waive their right of succession, Hsieh decided to sue them for the losses”

So something in this culture traditionally, financially, legally commits them to being in some way responsible.

Maybe she also was rightful owner of some other properties or large amounts of money or maybe a cosigner on some house together or maybe they had money hidden under her name and couldn’t get at it unless they also assume her debts and other responsibilities.

It’s kind of common that children are gifted a home or two. Maybe they needed access to that ownership so they have to also assume the debts.

5 Likes

The actual fact is is that people here will normally be reluctant to rent/purchase property in which previous residents met a violent end or took their own life.
In fact, a tenant/buyer can seek legal damages from a landlord/owner who fails to disclose such history prior to renting or selling
Finding it goofy from a Western perspective doesn’t mitigate the market reality.

Seeking damages from the young lady’s family is rather extreme, but the landlord has a legitimate grievance.

3 Likes

i regularly see them flying in formation over my home, the most i have seen is 12 in one go, they don’t half make some noise when they are over head.

Yep, the impact is real. I would more like to understand in what case the parents become liable for their children’s actions.

There are a places in Taiwan you can just see Blackhawk, Apache, others, from the road.

One place for example.

Hengchun Airport (HCN)
No. 393號, Section 2, Shengbei Road, Hengchun

that’s an airport for mosquitos :wink:

I remember when they had to pass a law so children wouldn’t be burdened with the debts of their parents.

I have heard of suits against parents of murderers or other crimes. I have also seen too many cases in which parents pay the compensation or legal costs or damages their adult offspring have in legal affairs.

1 Like

Is dual use military and civilian but not much civilian these days.

I saw at least 20 to 25 helicopters on the ground Wednesday and about 10 more in the air.

i think the civilian side closed a few years back, there is a nice target range just in the mountains you can see them practice managers (from a distance)

Didn’t know where to put this. Here it goes:

Someone drew a downloadable mini Chen Shih-chung, the minister of Health and Welfare. People have been exercising a lot of creativity putting the minister to use.

My favorite, regarding tomorrow as it is White Valentine: single people can’t go out

3 Likes

I used this article as a talking point in today’s class with 6 adults. They unanimously felt the court decision was correct. A couple of them balked at the idea of the parents having to pay the judgement, but another student pointed out basically what tango42 mentioned. It seems that if the parents are trying to gain any of the deceased’s assets then they would be responsible for debts and judgements against the estate.

I still think it’s wacky from my Western perspective, but now I can understand the reasoning behind it more.

1 Like

It is simply inheritance law. You can accept inheritance or waive your right to it. If you accept, you will also inherit debt or like in this case claims against the deceased. So you need to be very careful if you accept your right to inherit from a deceased relative. It might not be only positive stuff.

7 Likes

The only thing that bothers me is that a devaluation purely based on superstition has legal grounds. Her suicide did not do any large amount of physical damage to the property.
Not everyone believes in ghosts. e.g. I would still rent a place where someone died. I bet most of the houses in Taiwan had at some point someone die in it.
It is unbelievable that the judges blamed the deceased for the choice of location of the suicide. She just killed herself at her home. She did not go to a specific house and kill herself to inflict harm to the residents. She lived there.

You should not be able to force your beliefs and theoretical negative impact of it on other people. Especially if those beliefs have no scientific grounds.
Times of inquisition should be long gone in a modern democratic society!

Don’t tell Taiwanese judges that we are constantly eating and breathing the remains of billions people who wandered the earth before us! Some of those even might have killed themselves or been brutally murdered. The nature is a recycling system. All corpses come around and end up being part of us.

I hope the parents can appeal and will go for it. Hopefully higher judges quit that bullshit.

Another case of dumb superstition even in the best of us:

4 Likes

In general, that’s true. But in this case in specific, the building is illegal. There’s no grievance if the property value is exactly zero.

6 Likes

I think they claimed that the ‘devaluation damages’ were done to the whole building and not just the illegal rooftop apparent.

1 Like

Well they need a better lawyer to argue the idiocy of where the logic starts and ends.

2 Likes

Pretty sure it ain’t that simple.
I mean if I go blow up someone’s rooftop (only if I was getting paid, of course), it ain’t like the cops can’t charge me for it just because it wasn’t legal.