Wack Things in Taiwan 2020

According to the FocusTaiwan article the driver will still be with the company (although with a ‘serious demerit’)

I am not familiar with what happened in Taichung. But I will say that people wearing heaps of perfume in enclosed spaces are for me the olfactory equivalent of someone shouting loudly and incessantly. Quieter, please!

Guy

1 Like

Saw giant white moon.

Saw giant white moon.

That was my arse. Agreed it’s pretty whack.

1 Like

Must have been an analar eclipse.

2 Likes

Normal in our tropical countries. Getting on a bus early in the morning, you will face a cacophony of perfume and cologne. It is considered bad manners to come to work stinky…as I have endured here on the MRT or gulp the office. Late after work freshly bathed construction workers add soap and cologne to the mix in our countries.

Here in Taiwan it is naphthalene scent in winter, sweat and other body odors in summer.

In this guy’s case, it is pure pigheadedness. If he was wearing a mask, the smell would not be as bad. Moreover, it is only one person, not 20. The driver could have handed this differently.

4 Likes

This here. I’ve noticed young SE Asian folks at the train stations wearing a good amount of cologne, but I sure as heck would rather smell that than the stinky BO that sometimes wafts through, and first thing in the morning at that!

That’s what happens when one doesn’t shower in the morning.

1 Like

I doubt the Filipinas spill liters of perfume on their body to prevent from bad smell, most likely they do it to seek attention, if only they knew how unattractive it is.

Maybe they’re trying to be counter to the idea that, “all foreigners smell bad!!, especially the dark skinned ones!!”?

Um, in Japan we use the years of the Emperor’s reign as the official year. Today we are in Reiwa 2 year.

And this makes Japan a 3rd world country?

(And FYI, 1st world refers to Western (Europe, North Americas, Japan, and Aus/NZ), 2nd world refers to Communist Bloc, and 3rd world refers to unaligned, and thus mostly underdeveloped. This concept is actually dead now, but still no need to roll 2nd and 3rd together. )

3 Likes

Do they have to write the date of the Emperor in bank papers, appointment books, etc?

I am filing the Skype form. It has to use minguo year. So much for international.

:rofl: Lmfao. Gregorian dates are based on a (likely inaccurate) birthdate of a religious founder of whom many have not even heard of until recently.

If you think everything that is merely different that doesn’t affect your standard of living is developing and needs to be changed in line with the west, then Taiwan is probably not for you.

This like arguing Australia is undeveloped because they drive on the left…or they raise their houses on stilts to keep it cool in the summer. Who cares?

Different countries do different things.

1 Like

That’s true.
Australia is undeveloped because they eat jarred toe jam on toast and play mutant soccer in their jockey shorts.

2 Likes

Exactly, its ridiculous. They have a tendency to do everything only half-heartedly. Like they introduced the law to make left-to-right the official standard for all govt. communication, they could have just well adjusted date formats, address formats.
It makes no sense to have left-to-right as the official format for communication, but addresses will be right-to-left, stating with the lane or apartment on the right.

Do you have no respect for cultural diversity ?

That’s what makes the world such a great place (well, apart from the CCP and other dictatorial cultures, but that’s not the issue here).

Imagine if everyone acted exactly the same as you, dressed like you, thought like you. How boring that would be. Welcome to North Korea!

6 Likes

Not a very nice thing to say about the North Koreans, ace :no_no:

Sorry, Mr Kim.

2 Likes

Agree. I believe his reason was a made up excuse to harass foreigners. It’s interesting that many people assume he’s telling the truth. Maybe they didn’t stink and the driver was a jerk? It would be different if I found the locals to be extremely clean. Frequently, I can smell moldy clothing, greasy hair stink along with visible dandruff flakes, and generally BO on public transit on local people.

5 Likes

1 Like