Wack Things In Taiwan 2021

I hate to break it to you but there are different ethnicities in the world. Like I said, it’s not PC in 2021 to discuss such things, especially on social media.

I’ve only seen them in the wild 1x and that was in the MRT in late May but they were simply walking around.

Ethnicity yes, neighborhood ghetto… rare these days, thank goodness.

Spraying a certain blue line stop. Maybe it’ll be in the news.

Popular Taiwan TV host Xiao S represents China sex toy company, until recently anyway.

“Several companies that sponsor Hsu, including… sex-toy maker Osuga, have sought to distance themselves from Hsu”.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-08-03/taiwan-tv-host-becomes-latest-target-of-china-s-olympics-trolls?utm_source=google&utm_medium=bd&utm_campaign=Pol&cmpId=GP.Pol

4 Likes

The way you phrased it certainly seemed like it was the US .

We don’t have white, Asian and Hispanic neighbourhood in vast majority of countries.

The way I see it SE Asia is colorful especially Philippines and Indonesia .
We can’t just stereotype all Asians.

1 Like

No, I get it. It would be impossible to say that a neighborhood in Taiwan is predominantly Asian or that most places in Mexico City is primarily Hispanic. Probably impossible to tell the suburbs in America to the streets of Manilla unless you were a bitter racist.

She lost about a million USD in endorsement fees for supporting Taiwanese sportspeople at the Olympics. She’s getting divorced.from a Chinese guy as well, fair play.

After often posing Whack Things here I tried to think of some GOOD Whack Things I experienced here…not sure if the below counts…but was whack to me…

While building our house in the countryside…

1. One of our vendors tore down the telephone line while unloading their big equipment off of a truck bed. The wife called the telephone company. They arrived about 40 minutes later and fixed the line in about 40 minutes. NO CHARGE. They did not even seem interested in our apologies…just there to do their job and move on.
  2. We have a small road leading to our back parcel of land. To turn on to the road was a difficult as a telephone pole at the road intersection took up some road space. A friend suggested we call the telephone company to move the pole. I laughed at the suggestion they would help with such issue. The wife called them in the afternoon. The next morning the telephone line crew arrived. They asked me where do I want to move the pole. Half joking I said best would be to move to our neighbors land. The foreman said maybe more fair to put the post half on their land and half on our land…which we did. They spent an hour to move the post over by 1.5 meters. NO CHARGE. They even were reluctant to except our bottle water.

At the time I was thinking how big of an issue this would be in living in U.S.

15 Likes

Yes, it would. Hispanic is not uniform. A neighborhood in Mexico is different from one in Buenos Aires or Arequipa or Masaya. Heck, depending on the neighborhood it would be different from Chiapas.

Now, if you go to a high end mall, it would be the same in LAX, Denver, Mexico or all the above mentioned cities. Victoria,'s Secret, Gap, Tommy Hilfiger… Same horrendous parking lot. Different prices. Oh and the guys wielding the AR 15 are the guards.

It is awesome to live in Taiwan where high to low end restaurants do not need an armed guard.

2 Likes

You are confusing her with her sister. Her sister is getting a divorce, she is not.

They both suck by the way. They and their gang of see-you-next-tuesdays are the Taiwanese equivalent of the Kardashians.

5 Likes

Xiao S I think owns this trendy hotel.

S Hotel

The whole hotel ? Guess she doesn’t need anymore Chinese money then.

I like this idea! I just experienced a wack thing (for Taiwan) the other evening…

I stepped off the curb to cross the street. At the same time an approaching scooter started to make a left turn, requiring him to drive right in front of me across the crosswalk. When I saw him I abruptly stopped walking (this being Taiwan and all), and to my shock the scooter driver also stopped, then calmly motioned for me to continue crossing the street.

I was afraid it would turn into something like in the video below, but I was pleasantly surprised by the guy’s road courtesy, something rare here in Taoyuan.

5 Likes

Sadly that is extremely rare.

2 Likes

People who don’t get on mrt trains proper. Happens a lot here. I may have moaned about it before actually. But the people who get on the mrt and stop at the door thus blocking everybody else from getting on.

A fat woman did it today. It was like she was too lazy to walk an extra few feet.

2 Likes

There’s a thread for that!

2 Likes

It really is surprising when common decency prevails.
Happy cake day, by the way!

1 Like

Yeah what is that ?:grinning:
It seems its my anniversary .:grinning:

2 Likes

The hotel owner is Wang Xiaofei ( 汪小菲) who is the husband of Barbie Hsu " 大S" (Xiao S sister)
Also is a quarantine hotel (S HOTEL Self-Isolated Package offers NT$ 6,000 / night including breakfast, lunch, dinner, tax and service fee)

2 Likes

Yeah, I think that’s the anniversary for joining Forumosa. Anyways, just wanted to thank you for all of your quality posts and insightful commentary. This is probably leading the thread off track but I noticed that it was your “Cake Day” and wanted to be one of your first fans to give you anniversary blessings!

5 Likes

That street the Shotel is on is weird. As you can see it borders the hulking Mandarin Oriental, the world’s most architecturally out of place hotel. There’s this fake historical building next door to S hotel with giant cracks opening in the frontage, and some little shops that look like they are purpose built for rich people. It looks a little manicured and prettied up bordering around there. Then down the road a little bit and things just kind of degenerate into your usual Taiwan urban retail, maybe a scooter shop thrown in there, can’t remember, indistinguishable from any other Taiwan main street.

2 Likes