Wack Things In Taiwan 2021

He wanted to know if you needed the inner tube/tire filled with air.

3 Likes

Well, that would be wack, at least, since I didn’t have an inner tube, and tyres are always full of air.

Its the lack of understanding of finger-pointing gestures that I find wack.

You are of course, perfectly at liberty to find my lack of the Chinese for “I want to buy an inner tube to fit this here tyre” wack, though I, personally, would find that in itself wack.

Either way there seems to be enough wackiness for this particular corner of the World Wide Wack.

Finger-pointing gestures are not known as a reliable form of communication for a reason. Even the deaf and dumb find better alternatives.

5 Likes

Bollocks.
In this specific very limited context, that is. As a general statement its of course a truism,

The other shop sold me an inner tube based on the same routine without hesitation with no words exchanged, and they wernt deaf or dumb because I heard them talking in Chinese to other customers.

Possibly they were taking the piss out of the stupid finger pointing foreigner.

1 Like

OK, good luck with that!

1 Like

I’ve done that almost my whole life. Patching inner tubes, even on the road I’d have a patch kit.

1 Like

Well, to me it sounds like he was asking if it needed air.

Next time Google translate and show them the screen.

2 Likes

Could be.

Of course, in a general sense, tyres do need air, but that would be sort of an existential question with only one answer, so it would be a bit wack

Cf Is the Pope a Catholic? Do bears shit in the woods?

Specifically, for this tyre, since there is no possible way to inflate to greater than atmospheric pressure a bicycle tyre that you are holding in your hand, without a rim or an inner tube… that would be wackier

1 Like

Maybe learn a few words of Chinese for tyre, puncture, fix.
Bob’s your uncle.

2 Likes

don’t even need that: yao xinde zhege [points to inner tube]
translation: want new this

those three words are pretty basic and can be used in all sorts of situations!

3 Likes

Google translate folks. Someone mentioned this above.

7 Likes

Garbage, garbage, garbage…it’s tiring seeing people being so lazy (any country or any place) that they can’t carry their garbage to a trash can or put it in their scooter drink compartment or in their car until they get home or to a convenience store or something…tired of seeing shit strewn all over the place…university bathrooms full of garbage and half drunk tea…people dumping their empty tea cartons in front of a convenience store, all the disgusting garbage people leave on the mountains…small garbage piles at night markets and alleys that start to build up because since a few people already did it it’s okay for everyone else to do it, people leaving their junk food at the bus stop near night markets…not to mention all the cigarettes people drop on the ground and never stomp out and it’s still smoking.

I just don’t get how people can sit in front of a convenience store and just dump their junk on the ground instead of throwing it in the trash can about 2 meters away…

9 Likes

Why would people drink a liter of (bubble, milk …) tea at night?

I agree fully - disgusting.

First thing I noticed when I first visited Taiwan was no street trash cans! But no street trash What? That was 5 years ago.
I notice a few more are appearing now (4 months ago) and litter getting worse!
How does that work?

I know why there is so little as residents where filling them up with household rubbish.

Because they like it?

To stay awake all night?

1 Like

Not all people are so sensitive. My wife can drink a triple expresso and easily fall asleep an hour later.

4 Likes

And keeping pee all night?

I’ve always heard it’s because people will dump their household trash in the street cans.

The street cans near my home were all removed this past year or so even though there hasn’t been any problems with people doing that and there was no renovation or work on the area done at all where they might’ve had to remove it…just one day they removed all of them.

3 Likes