Wack Things In Taiwan 2021

Not any better out here in the countryside. Some farmland near us is full of trash. More convenient to just toss out of the car or off the motorcycle in the morning than wait for the trash truck. Near my wife’s old home every bridge has loads of trash thrown underneath.

I used to complain about the land near us which had tall weeds next to the road which will fall over onto the road causing the road to be more narrow. But now I think they do not cut the weeds near the road so as to keep the trash from blowing onto their land.

2 Likes

You don’t ever need to tell someone in Taiwan your Mandarin is crap. It’s the default assumption.

3 Likes

Yup. She can barely make an hour car ride, but sleeps through the night every night. Go figure.

1 Like

Very sad. 2 teachers, 4 students fell into a river ​on a nature experience camp.

​2 confirmed drowned, rest still missing.

1 Like

That’s not “wack”; it’s tragic. :slightly_frowning_face:

Guy

3 Likes

That many people and not one has the sense to hunker down and wait out the storm? Or did they split up?

They would have listened to the camp leader. So sad.

1 Like

From my understanding of the news: they started hiking up the mountain but it started raining so they turned back. On the way down they had to cross a steam.

Edit: they had to cross this:

While the group were crossing, the water suddenly surged and 7 people were swept away - one girl managed to get out safely, 6 disappeared.

The people who had successful crossed went to the police station. The ones who hadn’t crossed yet went back up the mountain and sheltered in a temple.

7 Likes

Wonder why they didn’t do that the first time. Crossing a stream in the middle of a downpour?

2 Likes

“The estimated number of foreign arrivals in Taiwan in 2030 is expected to be about 20 percent lower than previously forecast, the Tourism Bureau said Monday, citing the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic.”

It’s 2021, who gives a f***? Maybe it’s China by then, as in PRC, Taiwan special administrative region (TSAR)

Very likely :+1:

how can they dream of forecasting that far ahead?

They sound bored shitless over there. Quiet time for them I suppose.

They weren’t crossing. They were sitting in a small falls enjoying the stream. There doesn’t appear to be any rain. Suddenly there is a big surge of water. I have the unedited video but I think it’s too big to upload.

Some extra information

No idea what this is but it scares me

2 Likes

You are right, however a percentage of what you are seeing is also wind blowing trash out of the can (or generally moving trash around), and rats dragging stuff out of the bin itself.

Upsets me personally when dog walkers put (presumably) their dog shit in a plastic bag, but then hang the plastic bag on a nearby tree. If you’re going to be that careless, just leave the shit on the ground!

2 Likes

That is so common UK AND Taiwan, my mind boggles on why they do that?

I can’t fathom a calm and considered response. My friends say I need to do cognitive behavioural therapy… NO just don’t hang your dog faeces from a fucking tree :rofl:

2 Likes

In Taiwan sometimes we don’t have a choice, it’s real hard to find a trash can anywhere. They get taken out because people kept putting their residential waste in there.

But I seen much worse at Walmart. And they have trash cans everywhere.

Like used diapers on store shelves…