Wack Things in Taiwan 2023

Don’t forget the throwing of a dead dog into a river or creek.

WTF!

4 Likes

English article.

3 Likes

“A semi-trailer traveling northbound was then struck by the cable which caused the car initially struck by the cable to hooked up again and the ensuing pileup, as the other five vehicles were unable to avoid the car.” :person_facepalming:

1 Like

This happened in Kaohsiung about 20 years ago and is even a movie about it.

1 Like

I swear I will die in Taiwan by someone else’s negligence or stupidity and not by my own actions.

18 Likes

That’s just an only in Taiwan moment.

3 Likes

Watching these videos, I feel it’s amazing really that any of us here are alive and able to post on this forum. :neutral_face:

Guy

3 Likes

My wife and I had a church event to attend last night so we put our daughter in charge of taking care of our son. We left them some money for dinner, assuming that they would order through Uber. Our daughter then sends a picture of them eating at Costco, which is only 10 minutes away but at an area with terrible traffic conditions (like all Costcos here). They made the trip on a scooter. I had a little discussion with my daughter when I got home. Her driving skills are good, but there are just too many idiots out there, especially around any of Costcos.

7 Likes

Don’t be too harsh with her, she was honest and shared their location with you. Next time, take the scooter keys with you XD.

Like everywhere here.

11 Likes

Your daughter sounds like a trooper. Maybe this will be a learning experience, but overall you should be proud of her.

Guy

6 Likes

Seems to be a lot of fires lately…

In a 24 hour Carrefour a few young guys were messing around with an aerosal can and a lighter…which started a fire. They’re lucky no one died.

Reports indicate that a 20-year-old was encouraged and pressured by two friends to spray a flammable pesticide through the flame of a lighter to create a “flame-thrower effect.” The man’s actions caused a shelf full of cleaning supplies to ignite, and the fire quickly spread.

4 Likes

This sounds like every teenage boy I’ve ever known

7 Likes

I was doing that stuff preteen… :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

I admit when I read this my first thought “Yeah, I could easily have been stupid enough to do that.”

3 Likes

But in the store and toward a shelf full of cleaning supplies. And he was 20! I think I grew out of that kind of thing at 16. Serious idiocy.

5 Likes

Wife just told me 3 guys with guns went hunting for Shanqiang (the small deer). One guy accidently killed himself by placing his loaded gun in front of him on the motorcycle. The gun went off and the bullet went through his throat.

Reminds me of the night I heard gun fire next to my house. A truck with 3 guys on the back rolled down in front of our street. I went out to see why they were shooting near out house. They said they were licensed to hunt wild mountain pigs. On guy was holding two rabbits he had just shot. I watched them as they walked around shining their lights up into the trees. Really pissed me off that they can drive around shooting at animals only about 20 meters from my yard. Then claim to be hunting wild pigs while shining their lights into the trees. I never heard of pigs resting in trees at night. Well, prior to that was a guy who used to slowly drive down the road near our house using on of those large spot lights to look into the trees. I complained about this guy to some guys at the local temple. They said his excuse is he is hunting rabbits with a large slingshot. Well, you run into this kind of crap living in the countryside.

4 Likes

Jesus…
If I understand correctly he put the loaded gun in front of him in the foot rest area and only used his legs to secure it with butt of the gun on the foot rest and the barrel facing up towards him and while driving on the bumpy road it went off and shot him in the chin. All 3 guns they had were unregistered too.

Picture of the gun.

An aboriginal man in Hualien went hunting in the mountains at night and successfully captured a Mountain Qiang. Unexpectedly, on the way down the mountain, the road was bumpy and the gun stood on the pedals of the motorcycle. The gun accidentally went off. The rider shot himself and was sent to the hospital. He was later pronounced dead, and police traced it and found that the three shotguns they brought up the mountain were not registered.

The man fell on the road, and his friends quickly performed CPR while waiting for the ambulance to arrive.

The incident took place in the mountains of Xiulin Township in Hualien. The ambulance and the police car were on the same road. One had to go down the mountain and the other had to go up the mountain. The police car could only fall all the way.

The man was pronounced dead after being sent to the hospital. The police traced that he fell to the ground because of a shotgun, which accidentally went off and shot himself in the chin.

When the police arrived at the scene, they saw only the Shanqiang at first, but no shotgun. After questioning, they found out that the group had three shotguns, all of which were unregistered. They finally found them beside the bushes.

At around 10 o’clock in the evening on November 27, a 29-year-old man surnamed Yu grabbed his younger brother and friends and went hunting in the mountains. As a result, on the way down the mountain, the industrial road was bumpy. The deceased was riding a motorcycle with the butt of his shotgun down. He stood on the pedals of the motorcycle and used his feet hold the gun in place. Clamped and fixed, the bumpy road caused the motorcycle to vibrate, causing the gun to go off, leading to tragedy. The police said that the maximum fine for not applying for a shotgun was 20,000. In this incident, the three shotguns were not registered.

3 Likes

A late entry, but quite strong, for the 2023 Darwin Award.

3 Likes

Link to a different source, for those of us who don’t want to give free clicks to the onIine rag “Taiwan News.” :nauseated_face:

https://focustaiwan.tw/society/202312030007

Interesting how those youths were so reckless until it came time for them to hazard the slippery steps of the prosecutors office.

Another “wack” thing in Taiwan? Or, being clever to avoid being identified. Interesting balance of recklessness and preparedness.

2 Likes