Wack Things in Taiwan 2023

I’m more surprised that some trivial fight makes it to the news. :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

This incident—such as it is—is also being discussed here:

Guy

1 Like

Whenever I check out Google Reviews for restaurants here, I always see whining about “CP value.” I forget what the acronym means, but I know it’s something related to how much food you’re getting for how much money. Typical Taiwanese skinflint mentality. In any event, seeing “CP value” constantly pop up over every other consideration gets on my nerves. Imagine being a restaurateur who takes pride in your food and tries to source the freshest and best ingredients on a daily basis, and have some Karen give you 1 star because quality costs a little more.

5 Likes

I could be wrong, but I’ve always thought of CP as just being “value for money” (and so also factors in quality). Just, most Taiwanese value portion size the most out of anything.

3 Likes

CP’s a KPI that KOL use to increase the actionable CTR. LOHAS and DM FTW!

I wonder if the above makes any sense.

8 Likes

Do you think there is such a place in Kaohsiung?

Yes, I know several.

2 Likes

Top secret, I see.

Not at all. I’ve previously discussed my favorite local place in other threads. A sichuan noodle restaurant that makes their own fresh noodles daily and sources very high quality beef. It’s located near Ruifeng market.

But this is the ‘wack things’ thread and that place definitely isn’t wack.

Just go here and ask. Kaohsiung Eateries - #47 by DrewC

Other good recommendations there too.

EDIT: Actually, based on the thread you’ve already asked me this question before and I already told you. Kaohsiung Eateries - #38 by TT

:wink:

3 Likes

Foreigners are involved because English was spoken. So it is being framed into that narrative. See who comes along as the attacker, who is the peace maker. :rant:

Even worse is the narrative in the article about the firefighter who died rescuing “ingrate illegal workers, who break the law and worse, are now on the loose”. Ugh :wall:

1 Like

On my side, I was delighted to see an apostrophe used correctly—especially given recent trends on this site.

Guy

3 Likes

Ah! I would agree that that restaurant fits your description perfectly — also one of my favorite noodle restaurants in Kaohsiung, but likely wouldn’t be described as high CP

2 Likes

I’m good friends with the owners too. Super nice people.

3 Likes

Here’s what I want to know: do they use numbing pepper (花椒)?

If so, and if this establishment is in K-Town, I would be impressed.

Guy

2 Likes

Rarely does it take into account quality and/or safety. When I hear cp value, I tend to just walk away immediately as we then can fairly accurately assume it will be of truly shit quality. People selling quality rarely need to justify price

1 Like

The reviewers that complain about low CP are doing us a favor. If I see great photos, other good reviews plus CP complaints from locals, then I’ll probably like it.

10 Likes

11 posts were split to a new topic: Wack Things in Taiwan 2024