Wack Things in Taiwan 2024

Someone is doing laundry at this unholy hour! :rant:

Fireworks I’d forgive, but friggin laundry at midnight?! In the oldest, noisiest clunky last century washing machine?! :noway: Too low, man, too low.

Makes one miss the old country dance until dawn open air concert in each house kind of party.

8 Likes

But, no worries, Taiwan is fully prepared for that situation and there’s no immediate danger to the public!

Hsu Chi-lun (許智倫) oversees recycling for the ministry, and said that for cost-efficiency reasons, the crushing machine used to recycle the mattresses will only be started once the pile reaches a certain number. Hsu said Taiwan’s mattress processing capacity is “absolutely sufficient,” and that they needed about 5,000 more mattresses to start the crusher.

5 Likes

The ministry said just under one million mattresses are thrown away in Taiwan annually,

Seems a lot, are we off by a factor of 10 again?

1 Like

With a population of 23 million, 1 million mattresses per year (and assuming 1 mattress per person - could even be more because of hotels, secondary homes, …) comes down to replacing each mattress less than once every 20 years.

1 Like

There are 3 mattresses outside my building at the moment waiting for collection. Given the amount of DNA on them, they surely have a story to tell the re-cyclers

Oh if those mattresses could talk . . .

. . . I’m not sure I’d want to hear their stories. :joy:

Guy

1 Like

Whole lotta stains :clown_face: :clown_face: :clown_face:

1 Like

Can they not thermally recycle them, then the left over steel can be recycled?

I don’t even throw away metal items if I got space for it. Reason is scrap yards will pay you for it.

If you don’t have room for them, leave it outside, there’s old folks who could use the money.

I can’t count how many old sofas and mattresses I see dumped and rotting all over the place. It’s not stainless in those springs.

I remember a post here many years ago. About abandoned vehicles if I remember correctly. And the basic meaning the person had was: Taiwan is rich enough to buy new ones but poor enough not to dispose of the old ones. Or something to that affect. I agree 100%. I see countless scooters even just tossed aside, even friends do it. They can get a few k easy with nearly no effort. Mafen…same friends complain about garbage noodles going up 10nt

2 Likes

Problem is people have to pay to dispose of the old, useless vehicle, hence the reluctancy to throw them away properly.

No argument with any of your points about waste, but around getting a few k selling something second hand in Taiwan. Try and sell something on facebook or other here and come back to us!

Saw one of the ‘rappers’ on the new years music concert throw out the N word in one of his songs. Dude is lucky he is in Taiwan!!!

So can you not drive it to a scrap yard, and scrap the entire vehicle?

I believe you will have to remove the plate, and take it to the DMV to have it canceled.

To clarify your confusions with my post:

In Taiwan cetain trash is worth quite a bit as recycle or through various programs. Taiwan is rich enough to kot care about said money. And we see a lot of abandonedor dumped shit because we are too poor (minded) to be repsonsible. Or, perhaps, too selfish.

Our trashed truck got us $50,000 last year. Scooters almost always fetch 1000-5000 from the buyers. To add to that, I often got hounded at the dmv in certain parts of taiwan (pingtung city used to be great for this) by recycling companies that would buy stuff. It’s not always strictly recycled. Taiwan has a busy enough machinery export industry of shitty items shipped to places that can still use them. So, reuse, refurbish, re whatever. You get paid for such things. And many times, for a lower purchase price and arranged pickup date. They will pick it up. Granted, I haven’t kept up since covid shut down everything. Not sure if it has bounced back the same as say 5 years ago. But recycle takes them with smiles, at the very least. And you at least get a few meals worth of cash.

What I was alluding to is not only is it EASY as all God dang to dispose of things “properly” in Taiwan, it can also make you money! ESPECIALLY in comparison to the slow deconstruction and cheap metal like the steel inside a mattress.

Anyway. With garbage and recycle available most areas nearly daily and extremely heap to free, there is no excuse to be so selfish to dump shit ok the side of the roads, in the mountains, rivers and so on. It is a bit beyond extremely…can’t think of a word extreme enough…

3 Likes

Thank you for clarifying my confusions.

3 Likes

UDN reported that because the male student willingly engaged in illegal behavior on public school grounds, he was also found guilty of crimes.

For engaging in indecent behavior as a minor, the boy will spend three months in a juvenile facility and his family will be forced to pay a minor fine, yet to be determined.

The boy will do jail time. The family has been fined. Wow!!!

Maybe they should force him to marry her???

7 Likes

Something wrong with the reporting. She was sentenced to 1.5 years but the court says she has to serve 1 year and 8 months? that’s more than 1.5 years.

There’s a serious double standard for such a thing though. If the teacher had been male and the student female, the male teacher would have been almost crucified, and this is almost universal.

2 Likes

It says “1.5 years for each charge”, so 4.5 years, with the rest on probation.

The bad reporting/double standard/both seems to be with this part though:

the court in the Chiayi case determined that the student’s involvement in the relationship was entirely consensual.

So she was punished because the student was too young to consent, but the student consented, so he was old enough to consent? That doesn’t make much sense.

5 Likes

It’s bad reporting, which Taiwan news is known for. Likely written by someone with poor understanding of English, as legal documents in Taiwan has odd language that is hard to translate unless you know English well. I’d be willing to bet they google translated a lot of the legal documents before writing the article, or it was a direct translation from a Chinese article.

1.5 years on each charge served consecutively seems harsh unless she had sex with 3 other students.

Underaged person can’t legally consent to sex at all, but not sure why is the boy made to serve time in a juvie as well?

1 Like

Wife just looked this up. Apparently if you’re under 16 and have sex and get reported, it’s considered a crime. I’m told it’s a “reformatory” thing. That’s crazy.

3 Likes