Wack Things in Taiwan 2023

This should totally be an Olympic sport.

4 Likes

Taiwan will finally get some gold!

4 Likes

26 Likes

WTF. Taiwan is beyond help.

4 Likes

Lane 143, Xinming Rd
Taipei, Taipei City

Fun fact:
Since at least 2009 that space is occupied by a shipping container. The container was replaced once around mid 2019.

10 Likes

Olympic bid FAIL!!!

Even something as simple as throwing out rubbish is crippled by the Taiwanese 差不多 mindset!

1. Unauthorized rubbish bag.
  2. Improperly secured rubbish which separates and one smaller bag clearly doesn’t make it into the truck. I wonder if he even bothered to pick up the portion that missed.

6 Likes

Do you know the story behind the shipping container?

No. I just geo-located it, then used Google maps historic street views to see how long this has been a thing.

I filed a petition/complaint using https://hello.gov.taipei

1 Like

Sounds hip like a trendy pop up shop.

Extra points

4 Likes

I suspect some sort of land use dispute.

I’ve often thought about doing this myself. I’m like 80% sure I have the strength and accuracy to successfully wing a 5–10-kilogram garbage bag into the back of the truck from 5–7 meters, but I’ve so far been put off by the 20% possibility of missing and looking like a total knob, or some old lady wandering out into the flight path mid-throw (Taiwan News: “Foreigner hurls garbage at Taiwanese pensioner, minor injuries sustained”).

10 Likes

You just don’t understand Taiwanese sports… :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

the plot thickens

police also found six forged NT$1,000 banknotes on Lee’s person and a further 121 counterfeit notes – all NT$1,000 bills and with the same ID number HR484268XD – in the car glovebox

4 Likes
2 Likes

What is it with this “n-word” crap? He called him a “nigger”. It’s in the dictionary.

2 Likes

Still, I doubt any real English-language publication anywhere is going to use that in an article headline…

Also:

At 11 p.m. on Dec. 3, a 36-year-old American English teacher who has lived in Taiwan for 10 years, Jerry Biggs, was riding his scooter with his 32-year-old wife Tanya Lin sitting behind him, his 3-year-old son in front, and his 5-month baby on his chest in a carrier.

This guy has acclimated* well. Is he really American?

(*You can change this to “acclimatized” or “acclimatised” in your head if you want. No language tips needed. :sweat_smile:)

6 Likes

The world has gone fucking mad.

1 Like

Is this worth going to the police over?

Seems so. Babies and scooters do not mix.