Wack Things in Taiwan (part 3)

Chris: That’s always struck me as a little odd. What if some dude goes in there growing a third testicle out of the end of his dick or something, and a young woman just pokes her head in the door to give her papers to the nurse and the other patient literally has his stalk out on the doctor’s desk? Shit, I don’t even want to walk in on some old lady’s anaconda like varicose veins, let alone anyone with an STD.

In some ways, Taiwanese are super-concerned about modesty. In other ways, not at all, such as anything regarding (the cleaning of) male toilets in bus stations in this country. There you are having a piss and there’s an old lady mopping around your feet, with those swinging doors opening every two seconds.

Well, they will sometimes lock the door if they’re getting you to strip down (at least my dermatologist did. Not that it mattered much, since the room had the doctor, two nurses, and three residents (all guys, which kind of defeated the purpose of going to a female dermatologist :unamused: ), so there was already an audience).
An ENT nurse once had me sit and wait in the office while the doctor did something that involved replacing the valve (or whatever it is) in this old lady’s neck-breathing hole. I was NOT pleased about being anywhere near people poking things into neck-holes :sick: .
What I hate most about the system is that different hospitals all seem to have different systems, so I feel like I never know what the hell is going on. Sometimes you put the paper in the slot, sometimes you barge in and hand it to the nurse, sometimes you do nothing and just wait. And of course I always seem to pick the wrong one the first time I’m at a new place.

ISO:: Chabudo

saddletramp: I don’t think that picture is real unless the guy holding the ladder moonlights as a circus performer, Olympic gymnast or competitive powerlifter. The guy holding the ladder up and the guy on the ladder both look like they’re about average size/weight. That means that the guy holding the ladder up is basically shoulder pressing his own bodyweight, plus that of the ladder. I call massive bullshit on that. Go to any gym and check out how much people shoulder press. The average person at a gym is going to be shoulder pressing considerably less than 50% of his bodyweight. Also, how would the guy holding the ladder get the guy on the ladder up in the air like that? What, he’s going to clean and press a guy on a ladder twenty feet in the air? I don’t think so.

Could be photoshopped, just thought it was pretty funny, and if it is fake, well, as someone that employs local tradesman, it looks like the kind of shit they do all the time.

Hosptial related wackness: I don’t like how everyone just walks right through the ER at any hospital I’ve ever been in here. No one even blinks an eyelash at strangers walking into, through, and back out of the ER. And don’t get me started on being IN the ER and absoultely surounded by look-y-loos! And if you close the curtains around your bed, provided there are any, they’ll just come on over and open them up again!

housecat: That’s where, if possible, you get bodily fluids upon such people.

Seen that exact same thing more than once. Bloke on the ladder was standing on the balcony-edge below, couldn’t get up high enough. Other bloke picks up the ladder and supports it, bloke climbs on it and up to get to where he wants to work. :loco:

sandman: Really? How strong were they? I don’t think I could hold a friend who weighed the same as me over my head like that for more than about two seconds, especially having to stabilise him. Is every tradesman in this country superhuman?

How strong? Dunno. Normal working-man strong, I guess. Its not like I asked if I could squeeze his biceps.

That’d be a first!

I’ve seen so many Taiwanese guys perform feats of strenght not expected from their actual physical height -and I mean moving heavy objects, like fridges or sofas, single-handedly. I thought it was pinglan induced.

He’s not really doing any lifting, just has his arms locked in place. That and the fact that some of the weight would be distributed horizontally against the building, even though the angle is quite sharp, yeah, it’s possible.

Its good ol Taiwanese countryboy ingenuity to me ! They look like they do this regularly, the guy on top is just carrying on, oblivious to the obvious danger?

edit: actually I think its HongKong or Macau , rather then TAiwan. Taiwanese dont use those poles straight out from the buildings to hang clothes like they do in HK and Macau.

citizen k: He is doing lifting. He still has to use muscles to stabilise. In fact, because of that, he’s probably actually using weaker muscles. Go and hold something heavy above your head with your arm(s) locked and tell me you’re not lifting it.

Maybe he does kettle bell training with Forumosa Fitness?

bismarck: Maybe!

[quote=“tommy525”]Its good ol Taiwanese countryboy ingenuity to me ! They look like they do this regularly, the guy on top is just carrying on, oblivious to the obvious danger?

edit: actually I think its HongKong or Macau , rather then Taiwan. Taiwanese dont use those poles straight out from the buildings to hang clothes like they do in HK and Macau.[/quote]

Yep, the ambulance also looks suspiciously not from here, the signs, etc…

Thinking about it, the ambulance is very “optimistic” of them…

This is something I come across quite a bit in my work.

When students are writing an essay as part of their application materials to a university, they sometimes write something that obliquely insults people in the field they are applying to, the profession of the people who will be reading the essay, or the country in which the university is located.

Examples:

“After completing my PhD, I would like to enter into the R&D department of a major oil corporation, because I do not want to waste my expertise by merely teaching at a university.” (Uhhh, the people reading this will most likely be university professors.)

“It is well known that Americans are not the most sophisticated or open-minded people.” (on an application essay to an American university)

“I find Accounting to be a mind-numbingly boring field, but I am pursuing it because of the prospects of landing a high-paying job after graduation.” (Kudos for being brutally honest, but there’s a good chance that not all of the admissions committee will see the merit in such a statement!)

[quote=“Chris”]This is something I come across quite a bit in my work.

When students are writing an essay as part of their application materials to a university, they sometimes write something that obliquely insults people in the field they are applying to, the profession of the people who will be reading the essay, or the country in which the university is located.

Examples:

“After completing my PhD, I would like to enter into the R&D department of a major oil corporation, because I do not want to waste my expertise by merely teaching at a university.” (Uhhh, the people reading this will most likely be university professors.)

“It is well known that Americans are not the most sophisticated or open-minded people.” (on an application essay to an American university)

“I find Accounting to be a mind-numbingly boring field, but I am pursuing it because of the prospects of landing a high-paying job after graduation.” (Kudos for being brutally honest, but there’s a good chance that not all of the admissions committee will see the merit in such a statement!)[/quote]

That’s beautiful. :laughing: I mean it.