Wack Things in Taiwan (part 3)

[quote=“downtownandrew”]So many cute dogs being walked around by the most anti-social owners.
I see a cute dog being walked down the street and it warms my heart and I smile at the dog and the owner… sometimes saying in Mandarin “hello small dog”, “nice dog” etc.

Nearly every single time… the owner makes this stiff pokerface of ignoring the situation completely and keeps walking stone cold dead inside. WTF. Really?[/quote]

It is for your own good. If we acknowledge your presence, that little furball of cuteness will turn into a savage beast and tear you apart. Apologies.

At leats, that is in my case. Bobby reacts to the word “cute” -koai or kawaii- like a boxer to the bell…

Today in a small town I noted that the car facing my car at an intersection had a large slain goose on the car hood. Blood was dripping down from the goose all over the hood. Real or fake? Anyway, I was behind him when he held up traffic as he stopped to buy a snack from street vendor. Then he pulled into 7-11 parking lot. He did not seem to be in a hurry to get home.

I love it when they write “台灣e化” or “我的e政府” as it always makes me think of this “e” being pinyin for ‘evil’ (惡), and the whole phrase meaning “the degeneration of Taiwan” (台灣惡化) or “my evil government” (我的惡政府).

Or perhaps it could be the “Russification of Taiwan” (台灣俄化) if the “E” is capitalized like on www.gov.tw.

Tied with rope?

I did not see any rope. He was driving slowly. Maybe the blood was drying allowing the very large bird to stick to the car?

I have to laugh histerically every time someone here suggests drastic fines as a solution to law-breaking -or at least, a deterrent. Drastic fines?! :roflmao:

Look, a building company illegally razed the home of a guy, while him and his family were out to lunch. The company was fined 90 thousand ntd, which compared to the gazillion million it will make from building a high rise in that property, is ridiculous. But such is life in the tropics…

So it was placed there intentionally, perhaps for dinner, or did he just hit it in the street? I guess you don’t really have that info. :laughing:

[quote=“Icon”]I have to laugh histerically every time someone here suggests drastic fines as a solution to law-breaking -or at least, a deterrent. Drastic fines?! :roflmao:

Look, a building company illegally razed the home of a guy, while him and his family were out to lunch. The company was fined 90 thousand ntd, which compared to the gazillion million it will make from building a high rise in that property, is ridiculous. But such is life in the tropics…[/quote]

it works on the mrt. people won’t even take a SIP! this story was pretty ridiculous though.

[quote=“Icon”]I have to laugh histerically every time someone here suggests drastic fines as a solution to law-breaking -or at least, a deterrent. Drastic fines?! :roflmao:

Look, a building company illegally razed the home of a guy, while him and his family were out to lunch. The company was fined 90 thousand ntd, which compared to the gazillion million it will make from building a high rise in that property, is ridiculous. But such is life in the tropics…[/quote]

I believe the fine was for starting construction without applying/receiving a permit, not for demolishing the guys shack. The shack was an illegal construction on land that the guy didn’t own consisting of a concrete 1st floor and tin sheet second and third. It won’t be a big loss to the area.

[quote=“SuperS54”][quote=“Icon”]I have to laugh histerically every time someone here suggests drastic fines as a solution to law-breaking -or at least, a deterrent. Drastic fines?! :roflmao:

I believe the fine was for starting construction without applying/receiving a permit, not for demolishing the guys shack. The shack was an illegal construction on land that the guy didn’t own consisting of a concrete 1st floor and tin sheet second and third. It won’t be a big loss to the area.[/quote]

Not really that black and white -quite greyish actually, as the guy does not won land rights but yes to building rights. Plus it is pretty a nasty thing to come back and find your home and belongings bulldozed. You’d think they’d learn after the Miaoli scandals… This was in the middle of Sanchong -not a pretty sight by itself. And do remember all they are building are mosquito halls. Like Danshuei, Sanxia, etc. etc. etc. neither pretty nor useful nor benefiting the community.

This was someone’s home. I can’t presume to know their story. But this has got to hurt pretty bad. Meanwhile, the jack*ss company who did it were apparently fined a whopping NT$90,000–for unlawfully destroying someone’s home. This is more than “whack”; it’s a travesty of any semblance of justice.

Guy

This was someone’s home. I can’t presume to know their story. But this has got to hurt pretty bad. Meanwhile, the jack*ss company who did it were apparently fined a whopping NT$90,000–for unlawfully destroying someone’s home. This is more than “whack”; it’s a travesty of any semblance of justice.

Guy[/quote]

They weren’t fined for destroying anything, they were fined for not having the permit to start operations.

Talking about operations, if you guys can have a look at the videos circulationg about the flooding at Taoyuan Airport. I cannot begin to undertsand how in all permutations possible, how come there are pieces of luggage floating?! I mean, wher edid they put them? Where do they come from? There is luggage floating among the cars, coming from…? Somewhere inside the airport.

And that is not mentionig there is water halfway up teh escalators. I mean, one thing is to leave the luggage carts -wher you load the stiuff before putting the whole kit and kaboole on the plane out in the rain. But how did the luggage become a message in a bottle?!

[quote=“Icon”]Talking about operations, if you guys can have a look at the videos circulationg about the flooding at Taoyuan Airport. I cannot begin to undertsand how in all permutations possible, how come there are pieces of luggage floating?! I mean, wher edid they put them? Where do they come from? There is luggage floating among the cars, coming from…? Somewhere inside the airport.

And that is not mentionig there is water halfway up teh escalators. I mean, one thing is to leave the luggage carts -wher you load the stiuff before putting the whole kit and kaboole on the plane out in the rain. But how did the luggage become a message in a bottle?![/quote]
Yesterday on the news I saw the luggage floating and wondered the same thing! Where the hell did that come from?! :doh:

[quote=“Yang Gui Zi”][quote=“Icon”]Talking about operations, if you guys can have a look at the videos circulationg about the flooding at Taoyuan Airport. I cannot begin to undertsand how in all permutations possible, how come there are pieces of luggage floating?! I mean, wher edid they put them? Where do they come from? There is luggage floating among the cars, coming from…? Somewhere inside the airport.

And that is not mentionig there is water halfway up teh escalators. I mean, one thing is to leave the luggage carts -wher you load the stiuff before putting the whole kit and kaboole on the plane out in the rain. But how did the luggage become a message in a bottle?![/quote]
Yesterday on the news I saw the luggage floating and wondered the same thing! Where the hell did that come from?! :doh:[/quote]

From what I remember back in the ol country when I worked ramp, you get the luggage from the counter and they lower it to ramp level where it goes inspection and loading either into carts for manual loading or special containers to be fixed by machines onto larger planes -tyhis last being the most modern system, automated and all that jazz. In places like IAD, they have this spider web of conveyor belts taking luggage to its respective destinations for loading.

However, in Taoyuan, if the power was off, it might be that most luggage was still in the conveyor belts in transit to its loading site, and suince th eflood went all the way to the escalators, that could be it. I mena, the parking lot has cars floating, it also might be they just couldn’t put the luggage in the catrrts or containers for loading. I know they put passengers without luggage.

And that is why I pack my clothes in Ziplock bags…

[quote=“Icon”]Talking about operations, if you guys can have a look at the videos circulationg about the flooding at Taoyuan Airport. I cannot begin to undertsand how in all permutations possible, how come there are pieces of luggage floating?! I mean, wher edid they put them? Where do they come from? There is luggage floating among the cars, coming from…? Somewhere inside the airport.

I suppose this is the opposite of Bangkok’s big flood a few years ago: two airports, one mostly domestic and one mostly international, and while in Bangkok only the domestic airport was affected, in Taiwan it’s the other way around.

I think I heard someone in the video saying it was broken luggage people had tossed.

So many? Do they have like a bank or something? At the basement? :s I fear that is one of the Taiwanese style explanations they use when they do not want to take the blame.

I did hear the understantement of the century there. One of teh officials saying “what happened here today was a great challenge for us”. No &^%$#@, Sherlock!

whack

Is that someone abandoning a dog?