Wack Things in Taiwan (part 3)

Twice I have seen people taking their dogs for a walk by holding the dog’s leash while driving a car…they let the leash hang outside the driver’s window while the dog runs alongside the car.

[quote=“RickRooney”]

whack[/quote]

That’s a powerful video.

Yea they are abandoning it. I mean, i didn’t see the car slow down and pick the dog up again…

Flakman: ive seen quite a lot with scooters, which sucks but cars ?? Absolutely brutal. My dog has hip problems, he probably wouldn’t be able to walk for a week if i did that to him.

Walk out of the apartment elevator on the left side…
the guard at the door… laughing " you just came out of that elevator?"
me: yes?
guard laughing more “It’s broken.”
Its a 20 story building…
me “but there was no sign, and there was no announcment.”
guard “you should be more careful.”

wife goes ballistic " so why dont you put up a goddamn sign and make an announcement!?!?"

guard… “yea you are right.”
makes a little sign and hangs up on the lobby, not near the elevator… as the elevator goes up to get more passengers. :fume: :noway: :noway: :noway: :astonished: :loco: :pray: :popcorn:

Given that recently there was a horrible accident where a young college student was crushed when the elevator failed in a college building, I think the guard should pay more attention.

damn. I’m pretty certain my brain would have burned out faced with that level of epic stupidity. Why not just switch the thing off?

Missed this protest: workers stripped to complain about lack of days off

In the taxi.
Stuck in traffic.
I make small talk “same thing happen yesterday, heavy traffic here.”
his reply “NO! Traffic yesterday because of rain.”
today it was sunny was the only difference.
All of my whats?

[quote=“downtownandrew”]In the taxi.
Stuck in traffic.
All of my whats?[/quote]

I don’t take taxi’s often, but I know to NEVER ask them any questions.
Last time I passed by the surpreme court near NTU hospital and asked what the building was…he answered and went on a 10-15 min rant about how the courts are useless.
Oops.

[quote=“ranlee”][quote=“downtownandrew”]In the taxi.
Stuck in traffic.
All of my whats?[/quote]

I don’t take taxi’s often, but I know to NEVER ask them any questions.
Last time I passed by the surpreme court near NTU hospital and asked what the building was…he answered and went on a 10-15 min rant about how the courts are useless.
Oops.[/quote]

My last conversation was a blast with the taxi driver… old man was in charge of finding “entertainment ladies” for soldiers a few decades ago , and just making sure that they were not mixed up criminally. I bet he knows allot of old whores on this island. It was interesting how he got assigned the job, almost lost it, and then finally retired. Crazy part was… I never asked him, he just started blurting out all this info… maybe a senior moment he was having. :roflmao:

8 story Office building announcement on PA system during an important meeting with a client:
Essentially saying “You MUST use only the bathroom on your floor and not one on a floor above or below you.”

Am I back in pre-school?

Maybe they can also make an announcement to properly flush the toilet after use?

[quote=“downtownandrew”]8 story Office building announcement on PA system during an important meeting with a client:
Essentially saying “You MUST use only the bathroom on your floor and not one on a floor above or below you.”

Am I back in pre-school?

Maybe they can also make an announcement to properly flush the toilet after use?[/quote]

Stupid rules in Taiwan exist because society lacks the ability to punish anti-social behaviours.

If for example in a Western country some asshole from the 7th floor decided to use the 5th floor bathrooms to smoke and also leave a colossal dump in the toilet, you’d surely have someone put that asshole into his place.

Not so much in Taiwan - anyone long enough here knows that reminding your fellow man of common courtesy will at best only result in childish fundamental arguments on what courtesy is rather than a self-critical reflection on rotten behaviour and at worst in a violent altercation and a lawsuit for public insult.

Taiwan is exactly the kindergarten that the people on this island deserve.

[quote=“hsinhai78”][quote=“downtownandrew”]8 story Office building announcement on PA system during an important meeting with a client:

Am I back in pre-school?

Maybe they can also make an announcement to properly flush the toilet after use?[/quote]

Stupid rules in Taiwan exist because society lacks the ability to punish anti-social behaviours.

If for example in a Western country some asshole from the 7th floor decided to use the 5th floor bathrooms to smoke and also leave a colossal dump in the toilet, you’d surely have someone put that asshole into his place.

Not so much in Taiwan - anyone long enough here knows that reminding your fellow man of common courtesy will at best only result in childish fundamental arguments on what is courtesy rather than a self-critical reflection on rotten behaviour and at worst in a violent altercation and a lawsuit for public insult.

Taiwan is exactly the kindergarten that the people on this island deserve.[/quote]

The antisocial stuff is certainly a problem but not something corporate bosses would care about. More likely it is to control time-wasting.

A lot of young male Taiwanese office workers spend a big chunk of the day in the toilets sleeping/masturbating/playing cellphone games in the stalls or preening themselves in the mirror.

It’s easier to get away with that kind of behavior in the long term if you are able to circulate among the toilets in an office building.

i’m actually sick of all the ‘metal sheet houses’ and illegal additions. they make the place look like so much more of a depressing dump than it should. how did it get this bad? why do people still get away with building this crap everyday?

a building across the road from me used to have a balcony on it with rather big windows. now they have completely covered it up, they have surrounded this floor with a black wall, all windows are covered and now they have finished it off with a shitty red iron roof. all daylight must be elliminated! it looks like shit.

Because in Taiwanese logic, the person filing a report is worse than the person committing the crime.
If we all look away and pretend there is no crime - well then there is no crime. The person filing the report is thus responsible for “creating” the crime so to speak.

The floor above my school had a blocked pipe that was leaking into their house and their solution was to drill a hole through the floor so the water drained out…into our school. My wife went in last week to find the kitchen under 10cm of water. When we went up to talk to them about it they said, “Yeah, we drilled the hole. So what? What are you going to do about it?”

what did you do?

i guess its another problem like driving that isn’t going to be bettered for a while because its just not a problem for locals. i’m just going to start saying it looks shittier than china, hit em where it hurts.

Gahhhh. So what’s happening? Total dicks.

I would see ‘What are you going to do about it?’ as a personal challenge to extend my ‘fucking with people’ repertoire. Is there anything fun that you could burn under the hole? Perhaps get creative with seafood? :smiley:

Gahhhh. So what’s happening? Total dicks.

I would see ‘What are you going to do about it?’ as a personal challenge to extend my ‘fucking with people’ repertoire. Is there anything fun that you could burn under the hole? Perhaps get creative with seafood? :smiley:[/quote]

Can’t you just stick a sump pump on the floor, a tube through the hole, and send their water right back up there again? Maybe mix in a little milk or shrimp paste while you’re about it. :whistle:

When water is returned to its rightful place, shove some sort of bung up the hole to stop the water coming back, and fill with cement to ceiling level. Will set in about two hours.

I hate it when I’m about to make a right turn (in a car) and I’m yielding to traffic like a normal driver… then this idiot comes from behind and goes into the opposite lane and just zooms out causing more ruckus.

Or those drivers that want to make a left turn, but they jut out blocking half the lane. If you’re going to do this, just go all the way. FOCK.