Wack Things in Taiwan (part 3)

Our community has a couple of nice little garden areas, with flowers and stuff. So today a little kid - one of the residents - was peeing in one. At least he was peeing in a flower bed, not one of the vegetable plots that people have started planting.

I emailed Garmin customer service in Taiwan over 3 months ago about availability of particular watch. They just replied saying they couldn’t help me.

Kirkland beer should be back for summer beer season according to staff last time I asked.[/quote]

Beer shouldn’t have a season. What is wrong with Taiwan?[/quote]

OFF TOPIC

We were just discussing about this and one of my coworkers, who indignantly said: no way you are going to get beer in winter! I mean, who drinks that?! You go to a Chinese doctor in winter with a cold beer and see what he does!

OK…

Why e-mail Garmin when you can just look it up on PC home or just walk into a store to look or ask a sales rep?

Why e-mail Garmin when you can just look it up on PC home or just walk into a store to look or ask a sales rep?[/quote]

Because my particular question couldn’t be answered by looking at pchome or asking a sale rep.

Why e-mail Garmin when you can just look it up on PC home or just walk into a store to look or ask a sales rep?[/quote]

Problem I see is they took 3 months -the hell!- to answer an email with “we can’t”. fast and reasonable custoemr service it ain’t. I mean, at least include the addresss of your closest store/service center. I can’t believe they won’t have one of those at least per city.

Even if the email was in English -the horror, the horror!- for a company aspiring to at least have a presence in the international market, it ii quite dissapointing. Even if they do not want to conquer the world or even sell abroad, not replying to a customer’s email -in Chines eor English- promptly is not service at all.

You should be glad they answered at all. I’ve done this a couple of times over the years (with different companies) and have yet to receive any response.

So right after lunch this small army of bulky young Taiwanese men - :lovestruck: :howyoudoin: - enters carrying long, long coils of tubing and stuff. They obviously come to install whatever though our ceiling.

As the obviously leader of the gang opens the first panel -right above us-, I am regaled -aside from a clear view of his treasure trail- to his baffled expression and the words that we all mutter 60 times a day: What the &^%$#@! is this shit!@$%$#!

Not very reasurring, I am telling you.

You should be glad they answered at all. I’ve done this a couple of times over the years (with different companies) and have yet to receive any response.[/quote]

Why email them when you can just see if they have it on their website or call an authorized retail store to see if they have it in stock?

I know Garmin customer service/repair is awesome in terms of fixing units past warranty…for free.

Why not email them if they post a contact email address for sales inquiries?

By the way, I think you missed that I wrote:

Every day in our office building there is an announcement around lunch time asking for people who are interested in investments. So we pay rent to hear advertisements in our office from the newly installed intercom system.

just went on holiday and the local people seemed genuinely nice, like non judgemental.
i think taiwanese are friendly too, i’m not complaining. but alot of the time its at arms length friendliness, so i feel their reputation for friendliness is a bit over rated. ontop of that the reputation is basically self appointed… who even does that!

[quote=“RickRooney”]just went on holiday and the local people seemed genuinely nice, like non judgemental.
I think taiwanese are friendly too, I’m not complaining. but alot of the time its at arms length friendliness, so i feel their reputation for friendliness is a bit over rated. ontop of that the reputation is basically self appointed… who even does that![/quote]

In the Philippines now - can’t beat them for friendliness.

[quote=“Baas Babelaas”][quote=“RickRooney”]just went on holiday and the local people seemed genuinely nice, like non judgemental.
I think taiwanese are friendly too, I’m not complaining. but alot of the time its at arms length friendliness, so i feel their reputation for friendliness is a bit over rated. ontop of that the reputation is basically self appointed… who even does that![/quote]

In the Philippines now - can’t beat them for friendliness.[/quote]

more of e general guideline really, not a rule. edition.cnn.com/2016/06/13/asia/ … bu-sayyaf/ at least Taiwanese don’t go around kidnapping and executing foreigners…

[quote=“tmz_99”][quote=“Baas Babelaas”][quote=“RickRooney”]just went on holiday and the local people seemed genuinely nice, like non judgemental.

more of e general guideline really, not a rule. edition.CNN.com/2016/06/13/asia/ … bu-sayyaf/ at least Taiwanese don’t go around kidnapping and executing foreigners…[/quote]

Abu Sayaf is a Muslim jihad group in the Philippines trying to take over parts of it. You don’t want to go to the parts where they operate. The kidnapping you posted is Muslim related, not Filipino. Most Filipinos are not Muslim. Granted the Philippines has other crime problems that are not due to Islam, but I don’t think non-Muslim Filipinos kidnap and execute foreigners in the name of religion. Most Taiwanese are also not Muslim. If there somehow formed a jihad group in Taiwan that wanted to make Taiwan an Islamic Island, then you would see the same thing in Taiwan.

[quote=“nonredneck”][quote=“tmz_99”][quote=“Baas Babelaas”][quote=“RickRooney”]just went on holiday and the local people seemed genuinely nice, like non judgemental.

more of e general guideline really, not a rule. edition.CNN.com/2016/06/13/asia/ … bu-sayyaf/ at least Taiwanese don’t go around kidnapping and executing foreigners…[/quote]

Abu Sayaf is a Muslim jihad group in the Philippines trying to take over parts of it. You don’t want to go to the parts where they operate. The kidnapping you posted is Muslim related, not Filipino. Most Filipinos are not Muslim. Granted the Philippines has other crime problems that are not due to Islam, but I don’t think non-Muslim Filipinos kidnap and execute foreigners in the name of religion. Most Taiwanese are also not Muslim. If there somehow formed a jihad group in Taiwan that wanted to make Taiwan an Islamic Island, then you would see the same thing in Taiwan.[/quote]

LOL… I’d really like to see that… the whole idea of ‘‘Taiwanese Muslim Jihadists’’ is pretty ridiculous… a few gangster uncles would visit the island and pull their ears in :smiley: :smiley:

Just a quick follow-up on my post a few pages back about the idiots upstairs draining their water into our school: Turns out my father-in-law knows someone who knows them (he knows just about everyone there is to know from his days as a politician) and he told the friends what the neighbours did. It spread like wildfire, they lost a ton of face and fixed it up.

Losing face in Taiwan can make wonders! It’s impressive how people care much more about face than heavy fines…
:idunno:

[quote=“nonredneck”][quote=“tmz_99”][quote=“Baas Babelaas”][quote=“RickRooney”]just went on holiday and the local people seemed genuinely nice, like non judgemental.

Abu Sayaf is a Muslim jihad group in the Philippines trying to take over parts of it. You don’t want to go to the parts where they operate. The kidnapping you posted is Muslim related, not Filipino. Most Filipinos are not Muslim. Granted the Philippines has other crime problems that are not due to Islam, but I don’t think non-Muslim Filipinos kidnap and execute foreigners in the name of religion. Most Taiwanese are also not Muslim. If there somehow formed a jihad group in Taiwan that wanted to make Taiwan an Islamic Island, then you would see the same thing in Taiwan.[/quote]
True, it’s reasonable to assume the ex-cop who took a busload of foreign tourists hostage in Manila a few years ago and threatened to murder them if he didn’t get his job back :eh: was of the majority faith, and he is not known to have uttered any religious slogans when he carried out the executions, afaik.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manila_hostage_crisis

Abu Sayyaf is a kidnapping business with some latent domestic political agenda. Radical Islam is just part of their marketing. They are about jihad even less than the CCP is about communism. The people they executed were chiefly those who could not afford the ransom and/or got ill and were slowing them down when changing hideouts. Plus, they have to maintain their credibility, otherwise no-one would pay. Still, their existence has more to do with the failures of the Philippines than with any particular faith. What also helps is that the area has a rich tradition of piracy.