Wanna go left? Attempt to turn the handlebars to the right

Thanks for resurrecting this, Mordeth!

[quote=“Mordeth”][quote=“joesax”]On surfaces with limited traction it’s better to lean the bike more than you lean yourself. Think about dirt bike riders. I saw a very interesting explanation of this on a website once. Unfortunately I haven’t been able to find it again.

Also, by keeping your body fairly upright you’re better able to see what’s coming the other way when you’re on a corner.

Racers do the opposite because the bikes and tracks have loads of traction and leaning over more means you corner faster.[/quote]

I’d like it if you could find that quote. When I would ride my big bikes on gravel or snow…I’d practically hang off the bike just to do a lane change in an attempt to keep the bike upright while changing lanes. So that the tires would have the most contact with the ground…and the most traction…or so I thought.[/quote]I would love to find that page again and put it up for the merciless analytical scrutiny of Plasmatron!

But I can’t find it and Plasmatron’s alternative explanation is looking like a good contender: that you lean the bike over more to break traction while reducing the risk of a highside.
[forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.ph … 807#455807](Enduro, supermoto, hypermoto and pure dirt bikes