War Profiteers

[quote=“jdsmith”][quote=“Richardm”]I forgot what a POTUS is.

I think that’s the idea.

[Presidents of the United States] I looked it up.[/quote]

There’s a difference, in my book, between wanting to benefit from something that is going to happen anyway, and encouraging something terrible to happen so that money can be made.[/quote]

Actually, I think that’s true for the Halliburtons of this world; but I’m still convinced that the (TV) media whooped it up for the war because of their dependency on a constant supply of raw news. Not that the suits consciously sat down and decided to have a “splendid little war” (that was Rove’s job) ; just that they playrd up the more exciting angles, and those angles encourage war.

CS- ah yes, Starship Troopers- the book, not the horrible movie,

WWI: Woodrow Wilson, Democrat
WWII: FDR, Democrat
Korea: Truman, Democrat
Vietnam: JFK + LBJ, Democrats
[/quote]

Here’s something I never thought I’d write: Once again, Comrade Stalin, I find myself in total agreement with you.

When I refer to The War Party I always mean it in the more classical (ie. ye olde skool) sense of the Democratic Party. Republicans, sorry to say, are treated as second-class swine in my lexicon, they are merely The Other War Party.

If you look at the numbers I posted earlier, you’ll note that in even more recent history defense contractors have preferred giving money to Democrats (eg. during the early Clinton years). The issue of war-profiteering seems to me to be completely bi-partisan (Stand up, Mr. Cunningham.) and it’s a total shame that so few can escape their respective party perspective(s) anf engage in meaningful dialouge.

and now for something completely different –

[quote=“jdsmith”]
Anyone who owns stocks has a voice that speaks for them in government, via the company’s lobbyists.[/quote]

I get confused. Are we talking a hypothetical reality (where Iraq has WMD, Blackwell isn’t OH SOS, and markets are truly free), or are we talking about the real world where ‘shareholder democracy’ is a myth? Do you really believe that crap? Also does that statement imply that some without stock haven’t a voice in government? Serious question there.

WWI: Woodrow Wilson, Democrat
WWII: FDR, Democrat
Korea: Truman, Democrat
Vietnam: JFK + LBJ, Democrats
[/quote]

Here’s something I never thought I’d write: Once again, Comrade Stalin, I find myself in total agreement with you.

When I refer to The War Party I always mean it in the more classical (ie. ye olde skool) sense of the Democratic Party. Republicans, sorry to say, are treated as second-class swine in my lexicon, they are merely The Other War Party.

If you look at the numbers I posted earlier, you’ll note that in even more recent history defense contractors have preferred giving money to Democrats (eg. during the early Clinton years). The issue of war-profiteering seems to me to be completely bi-partisan (Stand up, Mr. Cunningham.) and it’s a total shame that so few can escape their respective party perspective(s) anf engage in meaningful dialouge.

and now for something completely different –

[quote=“jdsmith”]
Anyone who owns stocks has a voice that speaks for them in government, via the company’s lobbyists.[/quote]

I get confused. Are we talking a hypothetical reality (where Iraq has WMD, Blackwell isn’t OH SOS, and markets are truly free), or are we talking about the real world where ‘shareholder democracy’ is a myth? Do you really believe that crap? Also does that statement imply that some without stock haven’t a voice in government? Serious question there.[/quote]
I agree that war profiteering is not a single-party issue, but I don’t understand how the Democrats started the Iraq war. Unless… it was an insidious plot hatched by LBJ in the 60s. Yes. Maybe he’s not really dead. Maybe they kept his brain alive and planted it in Jimmy Carter’s head and the Republicans are just unwitting dupes to Jimmy Baines Carter’s evil plan to rule the world’s finances.

We’re through the looking glass here people.

Most of them voted for it. I think that places a fair amount of responsibility on their shoulders.

Most of them voted for it. I think that places a fair amount of responsibility on their shoulders.[/quote]
Yes, they disgust me. Disgust I say!

But on the other hand, if they didn’t vote for it, would it have made any difference?

[quote=“Richardm”]
I agree that war profiteering is not a single-party issue, but I don’t understand how the Democrats started the Iraq war. Unless… it was an insidious plot hatched by LBJ in the 60s. [/quote]

Clinton was pushing for the war throughout the late 1990s. He set the stage.

From Clinton’s address to the American people, 16 December 1998:

[quote] Earlier today, I ordered America’s armed forces to strike military and security targets in Iraq. They are joined by British forces. Their mission is to attack Iraq’s nuclear, chemical and biological weapons programs and its military capacity to threaten its neighbors.

Their purpose is to protect the national interest of the United States, and indeed the interests of people throughout the Middle East and around the world.

Saddam Hussein must not be allowed to threaten his neighbors or the world with nuclear arms, poison gas or biological weapons.[/quote]

cnn.com/ALLPOLITICS/stories/ … inton.html

From floor speech by Senator Hillary Clinton (Democrat), 10 October 2002:

clinton.senate.gov/speeches/iraq_101002.html

So why is Bush president if he never does anything? The Clintons are still in control here it seems.

Starting something 8 years ago then leaving is not the same as being in charge now.

Starting something 8 years ago then leaving is not the same as being in charge now.[/quote]
Starting something you can’t finish? Maybe Bush the first was right.

Clinton spent a lot of money lobbing tomahawks into Iraq. Someone got some profit there, I agree. It’s chump change compared to what’s going on now. That’s what I’m saying.

Starting something 8 years ago then leaving is not the same as being in charge now.[/quote]
Starting something you can’t finish? Maybe Bush the first was right.[/quote]

Bush the first was wrong in caving into the UN and the Euroweenies. We wouldn’t be where we are now if he hadn’t.

So what you’re upset about is the cost? :ponder:

A beautiful young model meets an 84 year old billionaire at a party. He gets her in the corner:

He: Tell me my dear…will you sleep with me for a million dollars?

She: Of course I will!

He: How about ten dollars?

She: No way! What do you think I am?

He: We’ve already established that…now we’re bargaining.

[quote=“Comrade Stalin”]Bush the first was wrong in caving into the UN and the Euroweenies. We wouldn’t be where we are now if he hadn’t.
[/quote]
I think we would be exactly where we are right now. Stuck in the middle of a civil war. I don’t think the administration has any desire to see it end.

Most of them voted for it. I think that places a fair amount of responsibility on their shoulders.[/quote]

But on the other hand, if they didn’t vote for it, would it have made any difference?[/quote]

I think if the Democratic leadership had been completely united in opposition to the war, it is possible they could have roused enough popular support to convince the White House to not invade. Obviously, it’s all academic at this point, but I still say the Democrats deserve near as much credit as the Republicans.

[quote=“Richardm”]Profiting from war is not in itself evil.
Profiting from war because you have connections in government is bad, but it happens, has happened, will happen again.
Manufacturing a war because you want to make a profit is very very bad.

I might write a book. I smell a Pee-You-litzer.[/quote]

I think we need desperately need lobbying reform in this country. Company A donates to Mr. Candidate to help him win the election, then Mr. Candidate becomes Mr. President, who -for whatever reason- starts a war, then awards a highly lucrative defense contract to Company A. I’m amazed this is actually legal. Even if the defense companies who donated to the campaigns were not able to directly influence the president/senators/etc. on the matter of war, a situation is still created wherein both the defense contractors and the government officials have an interest in creating war. Both want their money. I’m not saying this is necessarily an explanation for the Second Gulf War, but I am saying the relationship is inherently dangerous.

But on the other hand, if they didn’t vote for it, would it have made any difference?[/quote]

Since the Democrats ran the Senate at the time it would have made one difference: Without Democratic support there wouldn’t have been a joint resolution authorizing force. The Senate passed it with 77 votes. Twenty-three Senators (21 Dems, Chaffee-R, and Jeffords-I voted against it.) If 28 of the other 29 Democrats had voted no instead of yes, there would have been no Joint Resolution.

Read up some on the stocks owned by various Democrats and their spouses. BTW, Kerry started dumping various stocks more than a year before he got the nomination…I wonder if he’s bought any of them back?[/quote]

Nothing like be redundant? :wink: I think Richardm was saying this kind of thing is not good regardless of who is doing it. And, I for one agree.

Bodo

[quote=“Hobbes”][quote=“Richardm”]At the risk of getting back on topic, here is the senario I have.
Someone very bad does something very bad with a bunch of planes and the World Trade Centers. Then the Whitehouse goes nuts and starts saying, “Iraq?” “Did Iraq do this? Tell me Iraq did this! We need to attack Iraq.” Why would intelligent, sane, responsible individuals act in such a manner? What was their motivation? Apparently it had nothing to do with National Security.[/quote]

Interesting… :ponder:

I’ve seen you ask something to this effect a couple times, Richardm. But up to now, I’ve never thought too much about it. I always just figured it was just a cute thing to say – a clever quip – since, of course, Iraq did not “do” 9-11, and I have never seen a single person who has ever discussed the issue in these forums who thought that Iraq did.

I should probably add here that it is not necessary to post opinion polls showing that many Americans surveyed in poll XYZ did/do think that Iraq was responsible for 9-11. I’ve seen those polls. I’ve also seen the polls that show that a solid 1/4 of Americans cannot find the US on a world map. I’ve seen polls that show that majorities think that the three branches of government in the US are “Democrat, Republican, and Independent”. Even the “Sun revolves around the Earth” proposition gets a pretty good amount of support when the question is put out there in polls.

So I assume your question was why anyone who was actually intelligent —no, scratch that: let’s say someone who was engaged and paying attention— would think that Iraq caused 9-11. The answer is that nobody who was engaged and paying attention ever did think that (at least not that I ever saw). And that includes people who supported the war in Iraq.

[b]“Well then,” you may ask “why go to war in Iraq then?”

Answer: Because revenge for a past bad act is not the only (or even the best) principal on which to base a foreign policy.[/b]

Sure, immediately after 9-11 there were plenty people who just wanted to “get even with those bastards that did it.” Of course most of the people who actually did it died on the planes. Yes, you can go after Al Qaeda and the Taliban and OBL. We can argue about the extent to which that has been done. But the more important question was then, and is now: “What do we do to keep ourselves safe in the future?”

Whether invading Iraq was a good idea to keep us safe in the future is the subject of numerous threads, and it would be pointless to discuss it an umpteenth time here.

But… whether you agree with it or not making us safer in the future was motivation (or at least it was the idea for everyone I’ve ever talked to who supported the war). Nobody was talking about revenge for some past act.

Let me ask you think: If your kid gets hit with a rock at school, what do you do? Yes – you might want to get revenge on whoever did it. You might also, logically, consider the person who threw that rock to be a major threat to your kid’s safety. But if you complain about the bully who threw the rock, and that bully go into hiding, and then you see some other bully who you think might be about to throw another rock… then what?

Again, I’m not arguing about how likely it was that Iraq wwas going to be “the next kid to throw a rock.” That’s another discussion with many dedicated threads (indeed entire websites).

My point is that most of those (that I’ve either read or talked to, anyway) who supported the invasion of Iraq either (a) thought that Iraq was the next likely rock thrower, (b) thought that Iraq was the next likely rock thrower we could actually do anything to stop (invading Iran or the DPRK were then, and are now, not realistic), or (c) thought that changing Iraq’s government would be a good way to positively influence a number of potential rock-throwers in the region.

I realize that you disagree with all of those notions. That’s fine. All I’m saying is that nobody I’ve ever seen or read (once again – this doesn’t include the “Sun revolves around the Earth” poll respondents) said that the reason to invade Iraq was because Iraq was responsible for 9-11. People argued (rightly or wrongly) for going in as a way of preventing future harm, not for revenge.

For most people keeping us safe in the future was more important than “getting even” for what happened in the past. And when you say “Yes, but the action your doing has nothing to do with getting revenge”, many people will probably (as I did) assume you are just making a joke – because getting revenge is so obviously a secondary priority compared to protecting future safety. (And of course, arguing that future safety is not, in fact, enhanced by the war in Iraq hardly adds any support to the proposition that “revenge is the only good reason to go to war.”)[/quote]

Why did you bother to post? You obviously have disdain for Richardm, and the questions he is asking. Why not start your own thread? Or post on a thread that you have some interest in. You obviously think this thread is a waste of time. Don’t get it . . . :unamused:

Bodo

Haha, this house is fun. Euroweenies? who siad that?

[quote=“Comrade Stalin”][quote=“Richardm”]
I agree that war profiteering is not a single-party issue, but I don’t understand how the Democrats started the Iraq war. Unless… it was an insidious plot hatched by LBJ in the 60s. [/quote]

Clinton was pushing for the war throughout the late 1990s. He set the stage.

From Clinton’s address to the American people, 16 December 1998:

[quote] Earlier today, I ordered America’s armed forces to strike military and security targets in Iraq. They are joined by British forces. Their mission is to attack Iraq’s nuclear, chemical and biological weapons programs and its military capacity to threaten its neighbors.

Their purpose is to protect the national interest of the United States, and indeed the interests of people throughout the Middle East and around the world.

Saddam Hussein must not be allowed to threaten his neighbors or the world with nuclear arms, poison gas or biological weapons.[/quote]

CNN.com/ALLPOLITICS/stories/ … inton.html

From floor speech by Senator Hillary Clinton (Democrat), 10 October 2002:

Clinton.senate.gov/speeches/iraq_101002.html[/quote]

CS, I wish you right wing nutters :wink: would decide which it is: Clinton set the stage for the 9/11 tragedy because he wouldn’t go to war, wouldn’t take the Al Qaida threat seriously, etc. OR Clinton set the stage for the Iraq war . . . per your post. :slight_smile:

Bodo

Clinton was more protectionist then Robertson at the time…seems silly, but remember another Philosophy…The best defense is…no thats not the one…Bill who? Hasn’t this shit been going on since long before the Crusades?

I got your Allah right here.

Chou

The most powerful organized force pushing the Bush administration towards armed confrontation with Iran is AIPAC, not defense industry lobbies. This was also the case with Iraq and armed confrontation with Saddam Hussein.

It’s no small matter that Vice President Dick Cheney chose the annual meeting of AIPAC to make his starkest threat towards Iran and its nuclear fuel cycle development program to date:

"Vice President Cheney threatened Iran today with “meaningful consequences” if it fails to cooperate with international efforts to curb its nuclear program.

“For our part, the United States is keeping all options on the table in addressing the irresponsible conduct of the regime,” Cheney said in a speech to the pro-Israel lobby group, the American Israel Public Affairs Committee.

“And we join other nations in sending that regime a clear message: We will not allow Iran to have a nuclear weapon.”
Washington Post