Washing machine at night

I’ve been living in this apartment for 8 months. I usually do laundry at night, starting at around 8pm usually but sometimes later. I didn’t realize this was a problem because I’ve never heard other people’s machines even though I’m home most of the time due to working remote, I’d never received a complaint about it in 8 months, and I hardly hear my own machine when I’m in a different room, so figured it was ok.

However, an angry note was recently posted on the door saying “don’t use washing machine after midnight, it’s annoying” (neighbor knows we don’t speak Chinese) and got a polite message from landlord about it. I have not done laundry since the note. However, today (5 days since first warning) I got a message from the landlord warning that if I do laundry at night again, I’ll have to move out. I don’t know if it’s an extended warning from the first one, or if he thinks I’m still doing laundry at night. So far I’m just collecting evidence to show that I’m not doing laundry at night, filming my washing machine all night, recording the mechanical hum I think they’re mistaking as my washing machine etc.

My partner thinks we should just move because this neighbor has been complaining about noise since the second day of us living here. But I think we should just ride it out since we only have 4 months left. Should we just move?

1 Like

Talk to the landlord about it face-to-face. Otherwise, I’d say ride it out. Twattish neighbours are unfortunately common, no need to move because of them if you are being reasonable.

What happens in four months, you move out to a new place anyway?

3 Likes

There is an occassion you have to take the bull by the horn.
I don’t really know my neighbors. Don’t even say hi when seeing them.
After 3 years living here, suddenly one day, at least a person smoked so bad that left bad smell in the corridor.
My room being the entry of the corridor, having the strongest odor.
Then, I had text message from landlord saying, “Don’t smoke in the room.” (In Chinese), allegedly to everyone, but cannot be certain, likely only to me.
I immediately reply, “I do not smoke, but I know it is weird, my room smells the worst from the smoke.”
Landlord reply, “yeah, probably because your door in the entry of the corridor”.
Several days later, still strong aroma exist.
It got stopped after building management putting a lot of warnings everywhere. (Not sure whether someone kicked out also).

1 Like

Is your washing machine on the ground directly?

1 Like

A good consideration but I don’t think it matters where it is, if it’s not being used at the times of the complaints.

1 Like

Just dont do it after 9 and then carry on as normal.

No need to move out early. Are you planning to move house at the end of the contract?

3 Likes

This

Then make sure you do all your washing the night before you move so you have nice clean clothes in your new place :wink:

3 Likes

It does though. Lifting a device off the ground can significantly reduce noise. Padding, carpeting, rubber feet insulation can reduce noise even further.

1 Like

How can it reduce the sound of something thats not being used at that time?

OP says he does laundry at night. Vibrations can reverberate through the building structure. Lifting it can help reduce noise when in use. It’s no risk.

1 Like

did you read it fully?

Yes. Because now the neighbour is sensitive and intent to blame everything they hear on the OP

But this is a zero risk thing they can do to reduce all the noise they make. At any time. Are they planning to never use the machine again?

They just use it in the daytime like other people, as I said originally it’s a good idea but I don’t think this is really the problem. I will quote again but will had a little bold.

I dont need the bolding. Thank you. I am aware what was said.

All of this (collecting “evidence” and considering moving) sounds excessive to me — suggest just not starting the washing machine after 8–9pm or whatever.

The thing should be easily solved by saying to your neighbor and landlord “sorry, I didn’t realize it was disturbing you, I won’t use the washing machine after 10pm” then avoiding doing so. If you work at home, it shouldn’t be too difficult to use the washing machine at a different time.

My situation is similar actually — my downstairs neighbor apparently thinks I’m too noisy since I’m often up at night. I try not to do anything too loud (usually I’m just working or watching something on my computer, plus the normal noises people make while they’re awake), but a couple of times he’s written to me on Line asking me to go to bed earlier.

I’ve just ignored these messages because I think from past experience with him that he’s just trying to cause problems. My landlady agrees — he was complaining for like 2+ years about water leaking into his apartment, which we had workmen over for many times. Eventually someone from the police association or something, who happens to be responsible for the building, had to go talk with him.

Anyway, I don’t use the washing machine after midnight, and I’ve always avoided that since I moved in. I can definitely hear the neighbors’ washing machines when they use them, so I can believe it would be annoying to people wanting to sleep. Easy fix here — you don’t need to look into moving out or film your washing machine all night.

And if your landlord tries to kick you out for not using your washing machine at night, you can fight that too. Overall, no need to turn it into a big deal.

1 Like

Book a mariachi band for 3 am in the morning. Just for fun.

5 Likes

Some good advice has already been shared on resolving the issue, but because this is in the lgal forum I’ll provide: you cannot be legally evicted just for running your washing machine at night. You should probably try and amicably resolve the issue, but legally you can also tell them to pound sand.

1 Like

What’s all this about apologies and filming? Can this not all be sorted with some alcohol, and maybe a few arm wrestles?

2 Likes

I’ll be moving back to my home country in four months, so I think moving out is more work than it’s worth. But my partner thinks the anxiety of whispering and tiptoeing around the house is not worth it (they’ve also complained about us singing, talking, laughing, walking etc.)

The machine has these tiny little legs or pads or something. But I have not used the machine since the first warning.