Water Quality

I remember reading here about 10 years ago about heavy metals in the water. The poster had done a bit of research and as a result, I have never drank it. I don’t cook with it either.

The filter pores need to be very small to remove bacteria, I don’t believe common household filters can do that, that’s why you still need to boil the water. Besides the filters may also wear out or be defective. Heavy metals or dioxins would be the thing to worry about.

Edit- it seems reverse osmosis does a pretty good job but not completely reliable in removing bacteria and viruses.

watertestingblog.com/2010/03/31/ … ologicals/

People drink heavy metals, but they don’t listen or play heavy metal…

There have been two conflicting news stories recently. One claims that Taiwan’ tap water meets WHO standards:
taipeitimes.com/News/taiwan/ … 2003529648

The other claims that there are problems at some reservoirs:
taipeitimes.com/News/taiwan/ … 2003529481

I guess that means we’ll continue to filter then boil. Seems an awful waste of energy to me.

I just buy bottled water which I tested as ok

Thread bump. My bath water has gone yellow. Have run a couple of tubs. Any suggestions?

2 Likes

Check your water tank. If body is found call 110 or 119 to report it.

Sometimes if someone has a sink full of dirty water and then a hose is supplying water directly into the sink, sometimes the siphon will suck the dirty water up into the pipe and into your sink!

If there is a recent construction, let the water run a bit for all the crap to come out.

Or some other causes…

A few suggestions:

1. Avoid taking baths for the time being.
  2. Maybe just shower to avoid prolonged exposure.
  3. Find out the cause of the problem and rectify, I’d possible.

Call your landlord. You’re not in Calcutta.

Dude upstairs is mad, like as in random shouting in the middle of the night and weird notes on everyones’ doors mad. So have to let sleeping dogs lie, really don’t want to go up there unless basically a tsunami hits Taiwan and our place

Last time it happened I ran it for a few hours and it sorted itself out. That time I suspected construction as they impromptu shut off the water for a couple of hours. However there is always recent construction here, so hard to pin it down.

Had a look at shower filters, they’re bullshit right? Can’t see a single reputable water filtration brand among them. I’d say the flow rate makes it impossible to do properly. Vitamin C filtration oh please!

Nobody in their right mind would ever drink tap water in Taiwan.
Everyday when I brush my teeth, I use the tap water to rinse out
my mouth, gargle, and spit it out. The taste of that water is awful!

There is something in the tap water that makes it taste that way,
even the water in Canada tastes better than that (particularly in
the great lakes region).

What concerns me are the carcinogens in the water. I was in
South Korea when I was diagnosed with Hodgkins Lymphoma
and I don’t want to have to go through that again. I may have
changed my diet after I got cancer, but after returning to Taiwan
in 2019, I really do not want to risk getting cancer again because
of the quality of the tap water in Taiwan.

1 Like

Good to hear you beat it. Were you treated in South Korea?

Glad you beat that illness.

Standard under sink carbon from a reputable manufacturer does me well for drinking and cooking.

They have a new range of filters now that get rid of the pharmaceauticals and antibiotics which are making their way into the water supply. Agrochemical runoff and the like. However last time I looked these filters are significantly most costly and last much less time than the standard carbon.

Yes. I got chemotherapy in Korea, but after I returned to Canada I got radiotherapy.

I’m pretty sure the water for my apartment building in Banqiao comes from some underground stream/puddle and not piped in. The other week when there was the big water pipe break in Banqiao I went downstairs to check the water pump to see if it was turned off. (last time the water was turned off for the building no one turned off the pump and it ruined the pump so we had to get a new one)

Anyways, as I was looking at the pump I noticed it just sits on two metal slabs above a hole. I peeked through a crack between the slabs and saw there was water. The water was clear, and I couldn’t see anything in it, but I also couldn’t see very much. There are two pipes for the pump one goes into this hole and the other goes into the wall and I assume up to the tanks up on the roof.

For the pipe that goes down into the hole, it’s possible that it connects to the city water and I didn’t see it through the crack. I’m going to assume the worse though and that it is just sucking up the water in the hole.

I would love to get a better look at it, but the metal slabs are heavy and I don’t want the other people in the building wondering what I am doing.

Some buildings have two reservoirs, one to collect the water in the basement and than pump it up to the tank on the roof.

Is the one in the basement supposed to be just a hole in the ground or more like the tanks that are on the roof? It looked like there were rocks in it, but couldn’t see that well. I’ll try to look again and get some pictures.

The pressure and volume on the water main is not enough to reach the top tanks on high buildings, so there to will be a reservoir to collect enough water to buffer.

It looks like the issue was widespread: 4.5 million customers were affected. They will receive reduced water bills (10 days free).

2 Likes

Hey thanks very much for posting that, so much of this stuff just passes me by. It was still yellow last night when I checked, although maybe not as yellow.