Water rationing 2015 (Water outages imminent in New Taipei, Taoyuan)

unfortunately today’s rain is just a small storm cell passing through northern Taipei. In addition to that it has only dropped 20mm’s of rain in a couple of places. To be anything significant there needs to be 50-100 mm’s of rain spread across most of the island and even that is small when it comes to filling a reservoir. A lot of that rain soaks in and fills up the water holes in the reservoir tributaries.

I believe taiwan really depends on a typhoon or two to make up water deficits ie we are screwed until that happens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

[quote=“headhonchoII”]I believe taiwan really depends on a typhoon or two to make up water deficits ie we are screwed until that happens.
[/quote]

But then we’ll be getting screwed by the typhoon itself.

:ponder:

The eponymous Taipei City Government! I don’t know how much the Taipei and New Taipei systems are connected.

In the end, Taiwan has always needed the water from the typhoons.

Better than nothing.

As said before, Taiwan with a humidity of over 90% at times can just suck the water out of the air … even using catching nets that aggregate water droplets. I’ve seen them being used in a documentary, somewhere in South America I believe.

or do it old school with trees…

Better than nothing.[/quote]

In the end it is basically nothing since the reservoirs (AFAIK) are nowhere close to the rain.

In a typical year the plum rains drop 200-300 mm’s of rain (everywhere on the island) just in May. if that happens like usual then the immediate water shortage is over. A couple of typhoons are needed to start filling up the reservoirs so we don’t have a problem next winter though.

According to the map on the Taiwan Weather Bureau site, it’s raining also in Taoyuan and around, and it’ll be raining also during the next two days. How much is it raining now there? I don’t know, but I feel like to go to take a look at the Shime water reservoir the next weekend.

less than 10mm for the last 6 hours.

You can follow the reservoir situation at water.taiwanstat.com/ It shows each one with a % of how full it is. At the moment it’s mostly showing the situation at 6pm last night in the north (earlier elsewhere), so is easy to track before the rain and after.

EDIT: oups.

Ranking Rainfall(mm) Station Name Location
DataTime:03/23 13:40
1 53.5 Sanhe Jinshan District, New Taipei City
2 45.5 Daping Wanli District, New Taipei City
3 42.5 Wuzhishan Xizhi District, New Taipei City
4 42.0 YUAN SHAN ZI Ruifang District, New Taipei City
5 42.0 Jinshan Jinshan District, New Taipei City
6 39.0 Keelung Keelung City
7 37.0 Anbu Yangmingshan, Taipei City
8 35.5 Wugu Wugu District, New Taipei City
9 35.0 FU XING GUO XIAO Qidu District, Keelung City
10 35.0 Sanzhi Sanzhi District, New Taipei City

[quote=“Ibis2k12”]Ranking Rainfall(mm) Station Name Location
DataTime:03/23 13:40
1 53.5 Sanhe Jinshan District, New Taipei City
2 45.5 Daping Wanli District, New Taipei City
3 42.5 Wuzhishan Xizhi District, New Taipei City
4 42.0 YUAN SHAN ZI Ruifang District, New Taipei City
5 42.0 Jinshan Jinshan District, New Taipei City
6 39.0 Keelung (Jilong) Keelung (Jilong) City
7 37.0 Anbu Yangming Shan, Taipei City
8 35.5 Wugu Wugu District, New Taipei City
9 35.0 Fuxing GUO XIAO Qidu District, Keelung (Jilong) City
10 35.0 Sanzhi Sanzhi District, New Taipei City[/quote]

Basically much of that doesn’t help as it flows off to sea … rain near catching areas is important.

It’s getting better, slowly, but better. We have two more days and three nights like these :slight_smile:

Cool stuff. Surprised that Sun Moon Lake is so full still.

Cool stuff. Surprised that Sun Moon Lake is so full still.[/quote]
It seems that the data is refreshed at 00:00 AM. I’m curious about how much the numbers for the dams in the north are going to grow

Cool stuff. Surprised that Sun Moon Lake is so full still.[/quote]
It seems that the data is refreshed at 00:00 AM. I’m curious about how much the numbers for the dams in the north are going to grow[/quote]

I will check that site after the next major typhoon. That’ll be interesting to see.

Guys, you have to remember: we practically had no major typhoons last year and we had a dry winter. It could be worse.

Any idea what the typhoon grass said for this year?