WCIF a "Buffalo Wing" place in Taipei?

I have a client who visits Taipei regularly and asked if I might recommend a bar/restaurant that serves good ‘Buffalo Wings’ in their joint.

He has eaten the real deal in Buffalo, New York and other places so he knows what they actually taste like, and would like to find a good place in Taipei.

Thanks.

Hoop times are 1 o’clock, 8 pm, and 10:30.

Buffalo(e)s don’t have wings … :doh:

On Tap near Sun Yat Sen has buffalo wings if i recall correctly.

Yeah, Hooters has the best wings in town.

My wife really likes wings. I wonder if I tell her this, she’ll let me go there.

Thanks for the On Tap recommendation. Any address on that?

Hooters, eh? I’ll pass that along also. Is there more than one in Taipei?

On Tap Bar and Sports Lounge
(02) 2741-5365
49, Lane 308, GuangFu S Rd

When you’re walking down lane 308 look for the the sign that looks like a London Underground sign. Its about 3 stories up on the left.

[quote=“TainanCowboy”]I have a client who visits Taipei regularly and asked if I might recommend a bar/restaurant that serves good ‘Buffalo Wings’ in their joint.

He has eaten the real deal in Buffalo, New York and other places so he knows what they actually taste like, and would like to find a good place in Taipei.

Thanks.[/quote]

There’s only one Hooters that I can recall. Besides, if he has eaten the “real deal”, anything outside of the States is like eating Chinese food in the States. Authenticity is elusive.

Taipei used to have a nice pair of Hooters, but now there is only one.

Thanks for your help with this.
I forwarded the On Tap address info.

He is aware of the ‘Taiwan’ tendencies in cooking western dishes. He also will try the Hooters version. He has eaten at Hooters in the USA.

We discussed the way different places try to personalize their wings. He does not expect them Taiwan versions to be the same as the Buffalo Wings he remembers.
Thanks to those who helped.
If an other places come to mind please let me know with a name and address. I’ll forward the info onward.
Thanks.

[quote=“petrarch1603”]On Tap Bar and Sports Lounge
(02) 2741-5365
49, Lane 308, GuangFu S Rd

When you’re walking down lane 308 look for the the sign that looks like a London Underground sign. Its about 3 stories up on the left.[/quote]

My Other Place on Fu Xing north road
Any of the TGI Fridays
Carnegies

They all serve Buffallo-style wings. Don’t know how authentic they are though, since I’ve never been to Buffallo. But you’re free to test-drive them before your friend comes in town. When I’ve gone, they’ve always tasted tangy-spicy.

Thanks Wacow!

I can’t believe none you actually know where the best place really is.

[quote]Some people take pride in discovering a new restaurant and passing it on by word of mouth and in the process making the place their own.

A few years ago I made such a discovery, Win House: The Buffalo Wings Expert. More food stand than restaurant, it was nestled between two clothing stores across the street from Yongkang Park (永康公園) and served the best buffalo wings I’d ever had in Taiwan.

Then, almost as soon as it opened, the place closed. Fortunately, Win House (贏家) reopened six months ago in a somewhat expanded location in the same area across the street from Mister Donut, just off Xinyi Road.

What went wrong the first time? Owner Jason Su (蘇宏卓) gave me the skinny: the popularity of his other restaurant meant he didn’t have time to attend to his burgeoning buffalo wings business.

Su does his buffalo wings old style. No sacrilegious breading here, just a proper interpretation of marinade and carefully timed deep-frying.

Win House (贏家): The Buffalo Wings Expert
Address: 186, Xinyi Rd Sec 2, Taipei City (台北市信義路二段186號)
Telephone: (02) 2395-4849
Open: Daily, 11:30am to 10pm
Average meal: NT$150
Details: Chinese and English menu; credit cards not accepted
Old standards such as buffalo hot, which come in mild, medium and hot, and the slightly sweet Moroccan hot, which also come in mild, medium and hot, appear alongside honey mustard, smoky and spicy honey mustard. For local palettes, Su added Taiwanese-style hot buffalo wings.

The buffalo hot was, well, just that: hot. I went for dala, or big spicy (大辣). The vinegar and cayenne flavor crept up and remained pungent long after the juicy and surprisingly un-greasy wings were devoured.

The four-piece chicken wings portion (NT$60) is a little expensive so it’s better to order the 10-piece portion (NT$140) as there’s a buy-10-get-two-free special. Another NT$60 will get you crudites (carrot and celery with a side of ranch dressing or any of the sauces applied to the wings) and French fries. Buy 100 wings (NT$1,150) and get 20 free.

The flour tortillas — vegetable and chicken (NT$60), meat sauce (NT$65) and chicken with meat sauce (NT$70) — are also recommended.

Win House comes in for two small criticisms. Four low-cut stools at the front of the store provide the only seating, so the menu is essentially for takeout. Secondly, and perhaps more distressing for veteran buffalo wing lovers, there is no blue cheese dressing on the menu. But Su said he will try to remedy this in the future. — NOAH BUCHAN[/quote]

This place is awesome.
They have like 9 different flavors.
But it isn’t a sit-down restaurant.

Sadly, I believe that Win House has closed down (again). It hasn’t been open for the last month or so, and there was a “for rent” sign on the shuttered red door.

Interestingly, the Mister Donut across the street also has closed down. It has been completely gutted. Don’t know what will go in that space next.

Must be some bad fengshui on that corner–or maybe just astronomically expensive rents on Yongkang Jie.

Well that friggin’ sucks. :thumbsdown:
I used to go there quite regularly, but hadn’t been for about the last 2 months.
Hope they get up and running again somewhere.
3rd time’s a charm, or so they say.

You may not like the answer but T.G.I. Friday’s is the closest I have found on the island to the original (Hint: always ask for extra sauce on the side). I haven’t sampled Hooter’s or practically any other place’s in a while though. Interestingly Dominoes Pizza makes a pretty good version.

Bongos does a 15nt wing night on either Weds or Thurs.
I can’t remember which.
And I’m not sure how good they are, since I’ve never had them.
Maybe I’ll go for a pile next week.

On Tap has Wing Night every Thursday. Wings $10 each all night, with 5 sauces to choose from - Texas BBQ, Lemon Mustard, Thai Chili, French Blue Cheese & Zesty Honey Chili