WCIF lunchmeat (besides pork/ham)

I know of three places actually, but it’d be great to find more.

CitySuper has pre-packaged sliced turkey in their deli, but you only get 5 slices and it’s not cheap

Jasons Market also has sliced turkey, also in the deli, even though it’s prepackaged. Get there after the deli counter closes (not sure what time that is?) and you can’t buy it

Don Don Donki has sliced packaged chicken which is pretty good. But there’s only one location so ugh

Carrefour, PXMart, and any others I’ve tried just have ham. (Taiwanese eat so much pork! Not healthy…)

1 Like

The Carrefour in Tianmu (beside Zhishan MRT station) also has deli meats. Several varieties of ham, salami, pepper beef. Maybe turkey? I forget.

Costco has, or used to have, the best deli-sliced ham I’ve seen available here. But I haven’t seen it my past couple of visits.

One thread about this is below; there are others:

2 Likes

Specifically looking for turkey or chicken. No ham, salami, pastrami, etc

Have you seen Costco’s cooked turkey breasts

1 Like

Vanishingly rare. I don’t think I’ve ever seen chicken for lunchmeat here. I’d be looking into cooking chicken at home on the weekends and putting it in the freezer to pull out for sandwiches.

But I’m curious about the turkey breasts @tempogain just suggested. I’ve never tried those. I guess you could slice it before freezing?

I haven’t. I don’t have a Costco card. Might be worth getting tho

It’s strange there’s not chicken lunchmeat here (lack of turkey I can understand)

It’s not a big lunchmeat culture :slight_smile:

1 Like

You can make your own, you know. I’ve done it a few times (although I’m not really a fan - I prefer pork products). Make a standard brine (20g salt per kg of meat would be about right for chicken). Add whatever flavourings you want, eg., a dash of brown sugar and plenty of fresh-ground pepper. Crushed garlic is good if you like garlic. Immerse a whole chicken breast portion for 24 hours. Bake it in a dutch oven or similar. Chill and slice.

3 Likes

Just pick up a cooked chicken breast from 7/11 and slice it yourself, probably not as processed as pre sliced.

4 Likes

I just did this – it doesn’t really taste like chicken haha. Tastes a lot more artificial than an any lunchmeat.
But good idea overall - I’ll try FamilyMart’s

Lunchmeat is not cheap in Taiwan. If you want cheap it would be lunch boxes.

I think they have a few flavours you can try.
If you done want to eat pork, have a look in the vegetarian section in PX mart etc, they have some alternatives there.

some don’t have much flavour but I like them fried in garlic butter like a spam fritter.

they look a bit like the screen shots below.

If you see the factories at the beginnkng stages of processing those you might not like it that much. They are the same as spam, whch is common here.

I am all for reusing and reducing waste, so chicken nuggets, sausages, weiners etc i do respect because they reusue the throw away animal parts rather than making pet food.

I would suggest using the above mentioned methods of buying whole meat and have a sharp knife to slice. You know what your eating and far less preservatives and such. Minimally more work, like 5 seconds. Much tastier as well.

Back in the old country we have chicken sausages, chicken burgers, sliced chicken… Delicious, practical, good to have in the fridge for snacks or even full meals.

For the love of dog, do not try the sliced chicken here. Yucky.