We have karma!

Is it possible to get a peek at the ‘transaction’ details of our karma ‘bank account’?

I ask as someone was kind enough to donate me some, (thanks!) and I’m interested to know who my benefactor was without using bandwidth or embarassing the donor…

I tried donating Karma to myself and it doesn’t work. Us selfish people need something too.

I just noticed that my “karma” is now “0”. Is there anyway to find out who took it and/or why? The only thing I’ve posted recently even remotely controversial concerned a “moderator”. :?

Wasn’t me and I don’t know how to check Karma records either. I’ll check it out and get back to you.

It was me. I wiped out all your Karma. I’ve been planning to do this for some time. Your comments today about the moderating on this forum reminded me you are on my to-do list.

I’m baffled why you hang around here because you seem so bothered by the way things are run at Segue. To be completely forthright, I was actually going to hit the Red Card. But that would require a back-and-forth with the whole team that I don’t have the patience for today.

I guess I should have posted this when I wiped out your Karma. Sure enough, one of the moderators asked about it. I apologize to the whole team@segue for not explaining in advance why I wiped you out.

I didn’t bother explaining in the first place becuase I really didn’t think you’d care anyway. After all, Karma is supposed to reflect a measure of value – and in my opinion, your posts have had little value to offer (granted, I didn’t look very hard for any ‘valuable’ posts)

So I cleared your Karma, and I plead Executive Privilege.

Over time, I’ll post up a step-by-step build-your-own-Taiwan-oriented website How-To somewhere (in case you might need any help, but I won’t hold my breath). Then you can zero my Karma on your forum.

Some members are giving their Karma away as a protest.

How did the old star system work - I never rated anyone and didn’t allow myself to be rated. Could a member re-aling his vote on another member ? Should it be re-introduced ? Can Karma addition and subtraction be traced ?

Well, we did vote on this a while ago:

http://segue.com.tw/viewtopic.php?t=4968&highlight=ranking

But Gus just ignored what the Segue members wanted and did his own karma thing. I think the karma thing is OK, but vastly inferior to the older system, which was at least democratic. We also had a vote on whether it was right to ban JGeer. But gus hijacked the voting and changed the poll questions because (presumably) he didn’t like the results of the poll.
I really don’t see the point of enabling voting on threads if nobody is going to respect (let alone act on) what members say through those polls. At least I have the satisfaction of knowing that when my karma gets canceled for posting this, it’ll only be a few points.

Nor do I see the point of having Karma or donating it. Does it really matter if someone zaps your karma if it’s just a meaningless number?

I suspect it only means something to those who control it and have a need to exert “power” over others.

monkey, you claim I “ignored” the vote of what members “wanted” in the ranking system. This is not so – ‘what members want’ according to that poll: a system where they can vote who are the ‘best’ and ‘worst’ member – IS NOT AVAILABLE. The star system that was mentioned was for an entirely different platform (the Ultimate Bulletin Board used on ORIENTED .org). I recall inviting anyone to direct me to a modification of phpBB which will allow it.

I was actually happy to find the Karma system, because it is ‘something’ in the right direction – although it obviously falls far short.

You accuse me of changing the question in your poll to suit my own ends. This is false. Yes, I did change the question – because I agreed to remove the name of the person the topic was about (JGeer). But your poll would not have been meaningful if I didn’t change the question.

I did not ‘hijack’ your poll – although you could say I hijacked your thread (and again this was because I was asked to by JGeer). I took great care to respect the choices of those who had casted votes. At that time, most of the people who voted were against my decision to ban the JGeer.

I’m with you, Soddom. Karma is meaningless. It’s been argued that like the ranking system that comes with phpBB, it only measures posting quantity. I’ll keep looking out for a topic voting mechanism that measures “quality” (but y’all can help by pointing the way – I’ve searched www.phpbbhacks.com)

That said, I suppose having low Karma doesn’t mean much, but having high Karma (for anyone who is not a moderator or an administrator, that is) should mean something – clearly someone likes them.

Now, imagine if I had banned hot_dini as I originally wished. How “power” crazed would I seem then?

I am unaware of a star-system like what was once used in the old ORIENTED Ubb forum. Discussions I have seen on www.phpbb.com argue that such a system has drawbacks. What more forum admins seem to aim for (the Forum Ranking Holy Grail, I suppose) is a system where topics can be ranked. THere was one under development that was abandoned when phpBB hit Version 2 (the way posts are done was completely re-written, apparently) but others should pick up and move development forward (when? who knows? :frowning:)

I’m open to improving these forums – so if anyone should come across a ‘better’ ranking modification – or ANY modification for that matter – please suggest it in the Feedback forum.

Karma addition and substraction cannot be traced becuase this information is not stored in the database. When I set up the Karma system, I manually created new fields – I don’t recall any field about “who.” (I suppose I could check – but is it really that important? Anyone can check by finding the Karma hack in one of the two phpbb source sites I mentioned above. If you discover otherwise, let me know)

I think the main problem some people have with Karma is that mods can adjust it. What about disabling that ? I personally don’t think it’s such a big deal - it is easy to tell the quality of members’ posts by actually reading them.

This website uses php and has members’ stars

community.taipeilife.com/viewtopic.php?t=70

dunno how it works though.

One fish for ten posts, 2 for twenty. three for thirty… up to a max of 5 fishies.

We can associate images with ranks, too. But this is a ranking function (quantity), not a quality rating

I agree.

And really, I don’t care if some people here think I’m not nice.

I think the Karma idea is potentially a good one, but I have a suggestion for how it could be better.

It seems a little unfair that in order to give someone Karma, you have to deplete your own. In the real world :wink: if you do something nice (like giving someone karma) you get karma, you don’t lose it. So I thought maybe give everyone a certain amount automatically each week that they can give to others. Then I realised that some pathetic individuals might open multiple accounts to take advantage of this. So a better idea would be for every karma point you have or earn, you get one karma point which doesn’t go to you - you can only give it away.

How does that sound?

Brian

How the heck did u get so much karma, Don? You got friends in high places or what? :slight_smile:

I think people with a low karma/post ratio have the most ‘real’ karma as it shows they gave it all away instead of jealously hoarding it like me.

Well, as in ‘reality’, if you earn karma in a previous life, you inherit it in your next reincarnation. :smiley:

I agree.

And really, I don’t care if some people here think I’m not nice.[/quote]

Come on, under all that bravado you’re just a big pussy cat. :wink:
Everyone here probably thinks you’re really neat :wink:

The great thing about Tigerman is that he is like a dog on a postal worker, he doesn’t let go until he has ripped your leg off. :wink:

Donald, I just wanted to point out a potential problem with this.

Your second solution still suffers from the same problem as the first solution. Someone who posts a lot can open a “dummy” account, transfer all karma that is designated for giving away to the dummy account, and then transfer it back from the dummy acount to the primary account.

But you wouldn’t know anything about having more than one account, would you? :wink: