Weed (Cannabis) - Addictiveness, Health Effects

I’m seriously considering setting up shop down there, at least something that will require spending a good sum of my remaining life there.

1 Like

I’ve seen people with terminal cancer. Some of them had hated the idea of smoking weed. The hippy drug. Ruination of society and all that. Then they started chemo. They tell their doctors or nurses “I’m having trouble eating and keeping food down.” So those doctors or nurses quietly recommended they try smoking weed. Most don’t like the smell. They are usually elderly women to be quite honest. Or the wives of the cancer patient because their husband won’t tell the doctor what’s really happening in chemo.

Weed gives these people their lives back. And they usually prefer edibles rather than smoking it. They’re no longer dying of cancer but living with cancer. They’re eating which means they have the energy to get up and do things. They suddenly feel young again because of the rush of dopamine they’re getting. With edibles their cancer pain is pretty much all gone. And they appreciate things, like family meals and get togethers, in a way they haven’t for done for years.

The pharmaceutical studies on psychosis connected to marijuana use were all discredited. They were based on the GSK thc pill. I could go into detail but there’s no point as most don’t want to believe what happened. People died because of those experiments. Some became brain dead. Several others jumped off roofs. GSK tried to cover up those experiments but were eventually found out. The modified drug they were using was a combination of synthetics and stripped down chemical variants derived from the marijuana plant.

Does marijuana cause psychosis? Possibly. Unfortunately there are too many underlying factors that need to be taken into consideration. Things like physical and psychological abuse during a persons formative years. Sexual abuse pretty much at any age.

Most people that have smoked marijuana on an at least regular basis at some point in their lives would know if they like it or if they get stoned and paranoid. And even that paranoia can be as a result of a fear of authorities rather than as a consequence of being stoned. In other words the fear of being caught stoned far outweighs the pleasure of being stoned. The people that don’t care about getting caught or that others know they’re stoned are far less likely to have a negative experience.

The other argument that is thrown around is that marijuana is the gateway drug to (eventually) heroin. That has also been thoroughly discredited. The real gateway drug is alcohol. Alcohol causes far greater damage, in terms of destruction, hospitalizations, mental health, loss of productivity and so on, than marijuana could even try to come close to. But the worst thing about alcohol is it seems to encourage people to follow through with really really stupid ideas.

Being here in Taiwan I can honestly say I miss having access to marijuana. I’m old. I have underlying health conditions. Instead of making edibles I’m required to take a variety of drugs and medications to keep me relatively stable. The government and senior health opposition to marijuana makes Taiwan feel like a hardcore religious Mormon like State. Which is funny as the oldest recorded use of marijuana in a societal setting comes from pottery found in Taiwan dating back about 5300 years ago.

8 Likes

Couldn’t agree more. If you have terminal or life threatening conditions, try everything!

What I don’t like is reading that Whoopi Goldberg smokes weed because she has itchy eyes. That’s absolute horse shit. Buy your weed and smoke it as an addict. Don’t make out you are high for medicinal reasons.

1 Like

My plantar fasciitis is acting up. I’m going downstairs.

1 Like

Like smokers do with their tobacco and alcoholics do with their booze. Sure. Don’t forget that a lot of heroin addicts today were first introduced to the drug by their doctors.

You can’t get medically prescribed cigarettes or vodka.

That’s a whole different problem and a very nasty one at that. Opioids too. What a nightmare it must be for the addict. I have lots of compassion for people who are addicted to substances. I don’t have much compassion for people who just wanna get stoned but claim it’s for health reasons.

Doctors used to prescribe cigarettes to help clear your lungs. Marijuana used to be legal to buy over the counter. Times and rules change. If they didn’t we’d still be living in caves hunting animals with stone axes.

I don’t have much compassion for alcoholics that make up any number of excuses for why they want to get plastered.

1 Like

When??? I mean Freud prescribed himself cocaine, but that is kind of meaningless to the present discussion, inn’t?

Then you don’t have any idea when addiction does to a person. But, at last you’re judgy!

2 Likes

When for the cigarettes? Right through to the 1960s.

As for my statement on alcoholics I was just using his logic in regards to his statement for people getting stoned. As many a police officer has told me they’d rather deal with a stoner with the munchies than an alcoholic having a psychotic meltdown. Bouncers know how to deal with alcoholics that try to cause trouble because they have experience.

I honestly don’t see the difference between someone wanting to drink alcohol and someone wanting to smoke a joint. It’s their own personal choice. So long as it doesn’t impact on others and they have their substance of choice under control then there’s usually very little to worry about. Gambling causes more problems than marijuana. Super king sounds like they don’t even have a basic knowledge of the medicinal uses for weed. All the way down to analgesic gels and creams.

I’m going out on a limb and say he does. :smoker:

1 Like

So he should buy his booze and drink it like an addict. Same logic applies. Alcohol causes far more societal damage, including psychiatric disorders, than weed could ever come close to.

The drunk husband beats his wife while the stoner husband eats her dinner.

1 Like

Clearly you don’t work in an inner city high school. You might be better off releasing the tension on your mind a few turns. Open it up a bit.

Or simply orders a now $25 cheese pizza.

1 Like

Thanks Obama!

2 Likes

For that, and for $10 pack a smokes in NY. That guy broke everything.

That’s unfortunate. Alcoholics are people who are struggling to cope with life.

I’m pro legalisation. I’m so far from my original point I don’t know what it was :rofl:

Thank you for the laughs guys. You made me chuckle. :hugs: