Weekend bike adventure photos

After a few no shows from the Northern Legion the only riders to depart bright and early Saturday morning were Capt. Stag and myself… we took the 3 down through the living hell of the sub-Taichung industrial filth factories that pass for the towns of ChangHua, DouLiu, etc until we eventually cleared (un)civilization and got out into the mountains near DaPu on the way to ZengWen Reservoir… from there the magic that is the mountains took over and the trip became a great mix of heat, awesome roads and scenery until the increase in altitude brought with it the welcome drop in temperature and pollution levels until we broke out into the Southern Cross Island Highway (a big name for a very small road) proper after YuJing… all the way up we were looking for a camp spot, but flat ground is hard to find up in the real mountains, but eventually after a shot in the dark and some light offroading, we lucked out with the best camp spot I’ve ever found in Taiwan, scenery off the scale… Being at about 3200m (10,000ft) up however, by the next morning I had a good case of altitude sickness and it was all I could do to pilot the GS over the intermittant “special stage” sections of dirt, mud and rocks that punctuate the Southern Cross (and Central in a lot of places) on both sides due to the frequent landslides etc… I held it together, just, and after a 45min nap/coma next to the road at what was more or less sea level, my body re-adjusted and like the flick of a light switch I went from feeling like death to looking forward to a good day’s ride… so up towards HuaLian it was, opting for the 9 instead of the “done it a million times” coastal road, we arrived in time for lunch in HuaLian, picked up some supplies, gassed up and went up to Tian Xiang… A pleasant afternoon swim in the river and a night in Tian Xiang was a welcome reward for the mind bending stupidity and endless lines of rubber necking cretins in cars that packed Taroko, making it all but impassable… Bright and early Monday morning we left Tian Xiang, stopped for peach coffee at the sacred tree, took a few photos on the top on HeHuan, and by noon the filthy GS was parked up at home in Taichung… Another “South-Central” lap to add to the list… great roads, great adventure and great weather though thanks to the post typhoon high pressure…

Here’s a few pics…

out of the city at last…

Zeng Wen Reservoir…

My bike at the uber temple…

Heavy rains all of last week = lots of waterfalls…

The middle of the infamous South Cross…

Capt. Stag tip-toeing over the offroad bits trying to keep his bike clean…

The pure high altitide light makes for great photos…

The million NT view…

Mountains to the left of us…

Waterfalls to the right… Doesn’t get much better…

The prerequisite sunset shot…

Lots of water in Tian Xiang’s river…

Superb weather on He Huan Shan…

Awesome pics. One of these days when I get a normal (2 day) weekend I’ll have to go riding with you guys.

Nice photos! Cheers!

I didn’t realise that you could get real altitude sickness from staying at just over 3000m for a while. I felt a bit dizzy once after just a couple of hours on Hehuanshan, but thought it might just have been tiredness or something.

Sounds like a great trip…Shit, I recognize your campsite.

I was in Taroko 3 weeks ago, and while the river was muddy, had nothing like the volume of water shown in your photos. There was however, a similar volume of people which was a real drag.

In all the times I’ve been over the SCIH, I’ve seen nothing but fog and rain on the east side of Yakou down to about 2200meters.

I’d be willing to meet you guys somewhere if you plan another one… :slight_smile:

like i said… i should be ok to get out and about for the 1st and 2nd weekend of september (missus and bubs will be away = freedom)… tho i’ll point out that i won’t be able to push 100% as the rear is (just a bit) low on tread

Great pics - looks like you both had alot of fun - the roads and scenery are spectacular in the mountains, especially the south cross.

Would you mind if I copy those pics to use on the net?

YEAAHHHH!
That’s the shit Plasmatron!

I miss those days. Maybe I should buy me anonther…bike?

I[quote] didn’t realise that you could get real altitude sickness from staying at just over 3000m for a while. I felt a bit dizzy once after just a couple of hours on Hehuanshan, but thought it might just have been tiredness or something.[/quote]

10,000ft is the point at which most people will start to suffer altitude sickness, especially if the amount of time one spends there is prolonged.
Oxygen is required for crew of all planes not pressurised at this altitude.

Nice shots Plasmatron! :thumbsup:

Plasma just went out of town today. Give him a few days and he’ll probably check in and give you an answer.

Cheers

Just got back from a 1000 KM ride around the island.

I left Friday night and drove all night down the #1 Provincial road (which sucked and had too many stop lights ) to Kao Shiung County to a place called Lao Nong at the start of Hwy 20, arriving at about 10:00AM.

I met up with some of the Spaceman crowd who were presenting a check for over $100,000 NT. from their worldcup football pool (Way to go Gobshites Inc.!!!) to a school in Lao Nong. This provided yearly tuitions for afew underprivledged families in the area.

The 20 was great, one of the best rides on the island but too many landslides and dirt biking on a Fire Blade is no fun at all.

A lot of spooky tunnels and sheer drops that gave me a pucker factor of around 11.

I went across the twenty and hit the 9 riding up to Hua Lian then onto the 2 (not recommended at night but I have a fear factor of this road and wanted to get over it by riding it at night with no gravel trucks) and spent the night at my place in I-Lan.

Hairy roads!!

My pics aren’t as nice as Plasmatrons, did have more fog.

If you want to travel on it I’d do it before Typhoons and rain make it unpassable.

Am I a candidate for the Forumosa Iron Butt award for the summer of 2006?

[quote=“Bubba 2 Guns”]
Am I a candidate for the Forumosa Iron Butt award for the summer of 2006?[/quote]Jesus H. Christ. I’d have thought you’d had enough in the US… :notworthy:

You really enjoy riding…that’s great. I might enjoy such long trips…but with 3 dogs…I haven’t gotten a chance to find out yet…well, not on the new bike anyway.

Well dump your girlfriends and go and find out!!! :smiley:

I’m up for any long road trips of this nature…Have done Hualien return, Wuling farm return and several Northern-cross-island highway shots since upgrading to the Ninja

Serious fun. :sunglasses:

What do you consider a long trip?

I did a quick Taipei-Ping Xi-Jiu Fen-Shuang Xi ride this afternoon. (About 2 hours)

We could do a BBQ in Da Xi (I-Lan) and ya’ll could ride back home in the afternoon.

We should get Plasmatron up here or meet half way. Dogged is back from riding in the Sierras and might be talked into a ride in between international espionage missions.

Anybody heard if UK Biker Chick fixed her bike yet? With Motorcyclerider that would make 5!! :wink:

I’d invite Mordeth but he says he gets motion sickness in the twistys.

Dogged should be on your list.

HG

[quote=“Bubba 2 Guns”]What do you consider a long trip?

I did a quick Taipei-Ping Xi-Jiu Fen-Shuang Xi ride this afternoon. (About 2 hours)

We could do a BBQ in Daxi (Yilan) and ya’ll could ride back home in the afternoon.

We should get Plasmatron up here or meet half way. Dogged is back from riding in the Sierras and might be talked into a ride in between international espionage missions.

Anybody heard if UK Biker Chick fixed her bike yet? With Motorcyclerider that would make 5!! :wink:

I’d invite Mordeth but he says he gets motion sickness in the twistys.

[/quote]

Uk Biker chick’s bike isn’t fixed yet…and a shop was kind enough to lend her an Aprilia Tunono that self destructed itself when she was out for a ride!..She can fill in the details when she posts again…

A good place to have a BBQ is up on the #7 just after Baling…it’s accessible for northerners and central folk within a morning’s ride!..

Cheers

Stunning shots they are indeed. I think you’ve made me slightly greener and a lot more keen to get that bike I keep dreaming about. May I ask what sort of bike you think would be best suited for riding around Taiwan?

I am fit, 180cm, 75kg, have some riding experience of Honda CBR600, and although like the idea of a sports bike, will not turn my nose up at other options that can carry luggage, unless it is built by some cack handed workforce that will allow it to break down all the time (I assume Europeans as they can’t build cars very well, but I’m sure you gurs know better).