Weekend DPP protesters in Taipei are morons

Just a few thoughts on the on-going political squabbling here in Taiwan.

The pro-Chen DPP protesters that were up in Taipei on the weekend sure made me think there are a lot of DPP nut-jobs out there. They set up pics of Mayor Ma, Lien-Chan, James Soong, and others, including media types, and lined up to burn them, poke the eyes out with bamboo sticks, and hit them with their fists or other objects. What a bunch of morons. They are simply an embarrassment to the party.

Sure, protest (peacefully, mind you), express your opinion, all that, but this behavior makes me think they should do everyone in Taiwan a favor and not vote - period. When you are that stupid, we don’t need your vote for any party.
Grow up.

In Tainan the pro-A Bian, possibly pro-DPP, people set-up large pictures of people they don’t like and throw eggs at it. Then leave the mess on the street for someone else to clean up.
Also they run up to the sign and stand and curse at it. Quite weird…adults cursing and screaming at sily picture in plain sight on the street.

Kind of like the KMT egging of their own HQ and the street hysteria of the PFP, it’s probably best to let them all “fa xie” - get it out of their system.

HG

It was good TV last night, some good matches of footy along with the unexpected comedy goldmine that was the protests on TV. It might have been the couple pints of booze in me but seeing adults running up to posters and calling it every name in the book was the funniest thing I’ve seen in a while. Couple that with hitting it with umbrellas, spitting at it and pelting it with eggs just topped it off for me.

You have to feel for the people who live close to where the prosests took place though, can you imagine what gallons of spittle and a couple hundred eggs festering in 30+ degree heat must smell like?

[quote=“Huang Guang Chen”]Kind of like the KMT egging of their own HQ and the street hysteria of the PFP, it’s probably best to let them all “fa xie” - get it out of their system.

HG[/quote]

Bread and circuses?

And what happened to the TVBS reporters was also bound to happen some day. Although they proclaim to be neutral, the fact that they are only investigating the DPP people makes them a little bit too blue. Also, the way they put the stories makes them not as saints in the story. People should be wary of the tendencial analisys that TVBS makes (and also their own lack of mathematical skills is incredible (there is a story that I saw (have to find it) that they put the number 29.9% for a specific thing and the reporter says more than 30% for that same thing)).

But I would say to the DPP protesters that if they want to really piss off Chou Yi, why not show up his picture without toupee? That would have immideate results.

Also, to the DPP guy who started saying things “à la” Chou Yi, please stop, because if you go to the level of a stupid guy, you end up beaten by experience.

And let us not forget the fact that the “new son of Taiwan” sayd that the president should “die an horrible death”, which in a civilized country would be the equivalent to some time in jail, I guess, but not in Taiwan, no sir, you get out with a simple “oh shit, I spoken what I was thinking, so my mistake. Hey A-Bian, sorry about that, hein, friends, ok?”…

[quote=“TainanCowboy”]In Tainan the pro-A Bian, possibly pro-DPP, people set-up large pictures of people they don’t like and throw eggs at it. Then leave the mess on the street for someone else to clean up.
Also they run up to the sign and stand and curse at it. Quite weird…adults cursing and screaming at sily picture in plain sight on the street.[/quote]

Oh that’s how I need to let off steam about my boss in Taiwan. Damn, I still don’t understand Taiwan culture. :loco: :help:

I enjoy going down watching the TWese let steam off this way. It’s a bit comical and philosophical to watch people lose their heads over people who they gave power to. Might as well stay at home and scream into the mirror. I also enjoy the political freebees(if anyone has any to unload pm pls) because IMO it’s the only ‘real’ culture Taiwan has at the moment.

mr_boogie, Ma’s recent remarks that if Pres. Chen didn’t step down he would “die a horrible death” is referring to him dying a horrible political death, and not a threat to his life. Please don’t take quotes out of context. That was pretty lame.

Lame was Ma, when he used such provocative words. In the context they were used they even become more provocative. If Ma cannot use good sence and use wise words when in a rally, then for sure he is nothing more than a gangster. Not even Marlon Brando use such hard words in the Godfather…

Even if he was talking about the political life of CSB, the use of the word “die” is excessive and should be taken by the judicial blokes as an example to all the rest of the political class, who can now go on saying whatever they want. Ma set the new standard on political accusations and confrontation.

And the funniest part of all this rallies, is that the police, in the wake of Ma’s arrisal to power in 2 yeards, are now starting to paddle the horse’s ass…

No he didn’t. He said that if Chen Shuibian does not step down voluntarily and instead ends up being overthrown by the people, he will (not should) “si de hen nankan” - nankan meaning ugly or embarassing. So it meant that A-Bian would (not should) die an ugly or embarassing (political) death. The nearest English equivalent I can think of of what Ma said is “you will come to an ignominous end”. Ma and the KMT have since apologised for using the word “si” (die). (He said so on TV today - see also the article below.)

[quote]
國民黨中央:馬英九為「[color=blue]死得很難看[/color]」一語產生誤解道歉

[i]送交者: CRN 2006年6月13日22:42:12 于 [天下論壇]http://www.bbsland.com

國民黨中央:馬英九為「[color=blue]死得很難看[/color]」一語產生誤解道歉
2006/06/14 12:51 Video
記者倪鴻祥/台北報導[/i]

國民黨發言人鄭麗文14日上午表示,党主席馬英九今天投書媒体,對於在罷免案過程說出「[color=blue]你會死得很難看[/color]」等言論,向社會道歉,她表示,馬英九這樣的發言的确會引起誤解,馬英九愿意修正他的用詞。

有讀者投書報紙,質疑馬英九說出「[color=blue]你會死得很難看[/color]」、「子彈已經上膛,衹等扣下板机」等話不妥。馬英九投書回應,國民黨中央也同步作出道歉。

鄭麗文表示,馬英九當時在中常會里探討罷免議題,說出「[color=blue]死得很難看[/color]」,是帶有規勸的意思,但這樣的發言,馬英九也覺得會引起誤解﹔馬英九講完這句話後,就跟幕僚說,他講的這句話,可能會引起誤會,所以會修正他的用詞。

有關馬英九向媒体投書,為「[color=blue]你會死得很難看[/color]」一語提出道歉,馬英九在投書中指出,一週前面對陳總統處理家族貪瀆事件缺乏悔改誠意,他因一時气憤,才會用諸如「[color=blue]未來如被人民推翻,會死得很難看[/color]」等不妥言辭表達。

馬英九在投書里表示,這不但不符他一貫「口不出惡言」的自我要求,也對社會做了負面示範,事後他深感不安﹔馬英九在投書裡除了向社會大眾道歉外,未來他一定會注意修辭,謹慎發言。[/quote]Source

yet “come to an ignominous end” doesn’t quite say “die” as strongly as the chinese there. face it, words like these are not ad-libbed but chosen precisely, with apologies planned out before-hand. the fact that an apology was necessary shows pretty clearly that more responsible language should have been used, i might expect that from an egg throwing looney but the head of the kmt?

I see, so I take it you guys prefer KMT riots as opposed to angry demonstrations?

I guess some people just don’t understand an idiom, even if it bit them in the butt (of course, I am not really talking about biting someone). :slight_smile:

Maybe I just don’t agree with the idioms. Ever think of that?

If I started a post called “All Pan Reds are all idiots, and deservedly live shorter lives” then yeah I’m sure you’ll sort of be offended. But then again I don’t like your thread title either, its abrasive and troll baiting. I think you can do better than stooping so low.

Maybe I just don’t agree with the idioms. Ever think of that?

If I started a post called “All Pan Reds are all idiots, and deservedly live shorter lives” then yeah I’m sure you’ll sort of be offended. But then again I don’t like your thread title either, its abrasive and troll baiting. I think you can do better than stooping so low.[/quote]

Shrimpcrackers, maybe you just can’t deal with people having or expressing a different opinion from yours. Why don’t you stick to the Food Forum or something less difficult to deal with.

Also, it wasn’t LA’s thread, it was Mer’s, and there was nothing out of line about it. Quite well stated and on the money, in my opinion. I’m not a KMT or DPP or PFP supporter either. I could care less.

why don’t we just face the truth…the political arena in taiwan is full of morons…doesn’t matter if they’re blue or green…the kmt rally 2 weeks ago had kids attacking cut-outs of a-bians son-in-law…is that any way to teach kids to respect the first family?

taiwan is an immature democracy full of lots of politicians with very low eq’s (to use the term du jour)…it’s also personality and faction based rather than issue based…it’s also completely expected for all the major players to be on the take…thats what you go into politics here for…go have a look at lien chan’s dahsi properties; wonder where the money came from?

The term used by mayor ma was not a call for anything, I have heard it used in a few situations relating to a recent divorce of mine.

It means that you will hang yourself basically utilizing rope of your own making.

It’s never used literally as far as I know.

[quote=“mr_boogie”]Lame was Ma, when he used such provocative words. In the context they were used they even become more provocative. If Ma cannot use good sence and use wise words when in a rally, then for sure he is nothing more than a gangster. Not even Marlon Brando use such hard words in the Godfather…

[/quote]

Not sure if I agree with your analysis of the Chinese nuances in tone of voice.

It might be a good idea to try using someone else as your translator. Maybe someone who is less politically opinionated and whose Mandarin is a bit better.

As far as I know my wife’s mandarin is good enough, and she is less DPP than what you think. In fact, she is completelly against stupid polititians, and it is not hard to be anti-DPP or anti-KMT if you use that levelling.

Anyway, in the end, pseudo candidates to the presidency should be more carefull with their words, as for sure they can be backfired in any moment. So, in my pov, what Ma sayd is too harsh, provocative and unreasonable.

Wait, this is the same wife that’s moving to Europe if the Blues wins in 2008?