Weird amount of speeding tickets for red plate

I assume you’re joking, but for the math-deficient out there, that would be less than 1 hour of time saved all the way from Taipei to Kaohsiung, and assuming typical traffic conditions you wouldn’t even be able to hit 160 for long enough to save more than 20-30 minutes.

For those who have a “need for speed”, please consider the HSR. It goes 300 kph and is much, much safer than driving even half that on our crowded freeways :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I just go the speed of traffic. I never even bothered to check the speed limits anymore in Taiwan. Mostly because I’m used to miles and not kilometers per hour. So I never got a gauge of what kilometers per hour feels like.

Never ASSuME

You admittedly and knowingly committed a speeding violation.

And surprise you get caught and penalized?

It’s like saying, I stole one candy from Family Mart, then went to the next 7/11 and stole another candy, then to the next Hi-Mart and stole another candy. Then I realized I was caught for all three stores by camera and get penalized for it. o.O

It’s a different story, if you did not speed up and get speeding ticket.

1 Like

Reading through all the comments now makes sense as to why there are so many reckless and dumb drivers in Taiwan. It’s astonishing how many occasions did I see pedestrians have to STOP for cars and not the other way around. It’s ridiculous.

You have the green light for people to walk - and yet these cars and motorcycle still try to insist on passing by. One time, I was literally sandwich by two turning cars. Lots of people were crossing. And yet a taxi was trying to pass in front of me, while I was walking in the pedestrian lane. I made a sharp look at him.

Severals occasions in Academia Sinica I have to stop for cars. One time, I was walking along pedestrian lane, luckily I was not in the center of the lane, I stopped because there is this car which DID NOT bother stopping. Another time, in the same spot, I did not stop this time, and the car only stop (not even slowing down properly) in a very uncomfortable distance from me. Then there’s more occasions wherein, the parked car was leaving the institute out to the main road, they did not bother stopping and look at pedestrian. THEY JUST ASSUME I HAVE TO STOP. One of them is not even looking at the road while running a car out to known pedestrian route. Had I been a kid who is impulsive and running around, I have been run over.

They should reinforce better driving here, by sending these violators to do more driving lessons.

So, it’s not the same.

Many of the tickets were from the same road within a very limited time frame, so it’s more like stealing from 711 3 different items all in one go

Besides, stealing and speeding are not really the same as I’m sure you are aware if you work at academia sinica

One is a criminal offence, one is not.

Speeding is closer to littering than stealing

You want to nitpick on small details? Fine. If that makes you feel better. Besides, if you do litter three times in the same spot, it still three times the offense you committed. You know the first time you did is wrong and get caught by a speeding camera, then you still did not correct it and get caught by another camera, then again for the third time. Maybe you can go to the authorities and ask if they offer a special discount of buy 3 take 2 free. lol.

I don’t know if there is a process of contesting here in Taiwan, but if you think you are unfairly targeted then maybe you can try changing the system and let you slide on committing a speeding violation. I’m pretty certain you are not so special and get targeted because you are on motorcycle.

1 Like

So, I got no issue with the tickets per se, I earned them.

But, I found the enforcement odd as I never got tickets before

If I had a vote in the matter the fines and enforcement would be increased(and I would adjust my behaviour in traffic accordingly)

So the only thing that will cause you to behave safely and not act like an entitled moron (morran?) is to have higher fines?

2 Likes

I think road safety is important and taiwan has a lot to do in this area, but if rest of society doesn’t think so why should I ? I’m just a guest here at the moment, and if I have no(or very little say) in how society is governed I’ll just go with the rules(and customs) as they are

I don’t throw trash everywhere, irrespective of the fact the fines for doing so are small, why ? Because society thinks that’s not cool (plus it’s kind of dick)

The same cannot be said of following traffic rules unfortunately

Who here hasn’t changed lanes without using the turn signal ?

Ah, some good old whataboutism. Nice one.

It wasn’t meant to be that, so sorry if it came out like that.

Was just saying, in a long way, yes to your question

Me.

One can kill, the other can’t.

1 Like

I guess that I have spent most of my life “speeding”, but not on public roads.
I enjoy large Bikes and , indeed I bought one here. Sadly , due to the complete lack of spatial awareness in Taiwan, on the roads, I soon discovered that , if you ride within safety margins, and presume everyone is oblivious to you, you will always remain on edge and actually riding slower than in the USA or UK/Europe.
There was little enjoyment and I sold the Bike. Too many risks for any enjoyment. In a decade , I have received 2 or 3 speeding tickets, in spite of having sports cars. There is a reason…I just worked out that the risks to myself and others are too high to go fast. It is a shame but reality here. There is a new racetrack in Taichung, and Dapeng 1, but they are the only places to genuinely speed.
I love my speed , really , but the roads of Taiwan are just not the place .

1 Like

driver-what-ami-supposed-to-do-with-this-speeding-ticket-4548006

Honestly the saddest part about this discussion is absolutely zero reflection on your part. Entitlement and whataboutism, with no reflection on whether or not maybe you should reconsider your driving habits to provide a safer environment for you and those around you.

I have known 2 people with your attitude who got themselves killed on their scooters. I can’t honestly believe anyone in this day and age with access to an entire internet of information can still buy the “it won’t happen to me” nonsense.

Slow down, friend.

2 Likes

lots of local drivers get tickets on a regular basis, let’s say at least 3-5 per month. they just pay it and look at it the same as a parking ticket. the fines are just too cheap and there’s no point system in place. imo if there was a point system in place, the whole economy would collapse. 90% of the blue truck drivers would get fired, mob bosses couldn’t drive their bmw’s to meetings. the shortage of binlang would certainly cause nationwide turmoil.

6 Likes

Avoiding speeding tickets. Don’t drive!

Where did I here that one before?