Weird things about Taiwan

What are the weirdest things about Taiwan?

Not necessarily exclusive to Taiwan (e.g. Some weird stuff like using umbrellas in the sun because they don’t want tans, exists across a lot of Asia) but which occurs/is done here none the less.

This is the thread you are looking for:

3 Likes

But that’s wack, not weird! Wait one moment. I’m not sure we have a thread quite like this, unbelievably

People seem to do nothing but complain about it when they live here, but then miss it dearly after they leave.

5 Likes

I still find it weird when I travel south and the climate and vegetation changes so quickly. Almost like a different country.

1 Like

This is a good one. I notice it particularly on the East Coast, north of Hualien.

How the (mostly younger) girls wear hair rollers in public.

3 Likes

Also how they (not just girls) use carry-on luggage as an alternative to backpacks for everyday carry.

I actually like it, it makes sense, but still weird.

1 Like

I think the wack and whack threads have this well covered? :thinking:

1 Like

Wack and weird are two different degrees of judgement. I would not call any of the things here so far “wack,” which implies a wrongness, whereas “weird” can just be used to mean strange.

Another is how they have the definitive hand gesture for only the number 6 - nothing else above 5 is clear unless in context - and made extra weird is that technically the number of fingers for that gesture is 7.

2 Likes

Not new, but still …

The short length of the dresses appears to make it very difficult for the women to bend over

Taiwan is not wack or weird…
I’d say it’s more surreal.

Taiwanese have a weakness towards people making lines…

I bet all my money that f you see a line of people and you ask the last guy in the line :
" What are you doing here? " he will reply: " I just saw the line and just join it, don’t know what it’s for but I’m sure is good "

So the best marketing idea if you want to promote your business , just make a giant board with the words: " Please wait in line " and you will get hundreds of clients.