Western Parenting vs Eastern Parenting

Post? What beer?

Nah she doesn’t physically do anything. They’re pretty chill. A little more regimented than I want at times but they’re more loose in the states. TW educated kids that come over here are pretty set up.

1 Like

Set up how? Not following.

They’re bilingual in Chinese and English in NYC, and because they’ve been put through the strict TW ed system school here seems easy for them. So in terms of job seeking/academic success it gives them a leg up bc they have good study habits.

I feel like the hardest thing about being a parent of TW kids in TW is keeping them on their toes creatively. That comes a lot more naturally here.

3 Likes

I don’t want to overgeneralize. I’ll just say that my priority is having children who are happy and satisfied with their lives. My Taiwanese wife is more about family obligations and helping out the clan.

I’m reading that you saying TW kids in the US have it easier because of the strict TW Ed system but keeping them creative in TW isn’t easy?

Creativity in the US? Hmmm depends on what’s creative. I don’t see US kids being creative. Creativity begs for a level of individuality that IMHO social media/internet has cramped. Unless that kid is in a high level school (upper middle class rich).

I’m just getting back to the US; I teach at a University. My students are definitely affected by social media but they’re surprisingly self aware of the negative aspects about it. If anything they catch me up on stuff.

re kids: I took them to see Lord Finesse in a park jam! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes there is a LOT of repetition in music for nearly all, but a few can just pick it up by ear without having any formal teaching and even before the Internet existed. I don’t know how but they just can. Recent research has shown playing music is one of the most promising areas for recovery of brain damage caused by trauma. Playing a musical instruments helps to improve connectivity between the left and right hemispheres of the brain.

Yeah. I saw some evidence for this as well. That’s why I think it’s always positive to get your child into music. I personally wish I kept up playing the piano and cello. I hated it but now I love listening to it. Very sad.

1 Like